Sign in to follow this  
executionery4145

Coaching

I've lived in Virginia most of my life (grew up, left for awhile, came back), and I also thought we had rules that coaches had to be an employee of the school.  Usually a teacher, sometimes an 'assistant principle', but on the school payroll.  Your description of the Dresser situation surprises me, but then I've been away from that environment for a few decades now, have no idea what the regs are.

Did you hear about the fiasco down in Chesapeake near the end of football season?  A guy, senior I think, played for a school that either got knocked out of the playoffs early or didn't make it at all - played in every game to the end.  He 'moves' to a new home and suddenly is on the roster at one of the Chesapeake schools, in time for the state semifinals - and he's a DI recruit, IIRC.  (Imagine a guy playing for the Yankees, they get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs - and a few weeks later one of their guys is playing for the Astros in World Series).  The VHSL let him play because they said the rules didn't explicitly forbid it, but they're looking at closing that loophole.  Needless to say, a lot of people were pretty ticked off about it.

The VHSL is just awful. We'll leave it at that.

Similar situation. Was way too much balancing a non-teaching job and coaching, so I put on the stripes. I see a lot of teams with almost as many assistants as wrestlers yet we have a serious reffing shortage. Wish more people would follow suit.

How does a guy go about becoming a ref anyway?

Larry “The Legend” Tremblay, is the winningest coach in New England. He has over 700 wins. He was a PE major at Springfield College but became a police officer. He made it work but he’ll tell you it would have been easier if he was a teacher in the school.

I mean from a general fan perspective. I think they are extremely important for development, and the people who coach are doing great things for their students' lives. I just don't think anybody should be paid a significant amount only to coach a single high school team (as somebody described was the case for Dresser in HS). The wrestling coach should also be the assistant baseball coach, or math teacher, or PE coach...There are towns that seem to care more about who their football coach is than their science/history teachers, and that's a problem. Why does anybody care how the local high school team does in football/wrestling/etc if they do not have kids on the team?

I like the way you think.