• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Greatdane67

Greatdane67
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:30 AM

http://intermatwrest.../articles/19657

I guess the old wrestlers not buying into the new system. 

#2 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:36 AM

I am not a Dresser fan. However, I have no doubt this needed to happen for ISU to be successful. KJ had some decent recruits and still saw the program fall fast. There was obviously something wrong with the culture that was not going to lead to success. For Dresser to have success, he has to do it his way. He can't walk the line between the old staffs standards and his own to appease a few athletes if he wants to make a change that sticks.

Edited by russelscout, 14 February 2018 - 12:37 AM.

• OrangeEffect likes this
"To feel sorry for him because his dream is going down the drain is ludicrous. I would like nothing more than to see Josh Budke on top of the heap at the end. The thing is he has to earn it. It's not that he deserves it. He doesn't deserve anything. The only thing you deserve is what you earn." -Tom Brands

#3 tigerfan9311

tigerfan9311

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:40 AM

Mizzou would be an obvious candidate.  125 starting spot is wide open next year for Weston, and I don't think Luke Fortuna would be a tremendous favorite to replace Lavallee over Colston.  Of course, this would greatly depend on what their issue with Dresser is, and whether Smith thinks they have the right attitude to live TigerStyle.  Smith won't touch them if he thinks they bring attitude issues.

#4 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:44 AM

^i don’t think Smith will want him.

#5 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:46 AM

"Cleansing" implies the guys leaving were dirty or garbage, which is hardly the case.  The personalities/philosophies didn't mesh.  Good luck to all involved and everyone move on.

• gowrestle, xander, stp and 1 other like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#6 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:48 AM

I like the new coaching staff. They will be successful
Tony Clifton

#7 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:05 AM

"Cleansing" implies the guys leaving were dirty or garbage, which is hardly the case.  The personalities/philosophies didn't mesh.  Good luck to all involved and everyone move on.

This. Dresser is a proven coach, but these things take time. When he gets "his" class in there and has a few years to develop them they will be a top 15 team consistently I'm sure.

#8 meluvwrestling

meluvwrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:21 AM

^i don’t think Smith will want him.

Smith recruited DiBlasi out of HS so there maybe some interest but limited if any at this point due to the lack of success Colston has had up to this point in his short college career.  The problem maybe the packaged deal the DiBlasi's are seeking.  That type of deal can be difficult for a team to financially support.

Edited by meluvwrestling, 14 February 2018 - 01:23 AM.

#9 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:27 AM

This staff will not accept top 15 — they have higher standards and expectations than that. KJ was top 15 his last 4 years I think.

I agree it will take time.
Tony Clifton

#10 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:27 AM

...100% agree- uninformed topic title and opening post- you choose a school based on the staff- staff changes (out of your control) - choose another school. I feel being denied in-conference transfer under theses circumstances is unfair to the athlete- the outgoing coach and/or the school created the change- don't penalize the athlete(s). Dresser got Virginia Tech into good shape, will do the same at Iowa State...

• Coach_J and ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying like this

#11 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:44 AM

...100% agree- uninformed topic title and opening post- you choose a school based on the staff- staff changes (out of your control) - choose another school. I feel being denied in-conference transfer under theses circumstances is unfair to the athlete- the outgoing coach and/or the school created the change- don't penalize the athlete(s). Dresser got Virginia Tech into good shape, will do the same at Iowa State...

If the new staff reduces scholarship money then I would have no problem with a rule that says you can transfer without restriction.  I'd have no problem if that was the case if the existing staff you signed with reduced scholarship money.  But if you sign with a school and they honor the scholarship they offered you, then I see no reason why you not liking your new coach should mean you get to go compete directly against that school.  

• cornercoach and ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying like this

#12 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:00 AM

This. Dresser is a proven coach, but these things take time. When he gets "his" class in there and has a few years to develop them they will be a top 15 team consistently I'm sure.

Good for him and God bless his staff and program.  "Cleansing" is still a poor choice of words.  He's making changes, as are the people in the program left over when he got there.  Maybe those wrestlers transferring are "cleansing" themselves too.  Again, best to all involved.

• teach and boconnell like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#13 LordNelson

LordNelson

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:15 AM

Dresser has a clear history of cleaning house and bringing in his own guys.

He, as a person, could use some refining but he does bring his recruits along.

#14 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:48 AM

KD was given good length contract (5+ years) that was probably top 5 salary wise.

He was given top operating funds to hire top staff.

I hope current athletes find peace at isu or elsewhere. The next 5 years will be built around Gomez & Carrrrrrrrrrr.

Go cyclones !
Tony Clifton

#15 Frank_Rizzo

Frank_Rizzo

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:53 AM

That's a lot of mid-season departures from Iowa State.  I'm trying to remember a similar situation in the past but am at a loss. 

#16 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:05 AM

I hope all the transfers find appropriate coaches and programs that fit their personalities.

Sad storr left but hope he finds safe university.

Encouraged by Parker’s recent win - hope he is not injured

Edited by xander, 14 February 2018 - 03:06 AM.

• Coach_J likes this
Tony Clifton

#17 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:12 AM

Was part of the issue that Colton got recruited-over? I seem to remember there being kind of a logjam at and around his weight at ISU.

Maybe they could head down the road to Iowa, assuming that ISU doesn't have an issue with in-state transfers. Opportunities for C and W to grow into 174 and 133 and try to crack the lineup.

ISU is going to have to hit the recruiting trail hard. I'm a little surprised they haven't gotten a bit more traction, since Dresser and esp his assistant coaches seem like they would have some pull with top recruits.

#18 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:42 AM

Good for him and God bless his staff and program.  "Cleansing" is still a poor choice of words.  He's making changes, as are the people in the program left over when he got there.  Maybe those wrestlers transferring are "cleansing" themselves too.  Again, best to all involved.

I mean, I was agreeing with you in your initial post, but alright. Ill just agree again.

• Coach_J likes this

#19 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

Agree it is not a "cleansing".

It is a new coach allowing kids who were recruited before he got there to transfer without penalty. A good move on his part and one that will help ISU as well as the wrestlers who chose to move on.

It is time for the NCAA to look carefully at transfer rules when a head coaching change happens. Especially when a head coach moves to another program - though that was not the case here.

All the signed letters that say they commit to the school, not the coach/staff are foolish. Everyone involved knows the coaching staff is the reason many kids choose a school. Not the only reason but in many cases the primary reason.

Few athletes will get a transfer clause or agreement like Steve Mocco did before committing to a school. Mocco got one and Iowa kept their word and let him go.

ISU is allowing the kids to move on. This situation is way different from Iowa/Brands and Wes Hand interference in a coaching move.

• xander, iGranby and ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying like this

#20 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:59 AM

Agree it is not a "cleansing".

It is a new coach allowing kids who were recruited before he got there to transfer without penalty. A good move on his part and one that will help ISU as well as the wrestlers who chose to move on.

It is time for the NCAA to look carefully at transfer rules when a head coaching change happens. Especially when a head coach moves to another program - though that was not the case here.

All the signed letters that say they commit to the school, not the coach/staff are foolish. Everyone involved knows the coaching staff is the reason many kids choose a school. Not the only reason but in many cases the primary reason.

Few athletes will get a transfer clause or agreement like Steve Mocco did before committing to a school. Mocco got one and Iowa kept their word and let him go.

ISU is allowing the kids to move on. This situation is way different from Iowa/Brands and Wes Hand interference in a coaching move.

But it's the school paying for these kids, not the coaches.  This isn't basketball or football where a revenue sport has made large amounts of money off of these athletes.  This is wrestling where none/almost none of these kids bring in more money than they cost.  

These kids sign with a school that pays for everything in their life.  I see no reason why the kids should be allowed to leave that school any time they feel like it if the school is fulfilling their end (providing the promised scholarship amount).  

• Peso likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users