Sign in to follow this  
nom

Koll says Yianni more talented than Dake

So no notable accolades from baseball or track besides being on the team?  I just don't see how simply participating on multiple high school teams proves your athleticism. 

Clearly if you are participating in an athletic event, then you are an "athlete" and, ipso facto, "proving your athleticism".  MOST guys who start on varsity teams don't make All Conf, All District, All Regional, All State, etc, so I wouldn't let it color my opine on Dake's athleticism too much if Dake wasn't a star performer in baseball or track. He was a little guy back then (under 140 pounds) and probably Track/baseball were the only other sports where he had a chance to actually compete.

Darmstardt (sp) may be the most spectacular freshman to wear the Cornell singlet.

He looked incredible last night.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I keep holding my breath waiting for someone to "figure out" Darmstadt - but so far, it looks like he's the one doing the figuring.

If I was a betting man, I'd still bet Yianni places higher at NCAA's; but not holding my breath on that one.

Poor Max Dean is 23-2 in his freshman campaign, but pretty much overshadowed by the other two "Killer D's".

Interesting that the three are so different - Yianni so obviously gifted, Darmstadt so unorthodox, and Dean just fundamentally solid and physically tough.

Edited by redblades

I keep holding my breath waiting for someone to "figure out" Darmstadt - but so far, it looks like he's the one doing the figuring.

If I was a betting man, I'd still bet Yianni places higher at NCAA's; but not holding my breath on that one.

Poor Max Dean is 23-2 in his freshman campaign, but pretty much overshadowed by the other two "Killer D's".

Interesting that the three are so different - Yianni so obviously gifted, Darmstadt so unorthodox, and Dean just fundamentally solid and physically tough.

Koll is always finding tough guys that want to wrestle for him. Gotta respect the Big Red!

Indoor/outdoor track seasons? They have it in college I believe. I could see well off HS doing the same.

um indoor track and wrestling would be same season. much more likely Dake played baseball and was able to squeeze in a few track meets in the spring than to think he ran track on the side during wrestling season. guessing he was 'all in' for wrestling in the winter time. 

I mean, was he good at sprinting or baseball?  I'm not sure either way, but everyone I have talked to in NYS, and watching him myself when he was in H.S., argues against him being a top-notch athlete.  That said, my point was that I think he has trained himself into a far far better, and more balanced, athlete than someone with lesser self belief could have.  I'm not even particularly a fan of Dake, but the degree he has been able to maximize his abilities amazes me.

Sorry, this is just nuts.  I watched Dake since 7th grade.  He would have been a many more time state champ, but got caught and pinned while way ahead in the state semis as a freshman [i was mat side]. 

The next year he demolished state champs, and those that pounded state champs.

His only loss after that was to Paddock as a JR.  Who was excellent. Dake was a NY 2 xer in amazing weights losing 2 X in 4 years and beat many future D1 guys. Yup... no talent there. No way he was a "top-notch athlete".

I truly find it fascinating that people are so insecure they need to boost their egos by sitting behind their keyboards and putting down kids and now adults.

Dake was a standout kid in HS.... extremely impressive. In college he did what no one else ever did... 4 titles in 4 weights.  And you actually saying he is not talented?

It must be painful to be that insecure.

Sorry, this is just nuts. I watched Dake since 7th grade. He would have been a many more time state champ, but got caught and pinned while way ahead in the state semis as a freshman [i was mat side].

His only loss after that was to Paddock as a JR. Who was excellent. Dake was a NY 2 xer in amazing weights losing 2 X in 4 years and beat many future D1 guys. Yup... no talent there. No way he was a "top-notch athlete".

I truly find it fascinating that people are so insecure they need to boost their egos by sitting behind their keyboards and putting down kids and now adults.

Dake was a standout kid in HS.... extremely impressive. In college he did what no one else ever did... 4 titles in 4 weights. And you actually saying he is not talented?

“Putting down kids” lol. So complimenting a dudes mental toughness as his greatest asset now qualifies as a put down.

“It must be painful to be that insecure.”

Sorry, this is just nuts. I watched Dake since 7th grade. He would have been a many more time state champ, but got caught and pinned while way ahead in the state semis as a freshman [i was mat side].

His only loss after that was to Paddock as a JR. Who was excellent. Dake was a NY 2 xer in amazing weights losing 2 X in 4 years and beat many future D1 guys. Yup... no talent there. No way he was a "top-notch athlete".

Dake was a standout kid in HS.... extremely impressive. In college he did what no one else ever did... 4 titles in 4 weights. And you actually saying he is not talented?

What are you talking about? Nobody in this thread has said anything disparaging about Kyle Dake in any way, shape or form.

Curious if you have a point here.

I'm curious as to how you could do both. Indoor track is the same as wrestling season. Outdoor track is a spring sport, as is baseball. I suspect that he did track early in HS and finished with baseball, which he probably liked more. 

I'm not putting him down. I'm a huge fan of his.