• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Two_on_one

Two_on_one

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:00 AM

Not saying they will, but if Ohio State wrestles at the NCAA's the way they wrestled against Michigan, 4th place is not out of the question.

Here are some placings that I feel are likely and in some weights are best case scenario.

Tomasello 3rd or 4th.
Pletcher 5th to possibly no place
McKenna 6th to possibly no place. Very tough weight.
Hayes Maybe round of 12. 4 losses with one being to #36 and to #20
Micah Jordan 6th to 8th. Probaby will place but with 4 losses and twice to Pantaleo and trading matches with Shields, he could go lower
Campbell Round of 16 maybe. 8 losses on the year and not looking sharp
Bo Jordan 4th through 6th if he doesn't get it together. Unlikely to beat Hall or Valencia and Amine just put him away last week.
Martin Likely to be in finals or as low as 5th. Certainly could get tripped up by Abounader (see last match), Renda, or someone else
Moore 1st to as low as 7th. Has looked solid most of year but only three matches against top 12 guys and lost one of them. Twice during cliff keen he was taken to the wire by a #19 an #39. Cassar beat down at Penn State dual was not a confidence builder and Rasheed is licking his chops to do worse. Big Ten tournament will help paint a picture here.
Snyder Going to go with 2nd. No lower. Coon match was no fluke and had they not gone out of bounds on that body lock it could have ended in a pin. Snyder will not tie up again with Coon and unless Snyder gets an early takedown and forces Coon to go on offense, Coon wins again. Nobody else here touches Snyder barring injury.

Edited by Two_on_one, 13 February 2018 - 09:22 AM.

• de4856 likes this

#2 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:09 AM

I don't see 4th place in their future, but I do see 1rst place being a lot tougher than the experts predicted a short while ago.

Rumor mills suggests Ryan may sit Bo Jordan, Snyder and NaTo vs NC State. If he does do that then doesn't that suggest how tough a year it has been for those guys? Whether its Snyder's travel schedule, Bo's foot injury, or NaTo's weight cut it all adds up to a patchwork of problems that won't easily be solved. 

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#3 repechange

repechange

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:45 AM

I hope you are right.

#4 Aviator12

Aviator12

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

You could say that about every team. Using your logic Cenzo will be lucky to be an All American, he ‘could’ get tripped up twice. OSU wrestlers, like PSU’s have shown they do their best in tournament settings. Use your logic the year they won the Natty but lost to Lehigh in the Championship duals. They were not a very good performing dual team but turned it on come tourney time, just like last years Big Ten when they knocked off Penn States’s juggernaut squad for the outright title.

Edited by Aviator12, 13 February 2018 - 09:39 AM.

#5 cangemi

cangemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

They could be 4th, but they still can win.

Good tourney they win.
  • tabenn likes this

#6 repechange

repechange

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

The NCAA tourney is PSU's to lose and tOSU has be lights out to win. I don't see tOSU having that kind of week.
  • Ohio_Ice, de4856 and tabenn like this

#7 CoachWrestling

CoachWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

Stopped reading when you wrote Hayes round of 12 is likely.

#8 Two_on_one

Two_on_one

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:41 AM

Stopped reading when you wrote Hayes round of 12 is likely.

I actually wrote "maybe round of 12". Far different from likely.

#9 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

This dual against the Wolfpack is what it is, but let's face it, it's basically mid February, and really at this time in the schedule, it's all about the Big Ten's and the NCAA's. So I would definitely sit Kyle this weekend. And I would be inclined to sit Bo, and NaTo as well. I have said this before, but I think NaTo, is taking one for the team by going down to 125, and one less weight cut should be beneficial for him.
As for Kyle, I know he has Taha in town, so he might be just better off staying at school, and let Kevin make the trip. Additionally, I am beginning to become worried that Kyle is getting overly fatigued. He has been engaged in Folk-style, and Freestyle for several years now, and it has to be taking a toll. I know we have the World Cup in April, and I am sure Kyle will be there representing, because that's just who he is, but afterwards, I would like to see him take the time he needs to recharge his batteries.

#10 nyum

nyum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

I actually wrote "maybe round of 12". Far different from likely.

Here are some placings that I feel are likely and in some weights are best case scenario.

Hmmmmmmmm. That’s interesting.
  • CoachWrestling likes this

#11 Aviator12

Aviator12

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

People on here actually think Hayes is round of 12? Have you not been watching him lately?? Besides barely losing to Sorensona and losing to Retherford (who he took down twice), Ke’Shawns other two losses were the Heilman and to the kid from Rutgers, both matches he was up big (6-0 in both I believe) and got hit with big moves. This is basically Hayes freshman season after getting injured last year. He’s getting better and better, I would be shocked if he doesnt end up on the podium.

#12 Stuart1

Stuart1

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

Hayes best win is against number 7 Thomsen, of UNI in a tight match, at this point he looks to place 5-8.  Just has to avoid the upsets from a guys like Heilman or Deluca, those are the guys he will wrestle to AA.

#13 NCBuckeye

NCBuckeye
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:48 PM

Over the past few years, Ohio State seems to be a stronger tournament team than they are dual team. The also have done a good job finishing strong at Big Tens and NCAA's.

While anything is possible, I see it highly unlikely they finish lower than 2nd. They have potential point scorers up and down the lineup, and several guys who could make it deep into the AA rounds. Not to mention potential finalists in at least four weights (125, 184, 197, 285). I think the battle between The Buckeyes and Penn State at both Big Tens and NCAA's is going to be very exciting and likely decided during the finals of each tournament.

#14 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:15 PM

I'm convinced. Team title between Michigan and Iowa. PSU, tOSU, Mizzou, Lehigh,Va Tech, NCSt, OK St all in trophy hunt. 

#15 Werwa

Werwa

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

Not saying they will, but if Ohio State wrestles at the NCAA's the way they wrestled against Michigan, 4th place is not out of the question.

Tomasello 3rd or 4th.
Pletcher 5th to possibly no place
McKenna 6th to possibly no place. Very tough weight.
Hayes Maybe round of 12. 4 losses with one being to #36 and to #20
Micah Jordan 6th to 8th. Probaby will place but with 4 losses and twice to Pantaleo and trading matches with Shields, he could go lower
Campbell Round of 16 maybe. 8 losses on the year and not looking sharp
Bo Jordan 4th through 6th if he doesn't get it together. Unlikely to beat Hall or Valencia and Amine just put him away last week.
Martin Likely to be in finals or as low as 5th. Certainly could get tripped up by Abounader (see last match), Renda, or someone else
Moore 1st to as low as 7th. Has looked solid most of year but only three matches against top 12 guys and lost one of them. Twice during cliff keen he was taken to the wire by a #19 an #39. Cassar beat down at Penn State dual was not a confidence builder and Rasheed is licking his chops to do worse. Big Ten tournament will help paint a picture here.
Snyder Going to go with 2nd. No lower. Coon match was no fluke and had they not gone out of bounds on that body lock it could have ended in a pin. Snyder will not tie up again with Coon and unless Snyder gets an early takedown and forces Coon to go on offense, Coon wins again. Nobody else here touches Snyder barring injury.

Your projections are plausible, but I think too pessimistic.  Nato had a close loss he could easily avenge.  Pletcher looked terrible against Micic, but has looked solid otherwise and could easily finish in top 4.  McKenna does what he needs to to win, but I agree 141 is too tough too predict as is loaded.  I think he will find a way to AA.  Hayes has wrestled well and will AA.  Jordan out-wrestled Pantaleo after the first period and if Nolf can't compete will challenge for the title.  Bo will take third, Martin will be a finalist, Moore still is favorite to take title, and Synder will adjust against Coon as still is favorite to win it all.

#16 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:32 AM

That’s worst case
PSU
125,133 no placemrnt
141 no placement (ranked 8th and lost to the guy you said may not place)
149 - 1st but lower bonus than last year. Got a bias ref to tech Hayes (wasn’t 45 degrees) and didn’t bonus Sorensen
157 - injured. No points
165 - just lost to the 4th ranked guy, a guy who got smashed by Anthony Valencia last year. Best case is 3rd but maybe 6th
174 - was losing to Bo until the third and Zahid is just on another level. 2nd at Best Buy likely 3rd or 4th
184 - Bo had close matches wth Preisch and Gravina. He is also 2-2 vs Martin in tournaments. 1-4
197 - haven’t been tin dyed in a tournament with high caliber opponents (consistent top 10). Could go from 5th - no placement
285 - is as likely to place 3rd as not place. He has some weird losses this season.

See? I can do it too

#17 Aviator12

Aviator12

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

^This

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users