NJDan

What about Coon for Hodge

I am not sure it will happen, but if Coon runs the table, which would include beating the worlds best wrestler 3 times, and he does not win the Hodge - then that award becomes a joke.  I do not care who had more meaningless Tech Falls, if the award is for the Best College Wrestler of this year, Coon must win it if he runs the table. 

I am not sure it will happen, but if Coon runs the table, which would include beating the worlds best wrestler 3 times, and he does not win the Hodge - then that award becomes a joke.  I do not care who had more meaningless Tech Falls, if the award is for the Best College Wrestler of this year, Coon must win it if he runs the table.

Try to keep up.

He's not the "world's best wrestler."

He is the world's best freestyle wrestler.

But he's not the world's best Greco-Roman wrestler.

And he's not the world's best American folkstyle wrestler.

Snyder didn't win the award last year and wouldn't have won it this year. How does not giving the award to a guy with three wins over a guy who didn't deserve the award himself make the award a joke?

Snyder going to have to make it past Neville to get to coon. Correct? Neville wrestled him ok I read

Nevills benefited quite a bit from Snyder needing to get bonus pts for the team to win and it wasn't like the match was all that close. It was just much closer than many expected.

I wouldn't object but I don't think he has a real shot under the criteria. Zain will probably bonus everyone else he wrestles this year not named Brandon Sorensen so if he finishes with a record of 32-0 with 29 bonus point wins, that's hard to argue against. He'd also finish his career on a 96 match winning streak with a bonus point % right around 90%. That's kinda good. 

Who has he beaten that’s exceptional? 149 is about as weak a class as I can recall. Level of comp has to play a role in the decision.

At this point, I’d vote for Coon.

Who has he beaten that’s exceptional? 149 is about as weak a class as I can recall. Level of comp has to play a role in the decision.

To answer your question, those who would not choose Zain last week would have favored Snyder. But when both Zain and Snyder were in the same dual against the same level of competition Zain won over #5 Hayes by TF and Snyder won over #5 Nevills by DEC. Their next dual Zain beat #2 by 4, Snyder lost to #2. 

If Coon were somewhat close there would be an argument, but he isn't really very close. 

To answer your question, those who would not choose Zain last week would have favored Snyder. But when both Zain and Snyder were in the same dual against the same level of competition Zain won over #5 Hayes by TF and Snyder won over #5 Nevills by DEC. Their next dual Zain beat #2 by 4, Snyder lost to #2.

If Coon were somewhat close there would be an argument, but he isn't really very close.

According to you. Please provide the quality wins for ZR this year. Remember, being ranked 4th in a terrible weight isn’t the same as 4th in a tough weight.

ZR has few quality wins. Coin has the biggest, by far.

Coon deserves it as of right now.

According to you. Please provide the quality wins for ZR this year. Remember, being ranked 4th in a terrible weight isn’t the same as 4th in a tough weight.

ZR has few quality wins. Coin has the biggest, by far.

Coon deserves it as of right now.

Coon does have the best win. Zain will probably win the Hodge based on dominance and falls.

Retherford has a gift for making his weight class look weak.

It's a big part of what makes him the best American folkstyle wrestler in college today.

Edited by PhiferFuqua

Coon does have the best win. Zain will probably win the Hodge based on dominance and falls.

The question really comes down to this. If Coon wins out beating Snyder 2 more times will the wins over Snyder be held in higher regard over Retherford's dominance over the entire 149 field...

Coon has to beat Snyder 2 more times for this to even come into play...

Here’s the thing, Retherford is clearly destroying his weight and making everyone look inferior. While Coon isn’t as dominant as Retherford is, he’s putting up decent bonus point numbers in his own right. If he wins out and beats Snyder 2 more times, he would have a strong case. If Coon does that and wins the hodge, is there really going to be rioting in the streets and complaining about how he doesn’t deserve the award? No there isn’t. Retherford has won it before and Coon is truly one of the most likeable wrestlers in college today. Zain will probably win it and is definitely deserving of it but I wouldn’t have issue with Coon winning it either.

There is some precedent.  Albeit, it was his 4th NCAA title, but Dake won it in 2013 as much based on beating Taylor multiple times. He had a 75% bonus rate while Stieber and Oliver were over 85%.  Ruth was also ahead of him with 79%.

Granted, the gap wasn't as wide and Dake's 4th Championship carried significant weight, but beating Snyder 3x's is definitely a great equalizer.

There is some precedent.  Albeit, it was his 4th NCAA title, but Dake won it in 2013 as much based on beating Taylor multiple times. He had a 75% bonus rate while Stieber and Oliver were over 85%.  Ruth was also ahead of him with 79%.

Granted, the gap wasn't as wide and Dake's 4th Championship carried significant weight, but beating Snyder 3x's is definitely a great equalizer.

He could have Heil'd his way through the field and he still would have gotten it for winning his 4th title. There is no way a 4xer isn't going to get it his senior year. 

Retherford has a gift for making his weight class look weak.

It's a big part of what makes him the best American folkstyle wrestler in college today.

Even the guys he doesn’t wrestle? Who in that entire class will you remember in five years? There’s no one really elite.

Even the guys he doesn’t wrestle? Who in that entire class will you remember in five years? There’s no one really elite.

Ryan Deakin, Junior World Silver. Just a frosh who I’d bet even you will “remember.”

Shifting the framework of the argument. Excellent work.

Or does your NJ persona just not allow you to be wrong?

What was I wrong about genius? My point was the weight class is weak. Your brilliant response was to name a single wrestler as evidence that it’s not weak. A freshman who hasn’t been to the NCAA tourney is your evidence.

I allow myself to be wrong. I remember both times.