• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Frank_Rizzo

Frank_Rizzo

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:46 AM

Koll is the best coach in the country and doesn't make a habit of speaking hyperbolically.   

"I don't like the sport of wrestling as you know.  It's a low sport.  And I don't like to see you being low."

#22 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:27 AM

There is little question that Yianni is more talented. Before arriving at Cornell, he had two world title and four state titles (despite missing his senior year). Dake had zero and two.  Yianni has slicker moves and seems quicker. I would say that Nickerson, Travis Lee and maybe Mack Lewnes were all more talented than Dake. But none of this is to say that they were stronger, tougher or more determined than Dake. Dake was (and probably still is) off the charts when it comes to determination.

• CoachWrestling likes this

#23 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:39 AM

If I recall correctly, it was actually Montell who hit like a high-c or a double and drove Dake to his back, dead to rights. It was only then that Dake was able to somehow finagle a takedown off of that. Incredible hip power, proprioception, and scrambling ability.

Right, Montell took him there for sure. I meant more that Dake tried to fight it to the point of going to his back, then continued to fight it until get won the scramble. 

He could have bailed there and gave up the two rather than go to his back - not that it ended up mattering. 

• AllISeeIsBronze likes this

#24 cangemi

cangemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:37 AM

Will see if talent equals championships. I doubt he gets 4 the odds are against him.

Dake did something remarkable. I am rooting for Yanni . "just saying Dake college career was beyond special".

Frank C

#25 AKHUNTER

AKHUNTER

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:49 AM

He took himself to his back against Montell Marion in the ncaa finals but ended up winning the scramble and getting the TD. 

Did Dake EVER lose a scramble in college?.......... I don't remember it happening.

• AllISeeIsBronze likes this

#26 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:52 AM

2:40 in

#27 JerryCallo

JerryCallo
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

Maybe, just maybe,  it would be best to let Yianni win at LEAST 1 NCAA title before comparing him to one of very best most accomplished college wrestlers of all time? 

• TheOhioState, whyme25, Frank_Rizzo and 1 other like this

YOU WERE SERIOUS ABOUT THAT?

#28 klehner

klehner

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

Maybe, just maybe,  it would be best to let Yianni win at LEAST 1 NCAA title before comparing him to one of very best most accomplished college wrestlers of all time? 

Maybe, just maybe, we are comparing Yianni *as a true freshman* to Kyle Dake *as a true freshman*, which is a perfectly reasonable comparison.  And one that Rob Koll, who I'm guessing is in a pretty good position to make the comparison, was comfortable in making.

Edited by klehner, 14 February 2018 - 10:25 AM.

• pjm46 likes this

#29 nyum

nyum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

Tell that to Coach Koll, you know, the guy who coaches them both. 

#30 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

Yianni might not win 4. He may not win 1. But that does not mean he is not more talented than Kyle. Toughness, strength, athleticism, luck, and the level of competition (among other things) all play factors in addition to talent.

• Housebuye likes this

#31 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:04 PM

2:40 in

Marion got robbed on a couple of calls.  He had a reversal in the first period (rather than an escape).  The two count they gave Dake for pack points was way too fast, and it looked like Marion had a takedown at the end.   

#32 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

Marion got robbed on a couple of calls. He had a reversal in the first period (rather than an escape). The two count they gave Dake for pack points was way too fast, and it looked like Marion had a takedown at the end.

Close calls, but wouldn’t say robbed.

#33 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:15 PM

I don't remember there being a huge recruiting "feeding frenzy" over Yianni.  I remember wondering at the time why that was, because the kid was all everything in HS.

Did Yianni commit very early in the recruiting process?

#34 klehner

klehner

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

I don't remember there being a huge recruiting "feeding frenzy" over Yianni.  I remember wondering at the time why that was, because the kid was all everything in HS.

Did Yianni commit very early in the recruiting process?

His sophomore year.  He and Vito Arujau were off the table quite early.

http://www.newyorkwr...ment-to-cornell

• TobusRex and AllISeeIsBronze like this

#35 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:46 PM

His sophomore year.  He and Vito Arujau were off the table quite early.

http://www.newyorkwr...ment-to-cornell

That explains it! Thanks man.

#36 pennsyrules

pennsyrules

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:28 AM

Talent and success are not always the same, obviously.  Not many wrestlers more talented, imo, than Darion Caldwell.  However, there are others with better careers.  I am sure there are many other talented individuals, but he comes to mind.

#37 scribe

scribe

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 13,130 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

Nickerson was far and away the most technical wrestler ever at Cornell. Simaz has very best lungs of any wrestler. Travis Lee didn’t seems to need lungs. Garrett was a freak.

Dake was the complete package. Approaching but not exceeding any of the aforementioned attributes. Dake was strongest mentally ever at Cornell.

Yianni has a lot to work for in terms of most talented ever in a Cornell singlet.

"This space for rent"

#38 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

Nickerson was far and away the most technical wrestler ever at Cornell. Simaz has very best lungs of any wrestler. Travis Lee didn’t seems to need lungs. Garrett was a freak.

Dake was the complete package. Approaching but not exceeding any of the aforementioned attributes. Dake was strongest mentally ever at Cornell.

Yianni has a lot to work for in terms of most talented ever in a Cornell singlet.

To speak nothing of the Ruth slayer.

#39 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

Yanni barely survives in a dual today over Headlee, whose record is something like 14-11.

Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell) over Austin Headlee (North Carolina) (Dec 7-6)

#40 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:13 AM

Dake's greatest talent was self belief.  I[m not sure he was naturally phenomenal at anything; He made himself a great athlete and great wrestler seemingly by sheer will.  I really don't think the amount of year over year improvement he made through his career will ever be replicated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users