• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Flying-Tiger

Flying-Tiger

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

Flying Tiger did you read all the posts on first page?  If not go back and read it.

I stand corrected, a couple people did put Joseph at #2. One was based on if the BiGTen used prior year results and the other was because he felt Marinelli got lucky, lol. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger, 13 February 2018 - 08:58 AM.

A Kinder, Gentler Machine Gun Hand

#62 Ching

Ching

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:49 AM

People don't skip tournaments to protect seeds. They do sit duals to do it. Coaches should punish those that sit a Big10 (or other conference) dual by making it count against them for seeds in that conference tournament. It should basically be the same as a head to head loss. I know this will sweep up legit injuries, but this is a better system to protect the fans from watching their favorite wrestler sit on the bench while Joe Scrub gets mopped up.

I like duals regardless of the relevance of the actual team score in the grand scheme of things. But if coaches treat them like NFL preseason games, I'm not interested in watching.

Follow @_Homme

#63 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

People don't skip tournaments to protect seeds. They do sit duals to do it. Coaches should punish those that sit a Big10 (or other conference) dual by making it count against them for seeds in that conference tournament. It should basically be the same as a head to head loss. I know this will sweep up legit injuries, but this is a better system to protect the fans from watching their favorite wrestler sit on the bench while Joe Scrub gets mopped up.

I like duals regardless of the relevance of the actual team score in the grand scheme of things. But if coaches treat them like NFL preseason games, I'm not interested in watching.

I’m personally going to give Marinelli a pass on missing an early December dual a few weeks after tearing a ligament in his knee.

#64 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:56 PM

Neither guy is in the Big Ten, but Flo has Marsteller (31-1) and Chad Walsh (20-1) at #11 and #12, respectively  I understand they haven't had as many Big Ten opponents, but they both seem kind of low in the rankings at 165.  Massa and Wick both have 4 losses.  And Wanzek has 6 losses.  165 might be even tougher than 141 this year.  

#65 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:33 AM

Neither guy is in the Big Ten, but Flo has Marsteller (31-1) and Chad Walsh (20-1) at #11 and #12, respectively  I understand they haven't had as many Big Ten opponents, but they both seem kind of low in the rankings at 165.  Massa and Wick both have 4 losses.  And Wanzek has 6 losses.  165 might be even tougher than 141 this year.  

Strength of Schedule or RPI really hurts both of them.  Although 31-1 and 20-1 looks very strong, they don't really have any strong wins.  Also, in Marstellar's case, he lost to Steiert, and due to his redshirting this season, it sets him back.  In the case of Walsh, his loss is to Marstellar, so he is forced to sit behind him.

Walsh's best wins are Bethea(2x) and Schleifer.  Bethea is ranked 17th and Schleifer 19th on FLO, but neither are even ranked by Intermat.

Marstellar's best wins are Walsh and Romero(ranked 16th by both).  Another strong win(2x) he has is another guy that is redshirting, Mekhi Lewis(28-2).  Lewis is sitting behind McFadden at VTech and is 28-0, not counting Marstellar.

#66 Fletcher

Fletcher

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:45 AM

Stated another way, the seed would be tied to the team's weight class. It's up to the team to decide how to staff each weight class  to get the best seed.

Of course this isn't now it is, but would be a welcome change.

#67 AKHUNTER

AKHUNTER

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:19 AM

If, as a coach, you sit a wrestler to protect a seed, you are saying to the kid "I am not confident you can beat this guy." Now at qualifying time he has to wrestle said wrestler thinking "my coach isn't too sure I can win this."....... BAD BAD way to enter a match.imo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users