• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:08 AM

This year we chose the Colorado State tournament.  Weather is sunny and the Pepsi Center is where the action is.  Our plan was to do the Wisconsin State meet next weekend but we had a change of plans.  We've done the Texas state meet, Arizona state meet, California CIF state meet, PIAA state meet (I actually helped with this one for many years).  Being retired offers me the opportunity to visit other state meets and get a sense for the competition and how they are run.

I'm always going to be a little bias to the PIAA!  I'll report later.

#2 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:23 AM

CO is an awesome state tournament.

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#3 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:14 PM

The CO state meet has an awesome vibe!  It's well attended and we had fun watching a couple of exciting matches. There's just too many story lines to keep up with.  I would argue the quality is only good enough for 2 classifications.  We'll be here for the finals tomorrow.

#4 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:53 AM

We had a great time in Colorado.  Time to get out before the snow comes!!!!!!!  

Downtown Denver and the surrounding areas are awesome.  I would come back and visit just for the atmosphere, restaurants, and sunshine.  We really loved it.  

The state championships were fun, there was a bit of excitement on some matches, and the atmosphere was everything you would want and expect from a state wrestling tournament.  I would seriously argue to any coach in Colorado in a tactful manner.  They need to drop down to 2 classifications, the depth of talent is just not there to justify all of their classifications. On the flip side if they did that, the Pepsi Center would be more of a ghost town.  I would suggest they go only 2 classifications and add the girls state championship at the same venue, at the same time.  This would make up for the lost fanbase of the other classifications.

Either way, we did get to see some exciting matches here and there.  I'm glad we attended and took part!!!

If you were there please comment.

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#5 Yellow_Medal

Yellow_Medal

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:03 AM

Was at the CO finals last night and it was great. Of interest was at least half a dozen wrestlers from several teams wearing shorts and compression shirts in their championship matches. Looked great and didn't impede the wrestling at all. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users