Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

165 seeding for Big Ten tournament?

Except that Illinois actually competed in the Midlands, including Emery Parker winning a title this year.  I-Mart was supposed to wrestle at the tournament this year, but then didn't.

he was sick and btdt

I have no doubt that he was sick.  But how is that any different from Marinelli, with a clearly injured knee, missing the one dual for who knows what reason?  The logic holds.

Marinelli waitied till the next week to wrestle his first match, thus missing the B10 dual.  Martinez wrestled all the B10 duals.

btw: if it was "clearly injured" they how was it "clearly fine" 7 days later?  I don't doubt they might've still been debating when to wrestle him, but think we all know they had no intention of the first time out being again Martinez a guy who majored him the previous year and then risk re-injury.  But a price you pay for not wrestling all the conference matches is perhaps not getting as good of seed in the conference tourney as you perhaps could have.  

Marinelli waitied till the next week to wrestle his first match, thus missing the B10 dual.  Martinez wrestled all the B10 duals.

btw: if it was "clearly injured" they how was it "clearly fine" 7 days later?  I don't doubt they might've still been debating when to wrestle him, but think we all know they had no intention of the first time out being again Martinez a guy who majored him the previous year and then risk re-injury.  But a price you pay for not wrestling all the conference matches is perhaps not getting as good of seed in the conference tourney as you perhaps could have.  

And a benefit to wrestling a stronger schedule overall is that you may get seeded higher.  If they seed only according to this season, Marinelli has wrestled by far a tougher schedule.  If they include past seasons, then I-Mart will.

So if the doctor clears Marinelli to wrestle the 15th instead of the 8th Marinelli should say "No, if its fine in 7 days it is fine now" and overrule his doctors?

And a benefit to wrestling a stronger schedule overall is that you may get seeded higher.  If they seed only according to this season, Marinelli has wrestled by far a tougher schedule.  If they include past seasons, then I-Mart will.

nothing Martinez can do about the schedule the B10 gave them this year, all he could do is win all his matches against guys willing to show up

Flying Tiger did you read all the posts on first page?  If not go back and read it.

I stand corrected, a couple people did put Joseph at #2. One was based on if the BiGTen used prior year results and the other was because he felt Marinelli got lucky, lol. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

People don't skip tournaments to protect seeds. They do sit duals to do it. Coaches should punish those that sit a Big10 (or other conference) dual by making it count against them for seeds in that conference tournament. It should basically be the same as a head to head loss. I know this will sweep up legit injuries, but this is a better system to protect the fans from watching their favorite wrestler sit on the bench while Joe Scrub gets mopped up.

I like duals regardless of the relevance of the actual team score in the grand scheme of things. But if coaches treat them like NFL preseason games, I'm not interested in watching.

People don't skip tournaments to protect seeds. They do sit duals to do it. Coaches should punish those that sit a Big10 (or other conference) dual by making it count against them for seeds in that conference tournament. It should basically be the same as a head to head loss. I know this will sweep up legit injuries, but this is a better system to protect the fans from watching their favorite wrestler sit on the bench while Joe Scrub gets mopped up.

I like duals regardless of the relevance of the actual team score in the grand scheme of things. But if coaches treat them like NFL preseason games, I'm not interested in watching.

I’m personally going to give Marinelli a pass on missing an early December dual a few weeks after tearing a ligament in his knee.

Neither guy is in the Big Ten, but Flo has Marsteller (31-1) and Chad Walsh (20-1) at #11 and #12, respectively  I understand they haven't had as many Big Ten opponents, but they both seem kind of low in the rankings at 165.  Massa and Wick both have 4 losses.  And Wanzek has 6 losses.  165 might be even tougher than 141 this year.  

Neither guy is in the Big Ten, but Flo has Marsteller (31-1) and Chad Walsh (20-1) at #11 and #12, respectively  I understand they haven't had as many Big Ten opponents, but they both seem kind of low in the rankings at 165.  Massa and Wick both have 4 losses.  And Wanzek has 6 losses.  165 might be even tougher than 141 this year.  

Strength of Schedule or RPI really hurts both of them.  Although 31-1 and 20-1 looks very strong, they don't really have any strong wins.  Also, in Marstellar's case, he lost to Steiert, and due to his redshirting this season, it sets him back.  In the case of Walsh, his loss is to Marstellar, so he is forced to sit behind him.

Walsh's best wins are Bethea(2x) and Schleifer.  Bethea is ranked 17th and Schleifer 19th on FLO, but neither are even ranked by Intermat.

Marstellar's best wins are Walsh and Romero(ranked 16th by both).  Another strong win(2x) he has is another guy that is redshirting, Mekhi Lewis(28-2).  Lewis is sitting behind McFadden at VTech and is 28-0, not counting Marstellar.

Stated another way, the seed would be tied to the team's weight class. It's up to the team to decide how to staff each weight class  to get the best seed.

Of course this isn't now it is, but would be a welcome change.

If, as a coach, you sit a wrestler to protect a seed, you are saying to the kid "I am not confident you can beat this guy." Now at qualifying time he has to wrestle said wrestler thinking "my coach isn't too sure I can win this."....... BAD BAD way to enter a match.imo