• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

See wrestlingreport Cornell forum. Koll says Yianni is most talented wrestler to ever where the Cornell singlet. Apologizes to Dake.

Damn. I know Koll picked Yianni in the hypothetical match up but this is a pretty solid ‘all-in’ statement. I have to give credit to Koll for being willing to be bold with his statements and updates. He has a sharp eye. I’m excited to see whether his perspective neatly translates to better results. Recognizing Dake didn’t have a weight class at 141 like Yianni does this year.

#2 scribe

scribe

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 13,130 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

I thought Dakes 141 field was very good.

"This space for rent"

#3 scribe

scribe

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 13,130 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

I don’t necessarily agree yianni is more talented. Watching Dake scramble was like watching cats always landing on their feet.
  • AKHUNTER likes this

"This space for rent"

#4 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

Was Dake ever put on his back?

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#5 scribe

scribe

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 13,130 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

By his girlfriend
  • HurricaneWrestling, Grecojones, Witherman and 1 other like this

"This space for rent"

#6 klehner

klehner

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

See wrestlingreport Cornell forum. Koll says Yianni is most talented wrestler to ever where the Cornell singlet. Apologizes to Dake.

Damn. I know Koll picked Yianni in the hypothetical match up but this is a pretty solid ‘all-in’ statement. I have to give credit to Koll for being willing to be bold with his statements and updates. He has a sharp eye. I’m excited to see whether his perspective neatly translates to better results. Recognizing Dake didn’t have a weight class at 141 like Yianni does this year.

You need to apply the Koll Discount of 20% to everything he puts into those reports, unfortunately.

• tbert likes this

#7 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

He got pinned by Donnie Vinson

#8 tightwaist

tightwaist

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

Yianni is elite for sure. He might be more naturally gifted, but I think Dake was one of those guys who grabs you and you say "WTF". Freakish strength combined with insane competitiveness.

141 is so tough this year. Yianni could win it, or take 5th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

At 149 pounds, No. 2 Kyle Dake took on No. 12 Donnie Vinson. Dake grabbed an early takedown, but Vinson escaped in the first period. Midway through the first period, Dake was hit with his first stalling warning . Dake chose to start the second down and immediately escaped. The Big Red wrestler was hit with his second stalling at the end of the second to give Vinson another point. Vinson chose to start the third at neutral and with 30 seconds left in the bout, the match was tied when Dake was hit with his third stalling call. Vinson took down Dake quickly after the call to win a 5-3 decision. 

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#10 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

Um......at the 23 hour mark vinson super ducked dake and ran a half on him and pinned him!

#11 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

At 149 pounds, No. 2 Kyle Dake took on No. 12 Donnie Vinson. Dake grabbed an early takedown, but Vinson escaped in the first period. Midway through the first period, Dake was hit with his first stalling warning . Dake chose to start the second down and immediately escaped. The Big Red wrestler was hit with his second stalling at the end of the second to give Vinson another point. Vinson chose to start the third at neutral and with 30 seconds left in the bout, the match was tied when Dake was hit with his third stalling call. Vinson took down Dake quickly after the call to win a 5-3 decision. 

I looked it up you're right. I don't know where I got that idea.

#12 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

Most talented doesn't necessarily translate to "always wins" or even "the best."   One can make make the case some of the "most talented" (skill sets, technique, creativity, etc.) individuals (e.g., David Taylor in folkstyle or Russia's Karelin in freestyle ) have taken losses to "less talented" (maybe Cox; perhaps even Dake or Rulon Gardner in the other instance) wrestlers.   Same holds in team sports like soccer (e.g., Brazil's talented squads) or hockey (US Olympic team in 1980 over Soviet Union).   So, perhaps Yianni is more talented than Dake even if he doesn't win four (or one) title.

#13 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:39 PM

dake's got bigger triceps than yianni

• LoStNuMbEr, scribe, KTG119 and 1 other like this

#14 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

thank god someone had the balls to say it.....

• AllISeeIsBronze likes this

#15 whyme25

whyme25

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

In every hypothetical match against DT!! 

#16 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

A few times by Burroughs.

#17 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

In every hypothetical match against DT!!

Those hypotheticals expired a long time ago.

#18 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:10 AM

He took himself to his back against Montell Marion in the ncaa finals but ended up winning the scramble and getting the TD. 

#19 AllISeeIsBronze

AllISeeIsBronze

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:21 AM

He took himself to his back against Montell Marion in the ncaa finals but ended up winning the scramble and getting the TD.

If I recall correctly, it was actually Montell who hit like a high-c or a double and drove Dake to his back, dead to rights. It was only then that Dake was able to somehow finagle a takedown off of that. Incredible hip power, proprioception, and scrambling ability.

#20 LordNelson

LordNelson

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:16 AM

No he did not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users