Taha Akgul training at tOSU

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 AHamilton

AHamilton
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

I will try to get a general translation tomorrow from a Turkish guy I work with.

Sorry- I've been pretty busy this week. I did get my friend to give me a general translation: 

Says he is going to the US to train for a month.  Talks about getting different partners.  Specifically mentions Snyder.  Says Snyder has a reputation like him, as one of the best wrestlers in the world.  Looking forward to it.  Says the training in the US is different than in Turkey.  Said something specific about HOW it is different, but my friend didn't know how to translate.  (Prob something wrestling specific that friend didn't understand.)  Said Akgul sounds excited and looks forward to it.

Nothing ground breaking, but that's the gist of it...

#22 Illifornia

Illifornia

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

So I'm as pro-America as the next guy, but Akgul would take 9 of 10 from Bruce imo. Watch him take down Gwiz five times in three minutes. And what heavvyweight has ever had par terre that was even comparable? How he lost in the finals last year I can't comprehend but I wouldn't look for a repeat of history this year.

I'd have to take Taymazov over Bruce as well. Absolute beast.

Even without the sauce? Because I don’t count his results. Tervel should have a medal. It’s not like wasn’t juiced to the gills at the Olympics 4 years older than the one he got popped at.
  • pjm46 and cjc007 like this

#23 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

So I'm as pro-America as the next guy, but Akgul would take 9 of 10 from Bruce imo.   Watch him take down Gwiz five times in three minutes. And what heavvyweight has ever had par terre that was even comparable?   How he lost in the finals last year I can't comprehend but I wouldn't look for a repeat of history this year. 

I'd have to take Taymazov over Bruce as well.  Absolute beast. 

He is 5-2 against Geno and has beat Geno badly a couple of times. He is the best Heavy probably ever. He has one weakness-his gas tank. Geno came back at the end last year after Akgul took it to him early. I expect him to retake his throne. Taymazov was juiced up-he does not even count in GOAT rankings. I agree he is probably better than big B but lets see if Tahan can last 4 cycles. If he does that then he will probably be GOAT. I don't see Snyder bumping up and beating this guy!

#24 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:45 PM

He is 5-2 against Geno and has beat Geno badly a couple of times. He is the best Heavy probably ever. He has one weakness-his gas tank. Geno came back at the end last year after Akgul took it to him early. I expect him to retake his throne. Taymazov was juiced up-he does not even count in GOAT rankings. I agree he is probably better than big B but lets see if Tahan can last 4 cycles. If he does that then he will probably be GOAT. I don't see Snyder bumping up and beating this guy!

You may be right, but Geno is also 4 years younger.  Geno is only 23, and it's possible he has become his equal (or better) since many of those losses were during his development. Adam Coon is also 23 for reference.  

Edited by Billyhoyle, 17 February 2018 - 06:45 PM.

• pjm46 and PRyan2012 like this

#25 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:47 AM

I have a hard time with anything Taymazov.  He didn't compete on a level playing field and we really don't know how long he was on Vitamin S.

• PRyan2012 likes this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#26 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:31 AM

That size difference between Akgul and Snyder in those videos is pretty severe. I'm not suggesting that Akgul simply horsed Kyle around the mat, but even for a kid as good as Kyle, that weight differential is a major barrier to success against a guy who moves as well as Akgul does.

These two fellows are among the few big guys I could watch drill and go short live goes all day long.

I would love to see Kyle reach out to Reza Yazdani (if healthy and in shape) AND Hassan Yazdani Charati to have them come over and workout for a few weeks to a month. That'd be very cool. I also wonder if Sadulaev would be open to such an invitation.

Outside of team camps, has J'Den Cox worked out with KS?

• PRyan2012 likes this

#27 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:50 AM

He even posted the Coon loss on his YouTube page, so he definitely doesn’t have issues showing himself taking a lump or two.

I love this kid's humility and desire to constantly improve. He comes off as a really thoughtful, passionate, and measured young man. Every now and again, I have my own kids listen to him speak in his videos to show them that you can be the best at what you do, be confident and focused, but you don't have to be an unrepentant @$$#*!e while you do those things.

I've become a big fan of Kyle Snyder and think that he has surrounded himself with people who've gotten it right to assist in his development on, but especially off the mat.

• TheOhioState, TheRealOne9050, Housebuye and 1 other like this

#28 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

Legend.

Says a lot that he is willing to bring in a guy that will beat him on his own mats in front of his coaches and team. Says even more that he is willing to post it publicly.

Snyder is a special kind of human. His humility is incrdible. Yes he has many natural gifts, but his mind is what truly separates him from the other freak athletes out there
  • TheRealOne9050 and AllISeeIsBronze like this

#29 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:26 PM

I still say say Kyle is better P4P. 50-60lbs at this level when both are Olympic champs is just not fair. Snyder is the best ever. He just is and I am a PSU fan! He is what Dan Gable could have been if Gable would have wrestled all comers and wrestled 4 cycles or Cael but Cael couldn't be that guy because of his media shyness. Kyle has it all and is doing it all!!!!  

• Housebuye likes this

#30 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:07 AM

I still say say Kyle is better P4P. 50-60lbs at this level when both are Olympic champs is just not fair. Snyder is the best ever. He just is and I am a PSU fan! He is what Dan Gable could have been if Gable would have wrestled all comers and wrestled 4 cycles or Cael but Cael couldn't be that guy because of his media shyness. Kyle has it all and is doing it all!!!!

I hope he keeps this high level fir another 2 cycles.

Before he is labeled the best US guy ever he needs to win another Olympic gold and a few more world titles.

I have him at 3 right now.
Smith
Burroughs
Snyder

#31 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:12 AM

I hope he keeps this high level fir another 2 cycles.

Before he is labeled the best US guy ever he needs to win another Olympic gold and a few more world titles.

I have him at 3 right now.
Smith
Burroughs
Snyder

True but unless he gets injured I don't see it through Tokyo. If he wins through 2020 he is the best because the guy just wrestles everyone anytime and anywhere!!! That was sorely needed in our sport! Dave Schultz is the only one like him that was an all around great in all faucets. He needs to beat Coon in a few weeks or that will take a little shine off his all around GOAT status.

#32 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

Taha Akgul btw seems like a super nice guy, a video of him training with kids with Down syndrome: 

• Tofurky, pjm46, PRyan2012 and 3 others like this

#33 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,589 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:15 AM

Looks like Akgul would be favorite over Snyder. Amazing how Snyder sets these matches up!!!! He is the best in the world because he seeks all comers! I know Geno beat him but most would say this guy is the best heavyweight in the world. 5-2 record over Geno. Snyder would be competitive but I bet we don't see Snyder bumping up for another supermatch:

https://www.youtube....h?v=2GRoXp-880s

https://www.youtube....h?v=X9k7RGwQt_Q

Akgul wins two minute goes! He looks to be to much for Kyle

Snyder is such a class act posting that stuff. 

I think the same reason Snyder beats Sadulaev he loses to Agkul. Size matters when the rest is equal. Snyder just looks tiny compared to Agkul. 

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users