ODU vs. Ohio...???

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 MikePorcelli

MikePorcelli
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:58 AM

I've seen the AED in action and I'm certified to use it. This machine works extremely well in a very critical situation. The price needs to come down so that they can be purchased by the average person. I believe they cost upwards of $3,000...not a cheap price. As was stated earlier, the machine will walk you through each step with simple directions.

#42 jchapman

jchapman

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:11 AM

I've seen the AED in action and I'm certified to use it. This machine works extremely well in a very critical situation. The price needs to come down so that they can be purchased by the average person. I believe they cost upwards of $3,000...not a cheap price. As was stated earlier, the machine will walk you through each step with simple directions.

And just to add, there are several ways to get funding/grants to purchase AEDs, especially in a school setting.

Record Holder:  Most Escapes in a Season

#43 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:27 AM

Any administrator (many of which are making 6 figures) in ANY school environment who thinks $3000 is too much for an AED doesn't deserve to be an administrator.

#44 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:43 AM

Like I said, I admit I should have worded it differently.  Also, I think you are reading too much into it.  Why do you insist I am anti-religion?

Because there is literally no other reason to single out someone for wanting to offer up prayers in a life or death situation and then discredit them completely by essentially calling modern medicine superior.

• John Coctostan likes this

#45 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

Honest question about AEDs - we have them in the wrestling room and a portable one that goes to tourneys with the varsity team (the youth doesnt get to take it, but there should be at least one at every event we go to) - but my question is this: are they hard to use? We've never been provided training on using one and I'd be scared that if something happened at practice, no one would know how to use the thing.

This whole thing makes me think I need to push to get us coaches some training.

The machine is actually designed such that a child can use it successfully. You open it, turn it on and it will talk you through everything step by step.

#46 Jasonmitchell32

Jasonmitchell32

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the insight on the AEDs.  I guess Im really more worried about someone freezing up when the need to use it.  Im pushing for the training as it will help alleviate some fear.

The school provides AEDs for wrestling but we also use the varisty room so its not just for us.  The booster club got one additional one I think.

We got something that helps for our youth lacrosse program (the youth is not under the umbrella of the high school) - not sure if its a grant or what, but the machines were only like $300/each or something.  The issue comes up every year, though, that they need serviced, batteries changed out, etc., because they sit in a shed from June to February every year.

#47 straitshooter

straitshooter
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the insight on the AEDs.  I guess Im really more worried about someone freezing up when the need to use it.  Im pushing for the training as it will help alleviate some fear.

The school provides AEDs for wrestling but we also use the varisty room so its not just for us.  The booster club got one additional one I think.

We got something that helps for our youth lacrosse program (the youth is not under the umbrella of the high school) - not sure if its a grant or what, but the machines were only like $300/each or something.  The issue comes up every year, though, that they need serviced, batteries changed out, etc., because they sit in a shed from June to February every year.

I've taught CPR, BLS (healthcare provider version) and ACLS (in-hospital cardiac arrest) courses for several years now.  Ironically, although I've done compressions and used manual defibrillators many times, I've never seen an AED used - always been near a full code cart when needed.  Anyway, your concern is the true issue, they are pretty mindless to use.  It's more about having the nerve to use it and hit the button when it tells you to if you've never seen it done before.  Also, this is not the time for modesty.  If it's a woman, you have get everything out of the way and get, um, hands on to get the pads onto bare skin - the system can't do its job through clothing.  If you're a brawny wrestler type but someone else is handling the machine, you can chase away any gawkers, or at least form a ring around the individual for privacy.  I could go on at length here, but every adult should know the basic procedure for using an AED.  The alleged scenario here is the ideal one for cardiac arrest; an otherwise healthy person whose heart suddenly stopped pumping blood, witnessed event, immediate action.  You'd hate to be there when you see an 'AED' on the wall - and no one knows/is willing to use it.

• Jasonmitchell32 likes this

#48 straitshooter

straitshooter
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

A clarification or two on the last post.  In a situation that appears to be the case here, emergency providers will quickly remove all clothing from the upper body - male, female, young, old - trauma scissors cut through just about anything.  If you have, say, a dozen people standing there doing nothing else, have them form a tight circle, shoulder to shoulder, facing out.  You can't always move the patient immediately, and if you see any inappropriate gawking, well, put a stop to it.  On batteries, etc, I had a few classes 'on-site', where the company I taught for send me to the school, business, etc.  Part of the contract was to check all their AEDs while there from a standard checklist: two unexpired batteries, unopened set of pads, machine turns on when activated, etc.  If it fails, let them know what needs replacing/repairs/whatever.  As CPR certification is only good for two years, that should be the max time between maintenance checks.  When you're looking to buy AEDs, ask if they have followup like this; if not, consider another supplier.

Getting ready to head to the gym, and yes, they have an AED.  It's funny, whatever your world is, that's the prism you look through.  My reserve unit had a briefing shortly after the Las Vegas shooting by a full-time police officer, he said the first thing he does on entering any room is determine all the exits.  Since I started teaching CPR/etc courses, I go in a public building, I look for the AED. I don't want to waste time looking if it's needed.  (and per my colleague, I know where the exits are, too.)

• Jasonmitchell32 likes this

#49 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:32 AM

Lots of great info here. It's nice to know that AEDs are user-friendly; I've taken CPR classes but don't recall there being any mention of those units. Although maybe not required, I think AED training would be helpful to not only get people confident and familiar with the units, but also to impart good practices and context. Like the stuff about removing upper body clothing and forming an outward-facing circle is good stuff. The details about batteries and maintenance, also excellent. Also situational stuff, like when to use it (I assume if CPR doesn't work and there's no breathing) and when not to. I really have no idea, but feel like I should know.

I've actually noticed the AED at my old gym, partly because it was in kind of an unusual spot on the wall in a high traffic area - I think it was plugged in and charging there? - and because it would beep whenever someone jostled it. But I guess that's a lot better than stashing it in some obscured corner.

#50 jchapman

jchapman

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:37 AM

Lots of great info here. It's nice to know that AEDs are user-friendly; I've taken CPR classes but don't recall there being any mention of those units. Although maybe not required, I think AED training would be helpful to not only get people confident and familiar with the units, but also to impart good practices and context. Like the stuff about removing upper body clothing and forming an outward-facing circle is good stuff. The details about batteries and maintenance, also excellent. Also situational stuff, like when to use it (I assume if CPR doesn't work and there's no breathing) and when not to. I really have no idea, but feel like I should know.

I've actually noticed the AED at my old gym, partly because it was in kind of an unusual spot on the wall in a high traffic area - I think it was plugged in and charging there? - and because it would beep whenever someone jostled it. But I guess that's a lot better than stashing it in some obscured corner.

You put the pads on the person, and the machine reads the electrical activity of the heart.  It will not let you defibrillate unless it is appropriate to do so. 

Record Holder:  Most Escapes in a Season

#51 rpbobcat

rpbobcat
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

During the ESNPU broadcast today Billy Baldwin interviewed Austin Reese.

He said he's recovered from what happened.

His wrestling days are over,but he said he hopes to coach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users