• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:01 AM

I didn’t see this match, but it drives me nuts when a guy is broken and the offensive wrestler breaks all contact steps in front and throws his hands up (a la Metcalf) and then goes behind for no points. It’s either an escape and 2 or it’s stalling on bottom.

#22 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:05 AM

I didn’t see this match, but it drives me nuts when a guy is broken and the offensive wrestler breaks all contact steps in front and throws his hands up (a la Metcalf) and then goes behind for no points. It’s either an escape and 2 or it’s stalling on bottom.

A better example would be Eric Grajales vs Andrew Alton in what was probably the worst officiated match in the history of mankind!

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 12 February 2018 - 08:06 AM.

• madcat11 likes this

#23 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

Nolf does this all the time. It is not an escape until the other guy turns and faces. Why Nolf (or anyone else) does this may be psychological, might be just to keep the pace high. 

Yeah, the old Metcalf special. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie, 12 February 2018 - 08:08 AM.

#24 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

A better example would be Eric Grajales vs Alton

One of my faves.

#25 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:26 AM

If the bottom guy is trying to escape its not an issue. Thats why the escapes should come quick. 

Yep.  If the bottom guy was trying to get away then it would not be an issue.  But at some point these guys decide they will try to stay on bottom even when being let up.  I have no problem with quick calls here.  Make the wrestler defend himself and wrestle.  

#26 Crotalus

Crotalus

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

Yep. If the bottom guy was trying to get away then it would not be an issue. But at some point these guys decide they will try to stay on bottom even when being let up. I have no problem with quick calls here. Make the wrestler defend himself and wrestle.

I agree as well. In the bottom position you should be trying for an escape or reversal. If a guy is letting you up and you aren't trying to get away, then it should be an automatic stalling. And if the guy breaks contact while facing you, you should pop up and defend yourself. We all know the reason someone takes so long to escape is to slow down the match, whether it be to stop a comeback or avoid a tech fall. I have no sympathy for a guy who gave up a quick two because he refused to take the escape he was given.

#27 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:14 AM

I agree as well. In the bottom position you should be trying for an escape or reversal. If a guy is letting you up and you aren't trying to get away, then it should be an automatic stalling. And if the guy breaks contact while facing you, you should pop up and defend yourself. We all know the reason someone takes so long to escape is to slow down the match, whether it be to stop a comeback or avoid a tech fall. I have no sympathy for a guy who gave up a quick two because he refused to take the escape he was given.

Pop up so you can be blast doubled to next week?  No thanks!  The defending wrestler should be in an equal position before an escape is awarded.

#28 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

Pop up so you can be blast doubled to next week?  No thanks!  The defending wrestler should be in an equal position before an escape is awarded.

Nobody is arguing that.  But the defending wrestler has to work to get to an equal position.  He can't just sit there with his head down to avoid an equal position and stop the action.  

#29 Crotalus

Crotalus

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

Pop up so you can be blast doubled to next week?  No thanks! 

This is exactly the problem. In this situation, the wrestler on bottom has usually reached their breaking point and is trying to avoid being scored on any way they can, either hold on to a win, or to avoid giving up bonus points. If the top man only has his hands on you and you are not trying to get to your feet, stalling should be called immediately. It should not even be the top guy's responsibility to get around front and face you. I'd be in favor of a rule that results in immediate points if the bottom man doesn't get up and defend himself immediately (in theory, in practice it would be hard to call objectively). I'm certainly not got to feel sorry for a guy getting a quick 2 called on him when he was just trying to avoid wrestling.

#30 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

Apart from the out of bounds situation, stalling should never be called immediately. The defensive wrestler is entitled to a bit of time to get to a comfortable position.

#31 Crotalus

Crotalus

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

The defensive wrestler is entitled to a bit of time to get to a comfortable position.

I think that is ridiculous. If you are not trying to get up to your feet while the top guy is letting you up, then you are flat out stalling. It's pretty damn easy to do a standup when the top guy only has a couple of hands on you. And you can do so while defending yourself against the impending takedown attempt. That is unless you are too tire, which is why the defensive wrestler takes so long to get up. If you choose to defend yourself by staying in a ball, then I am fine with a quick escape and takedown call. 

#32 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

I think that is ridiculous. If you are not trying to get up to your feet while the top guy is letting you up, then you are flat out stalling. It's pretty damn easy to do a standup when the top guy only has a couple of hands on you. And you can do so while defending yourself against the impending takedown attempt. That is unless you are too tire, which is why the defensive wrestler takes so long to get up. If you choose to defend yourself by staying in a ball, then I am fine with a quick escape and takedown call.

Nothing ridiculous about neutral being neutral.

#33 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

Nothing ridiculous about neutral being neutral.

You're not calling stalling there because neutral isn't neutral.  You're calling it because refusing to improve position is the very definition of stalling.  

• hammerlockthree likes this

#34 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

neutral being neutral

neutral isn't neutral

I'm confused ;_;

#35 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

You're not calling stalling there because neutral isn't neutral. You're calling it because refusing to improve position is the very definition of stalling.

It's not stalling in the first few seconds. The offensive wrestler figures he improves his position by releasing you. Fair enough. The defensive wrestler improves his position by being released to a position of neutrality. It's just common sense.

#36 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

It's not stalling in the first few seconds. The offensive wrestler figures he improves his position by releasing you. Fair enough. The defensive wrestler improves his position by being released to a position of neutrality. It's just common sense.

The ironic thing is releasing a guy to neutral technically isn't improving your position, the the opposite.

#37 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

Apart from the out of bounds situation, stalling should never be called immediately. The defensive wrestler is entitled to a bit of time to get to a comfortable position.

DF?

#38 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

DF?

Exactly. That is also a good time to tie your shoes, fix your knee pads, adjust your head gear and perform an elaborate search for imaginary blood.

#39 wreferee

wreferee

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

Ask any experienced official about this call in this situation in this particular dual and expect an honest professional's response to reference both timing and potential for bias. In short, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year, Birthday, Hannukah,...etc, etc.,etc.....(fill in the blank)
"Nolite dare sanctum canibus, neque mittatis margaritas vestras ante porcos, ne forte conculcent eas pedibus suis, et conversi disrumptam vos"

#40 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:35 AM

I've seen Nolf do it to catch a guy sleeping and pin him. (multiple times)

Speaking of the "Metcalf special", here's a good one of Brent catching an opponent the same way... bottom man was gesturing to the ref about Metcalf putting downward pressure on his head and got pinned doing so.

https://www.flowrest...playing=5172472

around the 8:35 mark

Edited by pamela, 13 February 2018 - 07:35 AM.

• AllISeeIsBronze likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users