• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,423 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

Personally, I call BS. It's the internet!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you believe it strongly enough, then for you it is true.

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#42 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

A good fan can bash their own team. Its out of love and high expectations. A bad fan imo is one that never sees a fault in the team they follow
  • southend likes this
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#43 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

good fans loves the sport. this topic is dumb.

Edited by hammerlockthree, 12 February 2018 - 03:59 PM.

#44 OrangeEffect

OrangeEffect
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:05 PM

A good fan can bash their own team. Its out of love and high expectations. A bad fan imo is one that never sees a fault in the team they follow

I’d say somewhere between the two. A good fan doesn’t bash their team. Maybe finds faults but not bashing. Well maybe if you are a Browns fan it would be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • russelscout likes this

#45 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:47 PM

Northwestern, I guess, but I generally prefer individuals and storylines.

• xander likes this

#46 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

Third generation hawkeye here dating back to my grandmother in the 50s so I’ve always been an Iowa fan.

Moved to a small wrestling town in 99 and started the sport and following the Iowa program.

Totally immersed myself when the “transfers” came in as Jay Borschel and Dan LeClere each grew up about 15 min from where I was from. Knew LeClere and his brothers, would say barely an acquaintance with Borschel.

Edited by Witherman, 12 February 2018 - 03:57 PM.

• xander and Medicine_Man like this

#47 Peso

Peso

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

I have favorite teams (OU/OSU), but I also become a fan of individual wrestlers for different things. A good interview can win me over pretty easy.

This is how I do it too.  I love the way other schools wrestle, and follow several teams and a lot of individuals, but my team is OSU with OU next.

#48 CoachPrebes

CoachPrebes
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:11 AM

Born and raised in State College, PA. Went to my first Penn State matches when I was six or seven in the middle of the Rich Lorenzo era. Penn State class of 1996, so I was and will always be a Penn State fan. Lorenzo's teams got me into the sport; because of guys like NCAA champions Carl DeStafanis, Jimmy Martin, and Scott Lynch, and All-Americans John Hanrahan and Eric Brugel I got involved in wrestling. Fritz had some studs: Prescott, Abe, Sunderland, etc...Sunderland had some good guys, and now Cael has the program firing on all cylinders. 

Coach Prebes
Assistant Wrestling Coach
20th World Maccabiah Games

#49 silverback

silverback

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:04 AM

My high school coach took me to a Gopher meet in 1964.  We still go together.  I have been to 30+ NCAA tournaments.  It has been a great pastime. Go Gophers!

• Gantry, Witherman, WrestlingFan89 and 1 other like this

#50 rcoates1

rcoates1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

2005 Wyoming when I moved here after college. I pull for all the Colorado kids scattered throughout the nation as well.

#51 bbresslin1

bbresslin1
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

PSU.  Started when I went to my first NLO in 92-93ish?  Went to watch Bruce Morgan who graduated from my HS and wrestled at Cornell.  It was Kolat's freshman year. We would get the PSU matches occasionally on the local radio station. (How far have we come!!) Went to Clarion to play golf in 97, but later transferred to PSU Altoona ( I do still root for Clarion as well, went to many camps there when Angle, Payne, Sintobin, Stout, Thomas were there in the early to mid 90's)

• xander likes this

#52 HokieFan

HokieFan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

I was an average high school wrestler - not good enough to wrestle D1.  I wanted to go to VT, and was accepted early admission, so I knew I was going there early on in my senior year.  At some point that year, VT was wrestling at George Mason and my coach took me to see the match and introduced me to Coach Cheynet from VT.  He told me something to the effect of that I could try to walk on but they were under some type of NCAA sanction at the time and did not have scholarships (not that I was good enough anyway). My memory of that is hazy so I hope that's accurate. I entertained the idea of walking on until I got to campus and discovered all of the things you can get into on a college campus that don't go along with being a student athlete.  Anyway, I graduated, moved to Richmond and lost touch with the sport for years.  Then around 2007 or 2008, VT and UVA had a dual at a local high school which I checked out and have been closely following the team since then.

• xander likes this

#53 HoundedHawk

HoundedHawk

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

About 50 years.  Heard of Gable when I was a little boy.  I followed him over to Iowa.

#54 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:35 PM

this topic is flys to sh!t

• xander and stonerd7 like this

#55 OkieChippewa

OkieChippewa

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:50 AM

I'll let the board figure out for whom I root.  "I'll take OC for 99 cents, Alex."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users