• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:09 AM

Iran won't compete in World cup!!! disagreement between. UWW and Iran wrestling federation. My Persian friend said "Because UWW ordered Iran to change the dates of the Greco world cup since it was too close to the Euro championship. But Iran fed said they already organized everything. Iran wanted GR world cup same week as FS world cup but UWW said no, so now Iran withdrew"

Congrats USA! First World cup title since the 1618 year!!

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin, 13 February 2018 - 01:09 AM.

The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#2 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:16 AM

Hey, we dominated in 1618.

• pjm46 and Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#3 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:19 AM

But seriously, some teams send a "B" squad to the World Cup and the "A" team to Euros (Russia in freestyle).  Not a great situation for fans who want to see the best face the best.  To me, the dates should be separated so that nations that want to send their "A" squads to both their continental championship and the WC should be able to do so with proper rest/training in between.  It's a full year calendar--shouldn't be hard to coordinate enough separation between major events.

• 2td3nf and Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#4 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:09 AM

But seriously, some teams send a "B" squad to the World Cup and the "A" team to Euros (Russia in freestyle).  Not a great situation for fans who want to see the best face the best.  To me, the dates should be separated so that nations that want to send their "A" squads to both their continental championship and the WC should be able to do so with proper rest/training in between.  It's a full year calendar--shouldn't be hard to coordinate enough separation between major events.

i think UWW need change calendar, Yarygin in January, World Cup in March, then Euro in April. WC in September-October. Also it is necessary to consider Ramadan. 90% of wrestlers are Muslims. Ramadan always shifts to 10 days ago and goes to January. This year it will be on May 15 to June 14. Next year, Ramadan will be between May 5th and June 4th

• gutfirst likes this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#5 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:15 AM

So much for Taylor vs Yazdani.

#6 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:28 AM

I understand the Ramadan issue, but should adjustments be made for Christians during Christmas, Lent, Easter, etc.?  Very problematic.  Also not sure 90% of competitive wrestlers are Muslim.  Complex issue that needs more attention than presently given.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#7 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:57 AM

I understand the Ramadan issue, but should adjustments be made for Christians during Christmas, Lent, Easter, etc.? Very problematic. Also not sure 90% of competitive wrestlers are Muslim. Complex issue that needs more attention than presently given.

The UWW is responsible for setting the dates ( a year preferably) in advance so problems like this do not happen.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007, 13 February 2018 - 03:58 AM.

#8 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:40 AM

I understand the Ramadan issue, but should adjustments be made for Christians during Christmas, Lent, Easter, etc.?  Very problematic.  Also not sure 90% of competitive wrestlers are Muslim.  Complex issue that needs more attention than presently given.

Christmas before yarygin! thats it lol. About Muslim wrestlers. 90% they are. In greco no, but i fs 90% medals win by Muslims! :) about Ramadan. No one want wrestle in Ramadan, very hard, no smart. But in 2016 world cup some wrestlers can eat and drink for 2 day when competed in World Cup. It is too hard. 

#9 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:05 AM

Medal winners is not the same as total participants.  Proof is needed based on all the participants, not just the medal winners. And being respectful of Ramadan but no one else's religion, well, you're not going to get anywhere just supporting one religion.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#10 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:13 AM

Looking at the 2017 freestyle world medalists, I can't say I know all the religions of the medalists, but I would guess at least 10 of the 32 medalists are not Muslim.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#11 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:17 AM

Assuming at least these medalists are not Muslim--could well be others:  Takahashi, Gilman, Bonne, Tobier, Chamizo, Green, Fujinami, Burroughs, Cox, Snyder, Gwiz.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#12 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:28 AM

Looking at the 2017 freestyle world medalists, I can't say I know all the religions of the medalists, but I would guess at least 10 of the 32 medalists are not Muslim.

It's not about religion. It's about changing the date after it's been set.

• gutfirst likes this

#13 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:05 AM

It's not about religion. It's about changing the date after it's been set.

Khuzin brought up religion.  My point is about the schedule in the future--events should be spaced out better to ensure full participation of the top guys.  As far as the present year, I agree that if a date was set it should be honored.

• cjc007 likes this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#14 dclark145

dclark145

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:16 AM

Medal winners is not the same as total participants.  Proof is needed based on all the participants, not just the medal winners. And being respectful of Ramadan but no one else's religion, well, you're not going to get anywhere just supporting one religion.

Don't think its necessarily to give them more time with family or anything, but more so because of energy. Not sure if you're familiar, and forgive me if you are, but Muslims are obligated to fast completely from dawn to sunset throughout Ramadan. Very different from the fast that comes with Lent, which is only a meat fast iirc. I'm pretty sure they can't even drink water during the day. It's a beautiful testament of faith that supersedes athletics. 

At the HS level, only a few my Muslim teammates would still practice through Ramadan and even that was a lot to watch, let alone experience. Couldn't imagine what that looks like at a WC level. I've heard that some athletes observe Ramadan at different times in order to accommodate for the WC and Olympics, but not sure what that looks like. 

I think it's fair to say that there should be accommodations, especially considering that Islam is the world's second biggest religion. If there was a big tournament on Christmas or Easter, I'm sure there'd be folks who call for a change.

Penn State Club Wrestling
"We either win in the first, or we don't win at all"

#15 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:33 AM

Don't think its necessarily to give them more time with family or anything, but more so because of energy. Not sure if you're familiar, and forgive me if you are, but Muslims are obligated to fast completely from dawn to sunset throughout Ramadan. Very different from the fast that comes with Lent, which is only a meat fast iirc. I'm pretty sure they can't even drink water during the day. It's a beautiful testament of faith that supersedes athletics. 

At the HS level, only a few my Muslim teammates would still practice through Ramadan and even that was a lot to watch, let alone experience. Couldn't imagine what that looks like at a WC level. I've heard that some athletes observe Ramadan at different times in order to accommodate for the WC and Olympics, but not sure what that looks like. 

I think it's fair to say that there should be accommodations, especially considering that Islam is the world's second biggest religion. If there was a big tournament on Christmas or Easter, I'm sure there'd be folks who call for a change.

I work with many Muslims and know what Ramadan is.  I understand the sacrifice and respect it greatly.  The statement was made that 90% of wrestlers were Muslim, which I found no proof of, and that 90% of freestyle medal winners were Muslim--verifiably not true.  The pretext was that because the majority of the best wrestlers were Muslim, scheduling of major meets should be done to avoid Ramadan.  My points are that the whole 90% claims were bogus, and that scheduling should take into consideration all religions if one religion receives it.

• TheRealOne9050 and AllISeeIsBronze like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#16 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

According to this article Iran is in.

https://unitedworldw...tyle-world-cups

• PRyan2012 likes this

#17 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

Assuming at least these medalists are not Muslim--could well be others:  Takahashi, Gilman, Bonne, Tobier, Chamizo, Green, Fujinami, Burroughs, Cox, Snyder, Gwiz.

ohh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. 16 Muslims vs 6 not muslims. Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeah 

8ujCYpOeBTI.jpg

#18 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:37 AM

2017 freestyle World Championships, Comrade, the most recent world event for your 90% theory.  Let's not use Stalin math, just good old- fashioned arithmetic.  Here are the medalists:

57: Takahashi, Gilman, Erdenbat, Yatsenko

61: Aliev, Rashidov, Bonne, Khinchegashvili

65: Iakobishvili, Gadzhiev, Tobier, Gogaev

70: Chamizo, Green, Fujinami, Tantarov

74: Burroughs, Tsabolov, Shabanov, Demirtas

86: Yazdani, Makoev, Valiev, Cox

97: Snyder, Sadulaev, Ketoev, Alborov

125: Petriashivili, Akguel, Berianidze, Gwiazdowski

So let's add some names of medalists to my previous list:  Petriashvili, Gwiz, Snyder, Cox, Bonne, Gilman, Takahashi, Berianidze, Burroughs, Chamizo, Yatsenko, Khinchegashvili, Iakobishvili, Fujinami, Green.  Not sure on Ketoev, Valiev, Tsabelov, Gogaev, Makoev, but I bet a few of those aren't Muslim.  No way are 90% of the 32 medalists Muslim or even close to it.

Also, it’s a big mistake to assume everyone from a predominantly Muslim country is a practicing Muslim.  I’ve taken part in many international events and after the wrestling was over I’ve witnessed “Muslim” wrestlers enjoy a healthy helping of Jack Daniels/vodka and pursue a tumble under the covers with a lass who wasn’t his wife. Back in the day I partied with the coaches from Dagestan and bought some Dagestani cognac from them—good folks, but hardly strict Muslims.

I love you like a son, Khuzin, and I understand being proud to be Muslim and being proud of Muslim wrestlers but your numbers don’t add up. Let’s celebrate all who do our great sport.

• jeffr_ideal and AllISeeIsBronze like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users