Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Coon vs Snyder full match video

Thanks.

Man, Coon's size made a difference from the get go. Snyder looked worn out in the first minute, Coon looked like he could have gone another 7. It will be interesting to see the adjustments at Big 10s and NCAAs.

Edited by Crotalus

Appears that most of what Coon did was helped by keeping his weight on Snyder. Not "heavy hands" - but heavy body every chance he had. Smart wrestling to use his weight as well as athletic ability to keep Snyder away from his legs for the most part. When in on the legs the combination of weight and upper body strength to prevent Snyder from following through worked. A bigger and longer body meant Snyder had to go further to penetrate and would take more body weight on himself as a result.  Then he kept going for the same moves rather than switch to the other leg when coon would pull the right back out of reach.

Snyder was sucking wind in the first period. Not something we normally see from him. Don't know if it was the fact he was fighting so much weight or what, but he did not look good.

Very little lateral movement on the part of Snyder. Pretty much straight in which seemed to play to what Coon was expecting and defending. Why so little change of direction? Coon is athletic, big and strong but I still think Snyder is quicker. Don't know why we did not see much of that in this match.

Wonder what will be different next go-round?

Edited by WillieBoy

I do like sgallen post about free style expert wrestling Greco expert in folk style. Kind of funny but true.

Coon scored 4 or 5 on that feet to backer correct?

In free that would have been interesting score. Some push outs. Kyle wouldn’t have got ridden as ref would have put them back on feet. I think the score would have been way in favor of coon. But they would have been in different weight class. Never mind.

I always thought, not knew, Coon would have a chance because the size is going to be there regardless of what time you are in the match. He's also a much better wrestler then Medberry and I thought Medberry was going to beat him last year. I just got done watching the match. It looks like a man versus a boy size wise. Whatever wherever the tournament Snyder is going to have serious problems with Adam Coon. He is just too freaking big!

Appears that most of what Coon did was helped by keeping his weight on Snyder. Not "heavy hands" - but heavy body every chance he had. Smart wrestling to use his weight as well as athletic ability to keep Snyder away from his legs for the most part. When in on the legs the combination of weight and upper body strength to prevent Snyder from following through worked. A bigger and longer body meant Snyder had to go further to penetrate and would take more body weight on himself as a result.  Then he kept going for the same moves rather than switch to the other leg when coon would pull the right back out of reach.

Snyder was sucking wind in the first period. Not something we normally see from him. Don't know if it was the fact he was fighting so much weight or what, but he did not look good.

Very little lateral movement on the part of Snyder. Pretty much straight in which seemed to play to what Coon was expecting and defending. Why so little change of direction? Coon is athletic, big and strong but I still think Snyder is quicker. Don't know why we did not see much of that in this match.

Wonder what will be different next go-round?

Nice analysis of the match. I agree that Coon really used his size and heavy hips to his advantage while Snyder was attacking straight-on for some reason. I think Snyder and the staff will watch some tape and have a better gameplan next time around - maybe work a little more from space with that low single, and cutting angles on that high-c like he did against Coon at Big Tens a couple of years ago. Snyder was getting to his legs, just not finishing. I think Snyder gets it done next time around.

Also, if I'm the Ohio State coaching staff, I would be getting into the ref's ears all match long trying to get a stalling call or two on Coon. It seemed to me like most of the attacking, set-ups, snaps, movement, etc. came from Snyder while Coon mostly tied-up and leaned in or sat heavily on top without doing a whole lot. I know that's just how most Hwts wrestle but the Buckeyes need to take advantage of the optics. It looked like Snyder was wrestling a brick wall at times.

I didn't think came anywhere close to stalling. Rather, he just wrestled his kind of match. He had the 3 best shots in the match and he converted one of them. He also worked to a superior position on Kyle's best shot.

Not sure what else he should have been doing.

All I can say is wow, in the span of time since these two last squared off Adam has obviously gained in size and strength. Adam, who is obviously is much bigger, also looked like he was much stronger than Kyle. Which if I hadn't have seen, I wouldn't have believed. In some of those ties it looked like Kyle didn't want any part of them. I don't know how Kyle will gameplay for his next two meetings with Adam, but I think he will have to look to create more angles, and look for other attacks. But as of right now, I have to say that Adam has the edge going into the Big Ten's.

I already said I would go out on a limb in another thread and pick Coon the next two matches. Coon had two great shots and came close to converting with time running out in 2nd. I can see Coon winning by as much as 5 to 2 or as little as 3 to 2. Snyder will be coached up for B1G but you can bet that Coon will be too.

Coon even got jobbed out of a TD, in my opinion, at the end of the 2nd period.

Snyder didn't look very energetic to me, didn't take anywhere near enough shots to have a chance to win.

Edited by TobusRex