Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Coon beating Snyder vs Owings beating Gable

Coon is a beast and I think he'll beat Snyder again at Nationals.   Coon isn't the average HWT and he outweighs Snyder by 60lbs. 

His resume.  

- 2016 U.S. Open champion

- 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials runner-up

- 2014 Junior World Bronze medalist (Freestyle & Greco-Roman)

- 2011 Cadet World champion

- 2015 NCAA  runner-up

- 2016 NCAA Third Place

Apples to oranges comparison.  Owings over Gable was an almost unthinkable upset.  In fact, I don't really view Coon over Snyder as that big of a surprise. 

this is where I'm at as well.

if you gave Coon zero chance of beating Snyder, then you forgot about Adam Coon due to his RS last year.

Here is the thing. Snyder only got tagged as the best wrestler in the world after he beat Sadulaev. However, Sadulaev had just put on weight from 86Kg to 97 Kg weight class, and there is a real thing adjusting to a new weight class. Plus, in that particular match Snyder was the obviously larger man, and since the addition to 10 weight classes Sadulaev has gone down to a more comfortable 92 Kg, lending further credence to the fact that 97Kg isn't his best weight. 

So, ironically, Snyder being labeled the best wrestler in the world came somewhat because of a match where his opponent was giving up size to Snyder while wrestling at a less than optimal weight class. Perhaps the gun got jumped in labeling Snyder that way based off that match. He also has the gold medals, so not taking away from that. Still ironic. 

Edited by TBar1977

Snyder is the best in the world at the moment period. Who else would you put over him? Remember Coon is a fit 285 vs a 225 bulked up Snyder. Snyder needs to rest and recoup-he looked tired for the first time ever to me. And he will have a different game plan in a couple of weeks. I think Snyder wins but Coon knows he can beat him now so I am guessing a 1 or two takedown win for Snyder. Great for us fans-did not think anyone wold challenge him. Imagine if this were wrestled at 220lbs- Major dec for Snyder.  

I can see the final drama from the media. Future Astronaut vs Snyderman! May be last match of night!

If the match had been NCAA finals then we could have talked but even then nothing so far can beat Owings vs Gable! Trenge had the chance to do it but was majored by Cael.

Edited by PRyan2012

"what's the bigger upset"?

No, no, no, no ! No ya don't ! That would be like comparing an apple to a boulder. Jeez that Owings/Gable bout sent ripples throughout the

college wrestling landscape for a few years, at least. Maybe ya had to have been there ? Not sure.

"what's the bigger upset"?

No, no, no, no ! No ya don't ! That would be like comparing an apple to a boulder. Jeez that Owings/Gable bout sent ripples throughout the

college wrestling landscape for a few years, at least. Maybe ya had to have been there ? Not sure.

I agree. I also think that the Owings/Gable upset was/is a much bigger upset than Coon/Snyder.

A few months ago before the season started I got into a disagreement with a certain board member from a state that is well known for its delicious potatoes. 

The only match that I have seen that could have matched Gable/Owings would have been if Trenge upset Cael. That is the only match that could have competed. But remember Gable never lost in high school either so he was like 218-0? Even if Trenge had won I am not sure if that would have beat Gable/Owings.

Confusing Kyle's folk style and freestyle careers could be the only basis for even suggesting this comparison.

While Kyle is a freestyle legend, his collegiate career has been spectacular, but also strained by the demands of his year round worldwide freestyle schedule.  Obviously, these problems were exacerbated by his need to weigh in for freestyle at 213 while wrestling folkstyle at 285.

While Kyle had a great win over Gwiz in '16 and an impressive run through the NCAA tournament last year, he never carried anything like the air of invincibility, at the collegiate level, that Gable brought into the 1970 NCAA Tournament. Remember, Kyle also had had  the hiccup against Gadson in the 2015 finals.

By March 1970, Gable had been mauling and pinning guys for three years without even the hint of a stumble.  As far as the Coon-Snyder match goes, there were fans who saw this coming, and many, many people who felt the weight differential at least created a question mark.  

In 1970, nobody but Larry Owings, saw a question mark!

Anyway, hopefully Tom Ryan and Co. can get Kyle ready to go out with a win (or two) that would really put an exclamation point on his college career!