unbiased

Still the Best

Probably, yes. I view Snyder's loss to Coon as less damning than Sadulaev's loss to Snyder. Both were wrestling up but the size disparity was much greater for the former. I still view them as 1A and 1B with guys like Geno, Chamizo, and Yazdani-Charati rounding out my top 5 in no particular order. 

Ok the size difference argument is getting old. Both are HWTs. Lou Banach won 2 NCAA titles and often wrestled bigger guys. At the time he hovered around 210.

The past 10-15 years guys in the 220-230 range have done just fine at HWT and won their fair share of titles and AA honors. 

It takes a lot to always be at your peak.

Snyder has been wrestling the best in multiple styles. His schedule would be difficult for anyone. I am just glad that the upset came in the United States rather than overseas.

I actually am much more okay with Snyder winning his third title now that he's suffered a loss so that they "greatest college wrestler ever" thing is dead.  He's a great college wrestler but his lack of matches has allowed him to have an inflated resume.  I think he'd still be a 2x champ if he'd wrestled full seasons the last two years but I do not think he'd be an undefeated two time champ. 

Snyder might end up being the best Freestyle wrestler the US has ever had, but he isn't the best folkstyler even in college today.  I doubt he minds.  

... Kyle mailed his Gold Medal back to the Olympic Committee this morning-he felt so guilty about the score, the weight difference, and being out positioned by Adam.  NaTo did the same thing with his NCAA medals, and he is bumping up to challenge Imar at the end of the season- unreel sequence of events ....

... Kyle mailed his Gold Medal back to the Olympic Committee this morning-he felt so guilty about the score, the weight difference, and being out positioned by Adam.  NaTo did the same thing with his NCAA medals, and he is bumping up to challenge Imar at the end of the season- unreel sequence of events ....

Snyder didn't bump up.

.... weight difference between Kyle and Adam is close to same between NaTo and Imar.. Kyle bumped up, but not by choice- reverse bump up??

Kyle weighed in above 197.. at the 285lbs weight class. Thats not bumping up. Thats wrestling at the weight class you're eligible for.

Kyle weighed in above 197.. at the 285lbs weight class. Thats not bumping up. Thats wrestling at the weight class you're eligible for.

Shhhhhh!!!! He’s only a heavyweight when he wins, if he loses, he’s a bumped up 197lber. Sheesh!

Is Snyder still the best wrestler walking the planet? (per Flo)

Probably. Snyder wrestles 12-15 folk style matches a year, and almost always dominates. Adam Coon is a very accomplished mountain of a man, who just so happens to wrestle in an era where some of the best in the world (Gwiz, Snyder) have been his competition. They will meet two more times, most likely. I will never bet against Snyder.

While he did mail the medal back, he did so because the finish is flaking off or showing deep stains.     This is the case with many of the medals handed out in 2016 and they are being replaced.    

Snyder is just too incomplete in folkstyle to be considered the best in NCAA's.    He's clearly #1 at 97 KG  and other than Sadulaev putting on some more size and going after him,  no one appears to be close to him. 

Free and Folk are different.  That's 5 losses for Kyle now vs NCAA competition and they've happened mostly at 197 lbs, so this isn't a case of the guys being too big for him.

Does anyone think Coon could go win a world Gold medal against guys his size. I think he may only be 4th on the depth charts in the USA. Coon is a very good heavyweight. Giving up 60 lbs to a quality opponent is a lot. Remember Coon was the number 1 seed his freshman year at NCAA's.He is now a senior.

While he did mail the medal back, he did so because the finish is flaking off or showing deep stains. This is the case with many of the medals handed out in 2016 and they are being replaced.

Snyder is just too incomplete in folkstyle to be considered the best in NCAA's. He's clearly #1 at 97 KG and other than Sadulaev putting on some more size and going after him, no one appears to be close to him.

Free and Folk are different. That's 5 losses for Kyle now vs NCAA competition and they've happened mostly at 197 lbs, so this isn't a case of the guys being too big for him.

Snyder will be a 4x finalist, and odds on favorite to be a 3 time champ. I don't think he needs to be feel too bad about his folk style career. He is probably not as complete a collegiate folkstyler as Retherford, Dake, Stieber etc... But, I imagine they wouldn't mind having 1 or 2, or even 3 world titles all while still in college.

If Snyder flipped his schedule and spent 75% of the year focusing on folk, he'd probably be a Retherford type dominating HWT, even while giving up 40-50lbs. He is gifted enough to win at both styles, at the highest possible levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Snyder still the best wrestler walking the planet? (per Flo)

Dont believe everything you hear on Flo..

I never thought he was the best wrestler on the planet.   He is the best take down artist in his  FS weight class, and with the  freestyle scoring criteria  now days ...thats all you need.   His par terre is good enough   until they are back on feet.   

Snyder will be a 4x finalist, and odds on favorite to be a 3 time champ. I don't think he needs to be feel too bad about his folk style career. He is probably not as complete a collegiate folkstyler as Retherford, Dake, Stieber etc... But, I imagine they wouldn't mind having 1 or 2, or even 3 world titles all while still in college.

If Snyder flipped his schedule and spent 75% of the year focusing on folk, he'd probably be a Retherford type dominating HWT, even while giving up 40-50lbs. He is gifted enough to win at both styles, at the highest possible levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I can agree with all that.     He's chosen to make freestyle his priority (says he does not train in folkstyle) and rightfully so.     He's doing better in free than in folk and that's to be expected.     2 or 3 NCAA titles, either way it's been a great career.