Sign in to follow this  
DF

Why is faking shots ok but it's not ok to fake an injury?

Just got back from reffing a dual meet.  In one of the matches a wrestler kept taking shots but with no real commitment.  Then in the 3rd period his opponent took a timeout for an "injury".

The coach of Wrestler Fake Shots yammered about how the other wrestler was faking the injury timeout so he could rest.  I told him the same thing could be said about his wrestler who was faking shots and just going through the motions to give the impression of being on the offensive.

The coach had nothing further to say after I pointed out this hypocrisy.

Just got back from reffing a dual meet.  In one of the matches a wrestler kept taking shots but with no real commitment.  Then in the 3rd period his opponent took a timeout for an "injury".

The coach of Wrestler Fake Shots yammered about how the other wrestler was faking the injury timeout so he could rest.  I told him the same thing could be said about his wrestler who was faking shots and just going through the motions to give the impression of being on the offensive.

The coach had nothing further to say after I pointed out this hypocrisy.

Fake shots

Fake injury

Fake news

Fake ref

;)

I got yelled at once for not taking injury time once, cramped up pretty bad and could barely walk, probably should have taken it, but didnt want anyone thinking i need a breather. Needless to say I lost.

Edited by maolsen

Who hasn't faked an injury at some point in their career to get a breather? I know I have.

My brother called for one right at the start of the 3rd period in the state finals. The crowd responded with several loud boos. During those last two minutes he gave up 2-3 stall calls, but he still won 7-3.

My brother called for one right at the start of the 3rd period in the state finals. The crowd responded with several loud boos. During those last two minutes he gave up 2-3 stall calls, but he still won 7-3.

With these new rules giving the other wrestler choice after taking injury time, the optimal point to take it is right before the start of a period when your opponent has choice.  Clearly, you're brother knows what he's doing, and I can see why he was a state champ. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

With these new rules giving the other wrestler choice after taking injury time, the optimal point to take it is right before the start of a period when your opponent has choice. Clearly, you're brother knows what he's doing, and I can see why he was a state champ.

DF would be proud. There was another match when he called for one and when the girl trainer came to see what was wrong, he asked for her number. He got it too.

Daniel Lewis should have faked injury time against vincenzo Joseph last year in the quarters at ncaas when he was gassing. I would be willing to bet cenzo would pick neutral once Lewis got his feet back under him..

Yes. The injury time rule doesn’t really punish the Dan Lewis, Spencer Lee, Ben Darmstadts of the world.

Coaches teach the “fake shots” technique. In a football game, when a team has a slight lead and time is running out, they don’t throw the ball but rather use very conservative low risk running plays. Protecting a lead is part of sport.

With these new rules giving the other wrestler choice after taking injury time, the optimal point to take it is right before the start of a period when your opponent has choice.  Clearly, you're brother knows what he's doing, and I can see why he was a state champ. 

He gets two choices if you do this. He gets the "regular" choice at the start of the round, then the "injury" choice at the next whistle restart. 

Coaches teach the “fake shots” technique. In a football game, when a team has a slight lead and time is running out, they don’t throw the ball but rather use very conservative low risk running plays. Protecting a lead is part of sport.

I hate it when folks use other sports (or "games" in this case) as an analogy for wrestling.  Wrestling is THE oldest sport, doesn't need to be compared to newcomers.  Plus:

24 So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak.25 When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. 26 Then the man said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.”

But Jacob replied, “I will not let you go ... " 

Did Jacob stall or take an injury timeout? ... I don't think so!!  ;)

DF would be proud. There was another match when he called for one and when the girl trainer came to see what was wrong, he asked for her number. He got it too.

I can't if you are being serious or just DFing us

This, "DFing", has to go down as one of the best invented words ever on the forum, along with Kesselled