So, I know it's early, and I really don't know what Adam Coon's plans are after the season, but with his emergence this year, is he a threat to the Gwiz, and to Robbie, for their spots on this year's World Team.

NCAA semis in 2016. Gwiz 7 Coon 6. Coon adds 20 lbs and has two years of greco. I think it is a tossup against Gwiz and Robbie.

Coon also beat Gwiz early in the year like the first year Gwiz won it. Coon is more than likely sticking with Greco. Someone mentioned it on the college board and I had totally blanked on this until then but he cuts from around 300 to get to 285 in season. If he went free, he has another 20 he has to cut. That is more doable for a bigger guy but coon is not a fat 285 either.

Coon also beat Gwiz early in the year like the first year Gwiz won it. Coon is more than likely sticking with Greco. Someone mentioned it on the college board and I had totally blanked on this until then but he cuts from around 300 to get to 285 in season. If he went free, he has another 20 he has to cut. That is more doable for a bigger guy but coon is not a fat 285 either.

It would actually be another 10 lbs he would have to cut -  125 kg is 275 lbs.  For a while FS had gone down to 120 kg (264lbs) but that went back up to 125 kg.

It would actually be another 10 lbs he would have to cut - 125 kg is 275 lbs. For a while FS had gone down to 120 kg (264lbs) but that went back up to 125 kg.

Haha I hadn’t noticed that. Ok that does change things then.

Yah, it doesn't sound like 285 is a very hard cut for him. He weighed-in at 280 last weekend (Snyder was 225). Coon could probably make 125kg (~276lb) or 130kg (~287lb) under UWW weigh-in rules without much difficulty.

I thought there was some possible NFL talk........

He said he wants to be an Olympian, then maybe play in the NFL. I wonder if Jim Harbaugh ever gave him a call there. Also, isn't Coon like 6'7"? If he has soft hands, can make a hook shot and has a decent vertical or wingspan, he'd do well clogging the paint in basketball. We already know he has the footwork, lateral movement and agility to defend the low post and take a charge. Save pro football and CTE for another life.

Coon is also getting an aerospace engineering degree, I think, from one of the best universities in the country. Dude has got some nice options.

Yah, it doesn't sound like 285 is a very hard cut for him. He weighed-in at 280 last weekend (Snyder was 225). Coon could probably make 125kg (~276lb) or 130kg (~287lb) under UWW weigh-in rules without much difficulty.

He said he wants to be an Olympian, then maybe play in the NFL. I wonder if Jim Harbaugh ever gave him a call there. Also, isn't Coon like 6'7"? If he has soft hands, can make a hook shot and has a decent vertical or wingspan, he'd do well clogging the paint in basketball. We already know he has the footwork, lateral movement and agility to defend the low post and take a charge. Save pro football and CTE for another life.

Coon is also getting an aerospace engineering degree, I think, from one of the best universities in the country. Dude has got some nice options.

So after he takes Olympic Gold in both freestyle and Greco, then he splits time between the NBA and NFL for a few years and presumably makes the HOF in both. From there, he comes an astronaut, and I would assume the first man to walk on Mars.   Any chancing the man can cure cancer if he's got a bit of downtime?  

Edited by Cradle1

So after he takes Olympic Gold in both freestyle and Greco, then he splits time between the NBA and NFL for a few years and presumably makes the HOF in both. From there, he comes an astronaut, and I would assume the first man to walk on Mars. Any chancing the man can cure cancer if he's got a bit of downtime?

Only if cancer tries to go upper body with Coon.

I figured with his aspirations to become an astronaut, Coon wouldn't be doing much wrestling post collegiately.     That would be great if he does.    Smith may be getting a little long in the tooth (31)  and Coon might be right there with Gwiz.   I think he legitimately has a shot at either team.     What a fricken stud.    

Amazing career ahead of him for sure! Any top wrestler ever been an astronaut?  He is listed at 6' 5" by the way and weighs around 295 when not cutting so 275 or 285 is not hard for him. Actually that is a perfect cut and ideal weight. Two years ago he was weighing in at around 265 so he has put on some muscle, especially in his upper body!  

Does being that giant pose any difficulties for the astronautical career path?  Those ISS tubes don't seem that spacious to me.

I believe that he is actually too tall to meet the current size requirements to be an astronaut.

Edited by Crotalus

I have to believe Coon researched this and confirmed he is eligible despite his size.    Seems like far too bright of a guy to have missed verifying that detail and then to go into the program and well on his way to completing it.    Although I think it would be quite the moment to see him graduate and then at that time learn he's too big to be an astronaut.    

He mentioned in an interview that he is aware of NASA's 6'4" height limit for astronauts (it used to be 5'11" + 180 lbs) and that one of his school projects is related to efficient transport and housing of someone his size in space. What a talented guy.

Edited by pamela

Jim Wetherbee

Only American to have commanded five missions in space. Has landed the Space Shuttle more times than anyone (five). At 6'4" (1.93 m), Jim Wetherbee is the tallest person to fly in space.

Adam Coon doesn't have to be too big to fly in space, he could look like this:

incredible-hulk-edward-norton-550x233.jp

instead of this:

40090576622_e3f19e7d58_o_d.jpg