rcoates1

What is everyone’s wrestling experience?

I saw this thread over on HR and there are some pretty neat stories on their thread so I figured I’d start one over here.

I wrestled from age 6 until middle school when I had to choose whether to play travel basketball and baseball or wrestle. My best friend and both my brothers and dad all were wrestlers. Brother now a head coach. I always followed it and liked it better than basketball I was just better at shoot the rock than I was shooting a single. In college while playing baseball I followed our colleges wrestling team. Got to watch the older abdurakminov cb dollaway and Eric luedke. Funny story about abdurakminov, something happened with his housing before his sophomore year so coach Steve lampey got him set up in the janitors closet at the pool for the year. I now have two boys that wrestle and I help coach their club and just hope they stick with it so I do t have to watch basketball.

Frosh (103lbs): DNP (lost in the quarters and didn't show up for the consolation bracket)

Soph (112lbs): DNP (lost in the semis and didn't show up for the consolation bracket)

Junior (171lbs): State champion

Senior (HWT): 2nd place

Did you pull a McDonough with your silver medal?

I wrestled in high school, 112 lbs. The city where I'm from was never a huge wrestling hubbub, and I was never particularly good tbh. Never won my section (which was just my city LOL), so I never went to State as a wrestler. My last year, I injured my neck pretty bad in practice, and that took out half my season. The chiropractor said I had the neck of a 40 year old in a car accident, LOL.

Still, I fell in love with it and what it taught me. My coaches were fantastic guys and I still look up to them. I coached up until last year for my high school for about 4 years. I do boxing now abroad and love it, but damn do I miss rolling on the mats too.

Interesting to read some of these, including DF's historically accurate biography.

Frosh (103lbs): DNP (lost in the quarters and didn't show up for the consolation bracket)

Soph (112lbs): DNP (lost in the semis and didn't show up for the consolation bracket)

Junior (171lbs): State champion

Senior (HWT): 2nd place

DF, can you tell us about your diet plan heading into your junior and senior seasons?

I wrestled 7th and 8th grade. Not much else. Coached youth many years. all styles.

I’m not really sure why I have been on mat dot com for nearly 19 years. I’m kind of like ally sheedy on breakfast club. Didn’t need to be serving detention time but had nothing else to do on Saturday mornings—so I started posting .... for no particular reason.

Edited by xander

Despite my claim of not coming back I thought I would throw in my wrestling experience. Wrestled only freshman through senior year hs. I won a grand total of 3 varsity matches and the best I did was a JV league title. In the last 30 years I have been to about 20 state tournaments as a spectator. I should have chosen swimming!

Wrestling credentials? Well, okay.

Started in 6th grade.  Undefeated in 7th with one move, double underhook pancake...farm boy move.  Lost a couple in 8th grade to guys who knew technique.

Learned some technique.  Made varsity 98 as freshman...but after not making weight 3 times in a row, instead wrestled Jr. High matches at 105.  Undefeated.

Soph.  Defeated varsity 126 lber in tourney that allowed two at each wt., but couldn't beat him following week in wrestle off.  Stayed on JV all year, lost a couple (got pinned once) by guys who cheated and used more technique.

Jr.  Beat varsity 132 pounder (same guy as mentioned above at 126) in wrestle off at mid year.  Coach took me aside after practice and said, "He's a senior and a captain, so we're just gonna let him wrestle varsity."  He took 2nd in state and I went undefeated on JV, 24-0 with 21 pins (still pancaking everyone...got one in :06)

Sr.  Went to 167, where there was an undefeated defending 2-time state champ with a 97 match win streak (this was before Brian Shute, but pretty sure Shute was based on him...maybe the entire movie, only difference was I went up two weights to battle him.)   Got pinned in state finals.  Didn't cry.

Worked construction for 7 years, then entered an old timers tourney, lost in finals, 5-4 to a 3-time Dll all-american.  A juco coach recruited me, gave me my own dorm room and free food for semester.  Won national qualifier and then lost in round of twelve, med fft, separated shoulder.

Told coach I was done, but he wanted me back.  Said I could take photoshopping classes.  I said no.  He said he would get me a log cabin to stay in, out by the river, just house sit and tend horses.  I said no. 

One day I was walking in his office, just before summer break, and he came out and introduced me to a gorgeous 105 lb brunette who he said was interviewing for team trainer next season.  After she left I told coach if he hired her I'd come back....we shook on it.  He and I were about the same age.  I told him I also wanted the cabin and the chop classes.

We had a team meeting before school let out for the summer, and voted for next year's captains.  I got all the votes except one, and I told coach to find out who the one was, I wanted to know.

I was a good captain, I never went out to shake hands with the opposing captains, instead I sent out whichever of my team mates had the toughest opponent.  My shoulder healed up pretty good, and I started training early that year, determined to win a national title. 

Me and the trainer girl lived in the cabin out by the river.  My second bout that year was against a 3-time NAIA champ, and I was leading 13-12 with 20 seconds left, but I wasn't quite dead fit, and lost a step late in the match...he took me down with 5 sec left...a good tune-up match though.  Think I still have her pic around here somewhere...

39476333605_cb19d0b49c_o_d.jpg

Edited by Medicine_Man

Because you never wrestled your opinion matters more than anyone else. Wrestling could use more fans like you.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I was about to go out for wrestling when my friend who had a couple years experience told me I wouldn't like it because it's not like pro wrestling, I was under the assumption it was similar to PW.He told me about the weight classes and points and how the matches are 6 minutes, etc....I didn't quite grasp the points thing and I seriously said to him "well I'll just lie about my weight(was a tub of goo back then) and 6 minutes is nothing,..and then i asked him sincerely how many points are camel clutches and elbow smashes(he had already informed me that body slams were a no-no), he grew annoyed and showed me some of the stuff they do in practice...hated all of it.

Then had to do wrestling in gym class for a few weeks and gained an appreciation for it. A year later, wanting to lose some weight I  asked my buddy what a typical workout in practice was like and i modified what he told me and did a workout after school everyday, dieted and lost about 50 pounds in my jr of high school...and while doing all that everyday I imagined it  probably wasn't 1/10th as hard as a wrestling practice, so I gained further respect. I was always obsessed with stats since i was 6 or 7, memorized the back of baseball/football cards. At some point I lost interest in those  sports and  I've been just a fan or Wrestling and enjoy looking at stats, brackets etc....nerd stuff.

Edited by VND

Started at 5 and won my first tournament then a lot more in my life. I have a big box of medals and ribbons. Never look at them anymore. 

Here's what matters - high school on. 

98 - School district rules prevented me from being a starter even though I was the best wrestler at 98 and 105. Freshmen could not take the place of a Senior on a varsity roster. 112 guy was much bigger and better. 3X state champ. I could hang but not beat him. The coach made sure to work with the parents of the 98 and 105 so I could get enough varsity team points to get a letter. Some consolation prize that was. Still sore about that season.   

105 - Cut 28 pounds to make this weight. Was the worst year of my life. The roof of my mouth peeled and was never the same again. Visine was my best friend.    

2 years 118 and 2 years 126. 

Lots of weight cutting, most years around 20 pounds. Hundreds of miles of open road running in crappy shoes. My hips feel every one of those miles. 

I never tell my specific results for personal reasons.  

4 years high school coach 15-ish as a zebra. Lots of years as a youth coach in my kid's clubs.

Now I'm just an aging wrestling junkie limping slightly and shifting my weight from side to side when I stand.   

2 years 118 and 2 years 126. 

Lots of weight cutting, most years around 20 pounds. Hundreds of miles of open road running in crappy shoes. My hips feel every one of those miles. 

Lots of weight cutting, 20 pounds?  That's cute.

Wrestled from 2nd grade to senior year. Got burnt out somewhere between 4th and 6th grade and just practiced until Jr High. Started loving it again Freshman yr. Took a year off after HS then wrestled JUCO for a year - couldn't handle school and wrestling at that level, which stinks but I'm glad I gave it a shot, got rid of any "what if?" thoughts in my head. 

I'm a HS assistant coach now. I like it a lot. Love working with kids and giving back to the community and still being "competitive" in some aspect. Get to drill and go live as much as I want/see fit, which is fun. 

If it weren't for wrestling I wouldn't have found my path/calling in life, I owe a lot to the sport and the people that I met because of it. 

Edited by iGranby