• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 unbiased

unbiased

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:59 AM

Is Snyder still the best wrestler walking the planet? (per Flo)

#2 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:27 AM

Probably, yes. I view Snyder's loss to Coon as less damning than Sadulaev's loss to Snyder. Both were wrestling up but the size disparity was much greater for the former. I still view them as 1A and 1B with guys like Geno, Chamizo, and Yazdani-Charati rounding out my top 5 in no particular order. 

#3 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:30 AM

Sadulaev has a more impressive skillset, but I didn't mind the title. It was deserved.

Edited by LemonPie, 12 February 2018 - 03:30 AM.

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#4 repechange

repechange

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:21 AM

Ok the size difference argument is getting old. Both are HWTs. Lou Banach won 2 NCAA titles and often wrestled bigger guys. At the time he hovered around 210.
  • pjm46, BigTenFanboy and ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying like this

#5 ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:24 AM

Ok the size difference argument is getting old. Both are HWTs. Lou Banach won 2 NCAA titles and often wrestled bigger guys. At the time he hovered around 210.

The past 10-15 years guys in the 220-230 range have done just fine at HWT and won their fair share of titles and AA honors. 

• Yellow_Medal, BigTimeFan and BigTenFanboy like this

#6 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:28 AM

He is objectively the best at 97 Kg in freestyle. The rest is conjecture. 

• Yellow_Medal and BigTenFanboy like this

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#7 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:35 AM

It takes a lot to always be at your peak.

Snyder has been wrestling the best in multiple styles. His schedule would be difficult for anyone. I am just glad that the upset came in the United States rather than overseas.
Twitter: @Pinnum

#8 repechange

repechange

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:41 AM

I will always root for Snyder in overseas matches. In NCAAs, I will root against.

#9 ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:52 AM

I actually am much more okay with Snyder winning his third title now that he's suffered a loss so that they "greatest college wrestler ever" thing is dead.  He's a great college wrestler but his lack of matches has allowed him to have an inflated resume.  I think he'd still be a 2x champ if he'd wrestled full seasons the last two years but I do not think he'd be an undefeated two time champ. 

Snyder might end up being the best Freestyle wrestler the US has ever had, but he isn't the best folkstyler even in college today.  I doubt he minds.  

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#10 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:48 AM

... Kyle mailed his Gold Medal back to the Olympic Committee this morning-he felt so guilty about the score, the weight difference, and being out positioned by Adam.  NaTo did the same thing with his NCAA medals, and he is bumping up to challenge Imar at the end of the season- unreel sequence of events ....

#11 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:52 AM

the best wrestler walking around anywhere on the planet outside the state of Michigan

#12 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,768 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:57 AM

... Kyle mailed his Gold Medal back to the Olympic Committee this morning-he felt so guilty about the score, the weight difference, and being out positioned by Adam.  NaTo did the same thing with his NCAA medals, and he is bumping up to challenge Imar at the end of the season- unreel sequence of events ....

Snyder didn't bump up.

#13 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:49 AM

Probably, yeah.

#14 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:57 AM

Snyder didn't bump up.

.... weight difference between Kyle and Adam is close to same between NaTo and Imar.. Kyle bumped up, but not by choice- reverse bump up??

#15 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,768 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:32 AM

.... weight difference between Kyle and Adam is close to same between NaTo and Imar.. Kyle bumped up, but not by choice- reverse bump up??

Kyle weighed in above 197.. at the 285lbs weight class. Thats not bumping up. Thats wrestling at the weight class you're eligible for.

#16 tec87

tec87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,086 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

Kyle weighed in above 197.. at the 285lbs weight class. Thats not bumping up. Thats wrestling at the weight class you're eligible for.

Shhhhhh!!!! He’s only a heavyweight when he wins, if he loses, he’s a bumped up 197lber. Sheesh!
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

#17 tightwaist

tightwaist

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

Probably. Snyder wrestles 12-15 folk style matches a year, and almost always dominates. Adam Coon is a very accomplished mountain of a man, who just so happens to wrestle in an era where some of the best in the world (Gwiz, Snyder) have been his competition. They will meet two more times, most likely. I will never bet against Snyder.
  • Paul158 likes this

#18 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:48 AM

While he did mail the medal back, he did so because the finish is flaking off or showing deep stains.     This is the case with many of the medals handed out in 2016 and they are being replaced.    

Snyder is just too incomplete in folkstyle to be considered the best in NCAA's.    He's clearly #1 at 97 KG  and other than Sadulaev putting on some more size and going after him,  no one appears to be close to him. 

Free and Folk are different.  That's 5 losses for Kyle now vs NCAA competition and they've happened mostly at 197 lbs, so this isn't a case of the guys being too big for him.

#19 Paul158

Paul158
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:55 AM

Does anyone think Coon could go win a world Gold medal against guys his size. I think he may only be 4th on the depth charts in the USA. Coon is a very good heavyweight. Giving up 60 lbs to a quality opponent is a lot. Remember Coon was the number 1 seed his freshman year at NCAA's.He is now a senior.

#20 Paul158

Paul158
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:01 AM

If Snyder would have used his redshirt this would be his 3rd title and have a chance at 4. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users