Sign in to follow this  
nom

Koll says Yianni more talented than Dake

See wrestlingreport Cornell forum. Koll says Yianni is most talented wrestler to ever where the Cornell singlet. Apologizes to Dake.

Damn. I know Koll picked Yianni in the hypothetical match up but this is a pretty solid ‘all-in’ statement. I have to give credit to Koll for being willing to be bold with his statements and updates. He has a sharp eye. I’m excited to see whether his perspective neatly translates to better results. Recognizing Dake didn’t have a weight class at 141 like Yianni does this year.

See wrestlingreport Cornell forum. Koll says Yianni is most talented wrestler to ever where the Cornell singlet. Apologizes to Dake.

Damn. I know Koll picked Yianni in the hypothetical match up but this is a pretty solid ‘all-in’ statement. I have to give credit to Koll for being willing to be bold with his statements and updates. He has a sharp eye. I’m excited to see whether his perspective neatly translates to better results. Recognizing Dake didn’t have a weight class at 141 like Yianni does this year.

You need to apply the Koll Discount of 20% to everything he puts into those reports, unfortunately.

Yianni is elite for sure. He might be more naturally gifted, but I think Dake was one of those guys who grabs you and you say "WTF". Freakish strength combined with insane competitiveness.

141 is so tough this year. Yianni could win it, or take 5th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He got pinned by Donnie Vinson

At 149 pounds, No. 2 Kyle Dake took on No. 12 Donnie Vinson. Dake grabbed an early takedown, but Vinson escaped in the first period. Midway through the first period, Dake was hit with his first stalling warning . Dake chose to start the second down and immediately escaped. The Big Red wrestler was hit with his second stalling at the end of the second to give Vinson another point. Vinson chose to start the third at neutral and with 30 seconds left in the bout, the match was tied when Dake was hit with his third stalling call. Vinson took down Dake quickly after the call to win a 5-3 decision. 

At 149 pounds, No. 2 Kyle Dake took on No. 12 Donnie Vinson. Dake grabbed an early takedown, but Vinson escaped in the first period. Midway through the first period, Dake was hit with his first stalling warning . Dake chose to start the second down and immediately escaped. The Big Red wrestler was hit with his second stalling at the end of the second to give Vinson another point. Vinson chose to start the third at neutral and with 30 seconds left in the bout, the match was tied when Dake was hit with his third stalling call. Vinson took down Dake quickly after the call to win a 5-3 decision. 

I looked it up you're right. I don't know where I got that idea.

Most talented doesn't necessarily translate to "always wins" or even "the best."   One can make make the case some of the "most talented" (skill sets, technique, creativity, etc.) individuals (e.g., David Taylor in folkstyle or Russia's Karelin in freestyle ) have taken losses to "less talented" (maybe Cox; perhaps even Dake or Rulon Gardner in the other instance) wrestlers.   Same holds in team sports like soccer (e.g., Brazil's talented squads) or hockey (US Olympic team in 1980 over Soviet Union).   So, perhaps Yianni is more talented than Dake even if he doesn't win four (or one) title.

He took himself to his back against Montell Marion in the ncaa finals but ended up winning the scramble and getting the TD.

If I recall correctly, it was actually Montell who hit like a high-c or a double and drove Dake to his back, dead to rights. It was only then that Dake was able to somehow finagle a takedown off of that. Incredible hip power, proprioception, and scrambling ability.

There is little question that Yianni is more talented. Before arriving at Cornell, he had two world title and four state titles (despite missing his senior year). Dake had zero and two.  Yianni has slicker moves and seems quicker. I would say that Nickerson, Travis Lee and maybe Mack Lewnes were all more talented than Dake. But none of this is to say that they were stronger, tougher or more determined than Dake. Dake was (and probably still is) off the charts when it comes to determination.

If I recall correctly, it was actually Montell who hit like a high-c or a double and drove Dake to his back, dead to rights. It was only then that Dake was able to somehow finagle a takedown off of that. Incredible hip power, proprioception, and scrambling ability.

Right, Montell took him there for sure. I meant more that Dake tried to fight it to the point of going to his back, then continued to fight it until get won the scramble. 

He could have bailed there and gave up the two rather than go to his back - not that it ended up mattering. 

Will see if talent equals championships. I doubt he gets 4 the odds are against him.

Dake did something remarkable. I am rooting for Yanni . "just saying Dake college career was beyond special".

Frank C