Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

I loved the Snyder for Hodge Era...

Meredith weighs in at the 141 weight class, Joseph weighs in at the 165 weight class

Snyder weighs in at the 285 weight class, Coon weighs in at the 285 weight class.

Not similar at all.

Physically, it’s exactly the same. Don’t be obtuse.

hey you know crazier things have happened. If Coon wins out and is 3-0 vs Snyder, he's got a strong case. And they slant this award any number of ways, beating Snyder 3x would be a pretty good angle.

I say throw Coon in Hodge race if he is 3-0 vs Snyder.

Edited by PRyan2012

If Coon goes undefeated and beats Snyder 3 times this season I say he fully handsdown deserves the Hodge

not sure why?  Hodge was a pinner.  The Hodge award is about total season domination, etc., not beating the same guy 3 times.  His #s would still not be close to ZR's.

Imo it wouldn't even be close.

I hear you but Zain's numbers are off the charts when you look at Hodge criteria. Assuming he dominates through NCAAs. Coon winning surely would be one of those special circumstances. We all can not deny it would be because Snyder is P4P best in the world.

not sure why? Hodge was a pinner. The Hodge award is about total season domination, etc., not beating the same guy 3 times. His #s would still not be close to ZR's.

You’re right that he wouldn’t have numbers like ZR but his numbers aren’t terrible either. 22-0 at the moment with 9 falls, 2 techs, and 4 majors. And then add the possibility of 3-0 vs Snyder as well.

He probably wouldn’t get it but he would have a good case

Edited by tec87

I will say this, it would be VERY hard for the committee not to give it to an undefeated Coon, IF he beats Snyder 2 more times.  Especially, since Retherford already has one.  This should be even more true considering what the odds would be for him not only staying undefeated, but beating Snyder 3 times in 1 season!

WOAH WOAH WOAH THERE... the disadvantage only exists when its "our" guy facing the disadvantage.

I missed the threads where it was debated that Snyder didn’t have a size advantage on Sadulaev.

But now I’m confused. Did Snyder have an advantage over Sadulaev or did Coon not have one over Snyder?

I missed the threads where it was debated that Snyder didn’t have a size advantage on Sadulaev.

But now I’m confused. Did Snyder have an advantage over Sadulaev or did Coon not have one over Snyder?

Where were those threads? On the Int'l board? Regardless, Snyder did have a size advantage there. Still counts cause nobody made Sadulaev wrestle Snyder. He chose that route himself. 

I missed the one bitching and moaning on behalf of Sadulaev

Snyder bigger than Sadulaev = wrestled at same weight class.

Coon bigger than Snyder = wrestled at same weight class.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I missed the one bitching and moaning on behalf of Sadulaev

Snyder bigger than Sadulaev = wrestled at same weight class.

Coon bigger than Snyder = wrestled at same weight class.

Thats fine. I just wanted to clear up the imaginary argument that anyone claimed that snyder had no size advantage on Sadulaev.

You guys get a bit carried away knocking down pretend villains, like that this thread is full of bitching and moaning.

Thats fine. I just wanted to clear up the imaginary argument that anyone claimed that snyder had no size advantage on Sadulaev.

You guys get a bit carried away knocking down pretend villains, like that this thread is full of bitching and moaning.

Yes Coon has a size advantage over Snyder.

Anyone who denies that is an idiot.

At the same time Snyder and Coon are in the same weight class. All this nonsense of him "bumping" up or it being unfair is lame. They are in the same weight class.

Again, NO ONE ever complains that Kasper who is the same size as Snyder has to wrestle guys bigger than him.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

There were guys on this board arguing all last week that Snyder is the best folkstyler in the NCAA and deserves the Hodge hands down.   When he was held to a single escape point and soundly defeated, they had to come up with something in order to explain how the best wrestler fared so poorly.  The excuse of choice is the size difference.   Never mind Snyder is the 2 time defending champion at 285 lbs.    

There were guys on this board arguing all last week that Snyder is the best folkstyler in the NCAA and deserves the Hodge hands down.   When he was held to a single escape point and soundly defeated, they had to come up with something in order to explain how the best wrestler fared so poorly.  The excuse of choice is the size difference.   Never mind Snyder is the 2 time defending champion at 285 lbs.    

See, the thing is he brought hell with him to Penn State, but then he forgot to bring it to Michigan. 

It's amazing to me how some folks will seek to spin things and engage in confirmation bias.  Snyder is clearly NOT the best folkstyle college wrestler (a) overall (either career or "GOAT") and (b) NOT the best collegiate wrestler this year (based on Hodge criteria or other reasonable metrics).   

The only question and arguable point that remains is © whether he is even the best guy at his weight class this season.  Based on results to this point in time, he is NOT; though if he beats Coon two times (i.e., both times) in the coming months, it can reasonably be claimed he is the best 285 lb-er this season.  If this were any other wrestler or weight, people wouldn't even be attempting these fallacious claims and arguments.   

Snyder is just too incomplete to be considered the best.    His supporters point to his world level elite take downs and claim that's enough to offset his lack of pinning, his lack of turns, his lack of a dynamic skill set.       We just saw him held to a single point and no take downs.   Last week the excuse was jet lag.  This week it's weight.   It becomes clear these people aren't interested in reality, they want to avoid accepting they are incorrect.   

Snyder is a very good folk style wrestler, having risen to as high as #2 at 197 despite 4 losses and being pinned and currently #2 with a single loss at heavyweight.     He has shown that regardless of either weight class, he's at or near the top.   He's one of the most successful.    I wish him the best.  I don't know that he will beat Coon, but I look forward to the bout if it happens.   

Snyder is just too incomplete to be considered the best.    His supporters point to his world level elite take downs and claim that's enough to offset his lack of pinning, his lack of turns, his lack of a dynamic skill set.       We just saw him held to a single point and no take downs.   Last week the excuse was jet lag.  This week it's weight.   It becomes clear these people aren't interested in reality, they want to avoid accepting they are incorrect.   

Snyder is a very good folk style wrestler, having risen to as high as #2 at 197 despite 4 losses and being pinned and currently #2 with a single loss at heavyweight.     He has shown that regardless of either weight class, he's at or near the top.   He's one of the most successful.    I wish him the best.  I don't know that he will beat Coon, but I look forward to the bout if it happens.   

Here is what is funny.

Weight is brought up as an excuse for Snyder losing to Coon, but dismissed as a reason Snyder beat Sadulaev. Well, which is it? Can't be one, but not the other.