Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

165 seeding for Big Ten tournament?

Just saw that Flo Wrestling posted the same topic:  https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6112069-the-big-tens-seeding-conundrum-at-165

Damned plagiarists!

Also, through some tortured logic they conclude Marinelli should get the nod!?!?

Skimmed it but they also seem to fail to note that all three Marinelli, Lewis and White were there at the duals when Illinois wrestled Iowa, Rutgers and Nebraska.  Now true Marinelli hadn't yet been officially pulled, but he wrestled the next match.  Kind've might've been planned, why throw him against Martinez first match.  Likewise, Lewis was on the bench and had wrestled 2 days before, but simply chose not to get majored or teched.  Same with White, he was there had just wrestled on Fri but I'm sure the coaches didn't want to expose him to a beat down.

IMO if these coaches think duals don't matter then perhaps they should also think or be comfortable with seeds don't matter.  

Skimmed it but they also seem to fail to note that all three Marinelli, Lewis and White were there at the duals when Illinois wrestled Iowa, Rutgers and Nebraska.  Now true Marinelli hadn't yet been officially pulled, but he wrestled the next match.  Kind've might've been planned, why throw him against Martinez first match.  Likewise, Lewis was on the bench and had wrestled 2 days before, but simply chose not to get majored or teched.  Same with White, he was there had just wrestled on Fri but I'm sure the coaches didn't want to expose him to a beat down.

IMO if these coaches think duals don't matter then perhaps they should also think or be comfortable with seeds don't matter.  

I absolutely think sitting should be synonymous with losing as far as seeds go.

What my glasses saw was a fluke 5 point move because Joseph got stupidly over aggressive. Won't happen again.

you may be right about it happening again........... but for seeding purposes it doesn't have to happen again........once was enough.

If he was "stupid" (your words not mine) he may not be bright enough to not be stupid again.

Just checked wrestlestats. I thought Marinelli had a loss or two, but saw he was undefeated. He might get seeded over Joseph at B1Gs, but Joseph is the better wrestler: He was winning comfortably until he tried for a big move to get bonus points for the team.

Pretty hilarious that anybody is suggesting Marinelli should be seeded over an undefeated IMAR.

I absolutely think sitting should be synonymous with losing as far as seeds go.

I agree to the extent that it should at least be used as a tie breaker. Martinez wrestled against Iowa and should get the benefit of the doubt when debating who get's #1. 

!. IMAR

2. Marinelli  anyone that thinks the head to head win over Joseph does not matter is a idiot

3. Joseph

Who is that Marinelli comment directed to? I don't see one person saying Joseph should be #2.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I-Mart also could have wrestled the Midlands where he would have seen Marinelli. I think this is pretty clear cut. If they use past seasons, I-Mart is the 1 seed. If it's only based on this season, Marinelli is.

Marinelli would have medical forfeited the finals.

Have Marianelli or Joseph ever wrestled Chance Marsteller, like in high school or an open tourney or junior FS etc.? I know we are talking Big Tens but was just curious how they stack up with Chance as the benchmark.

Have Marianelli or Joseph ever wrestled Chance Marsteller, like in high school or an open tourney or junior FS etc.? I know we are talking Big Tens but was just curious how they stack up with Chance as the benchmark.

IMar beat Marstellar pretty good at University Freestyle National Finals in 2016 14-10 and 15-5.  But Marstellar was competitive for most of both matches until gassing a bit and he is MUCH better at Freestyle.  He also beat Marstellar 9-6 in the 3rd place match at the 2017 Senior Men's World Team Trials.

Edited to add:  They were the only 2 contestants at the U23 2017 World Team Trials and IMAR also won there 8-2 and 7-6.

IMar is the only one of the "big 3" that Marstellar has wrestled and none of that was DI.

Edited by MSU158

I-Mart also could have wrestled the Midlands where he would have seen Marinelli.  I think this is pretty clear cut.  If they use past seasons, I-Mart is the 1 seed.  If it's only based on this season, Marinelli is.

well sure, but guess could've wrestled Reno, Vegas or Scuffle as well.  Midlands isn't a B10 tournament and there would've been no expectations that Martinez would necessarily wrestle anyone from the B10 at Midlands (except should've matched up seed wise with #4 Lewis).  Don't think Midlands was on his bucket list for this year.  Believe majored both Valencia &  Marinelli (so btdt) there the year before.  So given he was sick, why would it be high on his list of things to do over break, especially given chance to wrestle same B10 guys in dual meets? 

well sure, but guess could've wrestled Reno, Vegas or Scuffle as well.  Midlands isn't a B10 tournament and there would've been no expectations that Martinez would necessarily wrestle anyone from the B10 at Midlands (except should've matched up seed wise with #4 Lewis).  Don't think Midlands was on his bucket list for this year.  Believe majored both Valencia &  Marinelli (so btdt) there the year before.  So given he was sick, why would it be high on his list of things to do over break, especially given chance to wrestle same B10 guys in dual meets? 

Except that Illinois actually competed in the Midlands, including Emery Parker winning a title this year.  I-Mart was supposed to wrestle at the tournament this year, but then didn't.