Sign in to follow this  
nom

Koll says Yianni more talented than Dake

Maybe, just maybe,  it would be best to let Yianni win at LEAST 1 NCAA title before comparing him to one of very best most accomplished college wrestlers of all time? 

Maybe, just maybe, we are comparing Yianni *as a true freshman* to Kyle Dake *as a true freshman*, which is a perfectly reasonable comparison.  And one that Rob Koll, who I'm guessing is in a pretty good position to make the comparison, was comfortable in making.

Edited by klehner

Maybe, just maybe,  it would be best to let Yianni win at LEAST 1 NCAA title before comparing him to one of very best most accomplished college wrestlers of all time? 

Tell that to Coach Koll, you know, the guy who coaches them both. 

Yianni might not win 4. He may not win 1. But that does not mean he is not more talented than Kyle. Toughness, strength, athleticism, luck, and the level of competition (among other things) all play factors in addition to talent.

2:40 in

Marion got robbed on a couple of calls.  He had a reversal in the first period (rather than an escape).  The two count they gave Dake for pack points was way too fast, and it looked like Marion had a takedown at the end.   

Marion got robbed on a couple of calls. He had a reversal in the first period (rather than an escape). The two count they gave Dake for pack points was way too fast, and it looked like Marion had a takedown at the end.

Close calls, but wouldn’t say robbed.

I don't remember there being a huge recruiting "feeding frenzy" over Yianni.  I remember wondering at the time why that was, because the kid was all everything in HS.

Did Yianni commit very early in the recruiting process?

I don't remember there being a huge recruiting "feeding frenzy" over Yianni.  I remember wondering at the time why that was, because the kid was all everything in HS.

Did Yianni commit very early in the recruiting process?

His sophomore year.  He and Vito Arujau were off the table quite early.

http://www.newyorkwrestlingnews.com/news_article/show/445607-nationally-ranked-yianni-diakomihalis-gives-verbal-commitment-to-cornell

Talent and success are not always the same, obviously.  Not many wrestlers more talented, imo, than Darion Caldwell.  However, there are others with better careers.  I am sure there are many other talented individuals, but he comes to mind.

Nickerson was far and away the most technical wrestler ever at Cornell. Simaz has very best lungs of any wrestler. Travis Lee didn’t seems to need lungs. Garrett was a freak.

Dake was the complete package. Approaching but not exceeding any of the aforementioned attributes. Dake was strongest mentally ever at Cornell.

Yianni has a lot to work for in terms of most talented ever in a Cornell singlet.

Nickerson was far and away the most technical wrestler ever at Cornell. Simaz has very best lungs of any wrestler. Travis Lee didn’t seems to need lungs. Garrett was a freak.

Dake was the complete package. Approaching but not exceeding any of the aforementioned attributes. Dake was strongest mentally ever at Cornell.

Yianni has a lot to work for in terms of most talented ever in a Cornell singlet.

To speak nothing of the Ruth slayer.

Dake's greatest talent was self belief.  I[m not sure he was naturally phenomenal at anything; He made himself a great athlete and great wrestler seemingly by sheer will.  I really don't think the amount of year over year improvement he made through his career will ever be replicated.

Dake's greatest talent was self belief.  I[m not sure he was naturally phenomenal at anything; He made himself a great athlete and great wrestler seemingly by sheer will.  I really don't think the amount of year over year improvement he made through his career will ever be replicated.

He was a sprinter on his HS track team, and played second base and catcher for the baseball team.  Wrestled varsity from seventh grade on.

Pretty sure there was a phenomenal amount of natural talent in there.

He was a sprinter on his HS track team, and played second base and catcher for the baseball team.  Wrestled varsity from seventh grade on.

Pretty sure there was a phenomenal amount of natural talent in there.

Yup. Guys don't stop being good athletes the second they step off the mat. Most quality wrestlers that try other sports tend to do quite well in them. Jake Herbert was a linebacker, and I bet a pretty damn good one (until he decided to focus on only wrestling). Chris Perry was an all conference running back in HS (in 6A football). I knew a couple FS national champs that played for Oologah in HS who were pretty salty on the football field. Mark Schultz was a California HS Gymnastics champion before he took up wrestling. Lots more, I'm sure.

Talent and success are not always the same, obviously. Not many wrestlers more talented, imo, than Darion Caldwell. However, there are others with better careers. I am sure there are many other talented individuals, but he comes to mind.

You got that right buddy. Many who have been around both felt that Caldwell had more talent than JB. He was off the charts gifted.

I mean, was he good at sprinting or baseball?  I'm not sure either way, but everyone I have talked to in NYS, and watching him myself when he was in H.S., argues against him being a top-notch athlete.  That said, my point was that I think he has trained himself into a far far better, and more balanced, athlete than someone with lesser self belief could have.  I'm not even particularly a fan of Dake, but the degree he has been able to maximize his abilities amazes me.

I mean, was he good at sprinting or baseball?  I'm not sure either way, but everyone I have talked to in NYS, and watching him myself when he was in H.S., argues against him being a top-notch athlete.  That said, my point was that I think he has trained himself into a far far better, and more balanced, athlete than someone with lesser self belief could have.  I'm not even particularly a fan of Dake, but the degree he has been able to maximize his abilities amazes me.

From his Cornell bio:

Prior to Cornell: A six-time letter winner at Lansing HS, Dake was a two-time New York State champion and three-time finalist. He served as his team captain for four seasons, and received the 2009 team sportsmanship award. Dake was also Male Athlete of the Year in 2007. He was a 2008 junior World Team member, and Dake is a three-time NHSCA Wrestling Champion. Dake was also a two-time letter winner in baseball playing second base and catching. He was a sprinter in track where he lettered. Dake was student council vice-president from 2008-09.

So no notable accolades from baseball or track besides being on the team?  I just don't see how simply participating on multiple high school teams proves your athleticism.  Now, you take a guy who is all-state in their 'off' sport, and you have more of a case for a really gifted athlete.  Using some Cornell examples, Palacio in soccer, Nickerson in track, and Gabe Dean in football were all probably better athletes coming in than Dake.  He just made himself better.

I do think everyone should play multiple sports, and am by no means knocking Dake's off-the-mat pursuits.