• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MikePorcelli

MikePorcelli
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:49 AM

http://www.sun-senti...0214-story.html

Chris Hixon is the athletic director and wrestling coach at Stoneman Douglas High School. He was injured in the school shooting and needs our thoughts and prayers.

#2 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:05 PM

Unfortunately he is one of the victims who passed away. The linked article is updated to reflect that and has quotes from some of the wrestlers on the team.  Really tough to read, but it sounds like he was a great coach on and off the mat. 

A couple of quotes from the article:

“Coach Hixon was just a hard-working guy. He’ll make you sweat. He’ll make you bleed, but he’s always with you, [whether] you win or you lose.”

“I started wrestling this year. He really changed me,” Reed said. “I came in meek, not really confident, and he’s really made me a more confident, stronger person. Great man.”

I will never understand why semi-auto assault rifles are legalized and so ubiquitous in this country, and hopefully one day we can get rid of them. 

Edited by Billyhoyle, 15 February 2018 - 06:07 PM.

#3 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,544 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:22 AM

Unfortunately he is one of the victims who passed away. The linked article is updated to reflect that and has quotes from some of the wrestlers on the team.  Really tough to read, but it sounds like he was a great coach on and off the mat. 

A couple of quotes from the article:

“Coach Hixon was just a hard-working guy. He’ll make you sweat. He’ll make you bleed, but he’s always with you, [whether] you win or you lose.”

“I started wrestling this year. He really changed me,” Reed said. “I came in meek, not really confident, and he’s really made me a more confident, stronger person. Great man.”

I will never understand why semi-auto assault rifles are legalized and so ubiquitous in this country, and hopefully one day we can get rid of them. 

They were outlawed between 1994 and 2004 with countless studies showing little impact on gun crimes in the US. More laws might make you feel good, but they are unlikely to actually make you or the nation's children any safer. The problem is far more complicated than outlawing these types of rifles. 

I don't say this for any political purpose as not enough people read these forums to amount to anything, I just say this because it is the reality of the day. The reasons for why certain people try and sometimes succeed at committing atrocities like this are complicated. Solutions are equally complicated. 

My prayers go out to all victims of violent crime. 

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#4 gromit

gromit

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:39 AM

Very sad. The clip says he's from Easton, PA.  I wonder if Willie is familiar with him.

anarchy in the UK

twitter @GromitK9

#5 provocateur

provocateur

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:20 PM

I'm not a political partisan either, but I live in Australia, where banning assault rifles has had a huge. We don't have a problem with mass shootings. 

#6 denger

denger

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

They were outlawed between 1994 and 2004 with countless studies showing little impact on gun crimes in the US. More laws might make you feel good, but they are unlikely to actually make you or the nation's children any safer. The problem is far more complicated than outlawing these types of rifles. 

GeeeWiz, I wonder if anything has changed since 2004?

#7 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:36 AM

Gun laws are strict there is enough regulation on them.  Drug laws aren't.....Physicians need to start prescribing excercise (natural endorphins) not anti-depressants.  All of the school mass shootings involved children who were on anti-depressants  This whole situation is sad!!

#8 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:42 AM

Gun laws are strict there is enough regulation on them. Drug laws aren't.....Physicians need to start prescribing excercise (natural endorphins) not anti-depressants. All of the school mass shootings involved children who were on anti-depressants This whole situation is sad!!

Most people who die from heart attacks are taking statin medication. Most people who die from cancer have gone through chemo. Therefore statins cause heart disease and chemo causes cancer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users