• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

Steve taught physical education. Although the most scary thing about his job was he also was a drivers ed instructor - anyone who has ever driven with him knows why this is hilarious.

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#22 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

Not sure about Steve.  About ten years ago, the local paper did a long series about the Martins.  Wayne got the dynasty going at GB.  Don't know if he was ever a teacher, but definitely worked in administration about the time he handed off to Steve.  The series started off, of course, talking about what Billy did at Granby.  I had an Army colleague who graduated from Granby in the dad's final year, had Martin as his gym teacher.  Martin already had a legendary reputation, this guy said you did not want to be in his doghouse.  Billy and the family also built a very successful business (vinyard, I think), and a lot of wrestlers had summer jobs there.  I'd bet today that would get a close look to make sure nothing sketchy was going on.  One interesting little subtopic, the father's rise to fame and glory came well before Dan Gable's career, and as Gable's dynasty took off, this story said that the two did not care for each other - apparently very different philosophies about wrestling.  Then Billy Martin's youngest child made a point of wrestling for Gable - don't know what the old man thought of that.

I've read that, good stuff. 

#23 BamaGrappler

BamaGrappler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

Stay out of the SEC as they know how to generate money and win championships.

Exactly,
If anyone successfully gets Saban or Smart on board....watch out!
:-)

Edited by BamaGrappler, 18 March 2018 - 10:32 AM.

#24 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,135 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Not sure about Steve.  About ten years ago, the local paper did a long series about the Martins.  Wayne got the dynasty going at GB.  Don't know if he was ever a teacher, but definitely worked in administration about the time he handed off to Steve.  The series started off, of course, talking about what Billy did at Granby.  I had an Army colleague who graduated from Granby in the dad's final year, had Martin as his gym teacher.  Martin already had a legendary reputation, this guy said you did not want to be in his doghouse.  Billy and the family also built a very successful business (vinyard, I think), and a lot of wrestlers had summer jobs there.  I'd bet today that would get a close look to make sure nothing sketchy was going on.  One interesting little subtopic, the father's rise to fame and glory came well before Dan Gable's career, and as Gable's dynasty took off, this story said that the two did not care for each other - apparently very different philosophies about wrestling.  Then Billy Martin's youngest child made a point of wrestling for Gable - don't know what the old man thought of that.

From the article it seemed like Steve felt that his dad was outdated and that in order to be successful in the present you had to be much more intense and mentally tough instead of just being technically sound.  He said something like how he wasn't ready to wrestle at a national championship level right away in college and he learned that by wrestling for Iowa.  

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#25 SetonHallPirate

SetonHallPirate

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:18 AM

I've lived in Virginia most of my life (grew up, left for awhile, came back), and I also thought we had rules that coaches had to be an employee of the school.  Usually a teacher, sometimes an 'assistant principle', but on the school payroll.  Your description of the Dresser situation surprises me, but then I've been away from that environment for a few decades now, have no idea what the regs are.

Did you hear about the fiasco down in Chesapeake near the end of football season?  A guy, senior I think, played for a school that either got knocked out of the playoffs early or didn't make it at all - played in every game to the end.  He 'moves' to a new home and suddenly is on the roster at one of the Chesapeake schools, in time for the state semifinals - and he's a DI recruit, IIRC.  (Imagine a guy playing for the Yankees, they get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs - and a few weeks later one of their guys is playing for the Astros in World Series).  The VHSL let him play because they said the rules didn't explicitly forbid it, but they're looking at closing that loophole.  Needless to say, a lot of people were pretty ticked off about it.

I remember, Carl Krauser (who had already signed to pumpkin-push for Pitt) played against my high school on Wednesday for St. Thomas More, got kicked out of St. Thomas More, enrolled at Notre Dame Prep...and played against us again on Saturday! Naturally, he killed us both times!

Building a better Pirate...construction in process.

Editor-in-Chief, WrestlingByPirate

Website/Blog: http://wrestlingbypirate.wordpress.com

Twitter: @wrestlingbypir8

Building a smarter wrestling fan

#26 HokieHWT

HokieHWT

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:52 AM

I've lived in Virginia most of my life (grew up, left for awhile, came back), and I also thought we had rules that coaches had to be an employee of the school.  Usually a teacher, sometimes an 'assistant principle', but on the school payroll.  Your description of the Dresser situation surprises me, but then I've been away from that environment for a few decades now, have no idea what the regs are.

Did you hear about the fiasco down in Chesapeake near the end of football season?  A guy, senior I think, played for a school that either got knocked out of the playoffs early or didn't make it at all - played in every game to the end.  He 'moves' to a new home and suddenly is on the roster at one of the Chesapeake schools, in time for the state semifinals - and he's a DI recruit, IIRC.  (Imagine a guy playing for the Yankees, they get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs - and a few weeks later one of their guys is playing for the Astros in World Series).  The VHSL let him play because they said the rules didn't explicitly forbid it, but they're looking at closing that loophole.  Needless to say, a lot of people were pretty ticked off about it.

The VHSL is just awful. We'll leave it at that.

#27 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

Similar situation. Was way too much balancing a non-teaching job and coaching, so I put on the stripes. I see a lot of teams with almost as many assistants as wrestlers yet we have a serious reffing shortage. Wish more people would follow suit.

How does a guy go about becoming a ref anyway?

#28 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:19 PM

Larry “The Legend” Tremblay, is the winningest coach in New England. He has over 700 wins. He was a PE major at Springfield College but became a police officer. He made it work but he’ll tell you it would have been easier if he was a teacher in the school.

#29 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:23 PM

I mean from a general fan perspective. I think they are extremely important for development, and the people who coach are doing great things for their students' lives. I just don't think anybody should be paid a significant amount only to coach a single high school team (as somebody described was the case for Dresser in HS). The wrestling coach should also be the assistant baseball coach, or math teacher, or PE coach...There are towns that seem to care more about who their football coach is than their science/history teachers, and that's a problem. Why does anybody care how the local high school team does in football/wrestling/etc if they do not have kids on the team?

I like the way you think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users