rcoates1

What is everyone’s wrestling experience?

I was extremely fortunate to have a legendary coach's club in my hometown when i started wrestling in 7th grade. I even had the greatest women wrestler in the US at the time, and many all-americans and future D1 guys as training partners from the jump. Basically got my freaking butt kicked by everyone on my own H.S. team while being juggled around the real studs in the lineup my first couple years. Came a breathe away from a Cadet greco title, and was part of some truly amazing NYS teams with future D1 champs and even a future UFC phenom. Knocked off a Sr. nationals AA in my first round at States, but blew my knee out in the process and tried in vain to wrestle through it but lost in the semis and did the semi slide by to 6th.

Went to wrestle at Boston University because they were one of the few schools who had an accelerated physical therapy program and a wrestling team, and a couple of our club's guys and my high school partner were there already. Had some solid seasons at 141, but bumped up to 157 when school got too brutal with the cut. Also, my close friend was a defending conference champ at 149. Beat a bunch of AAs along the way, and placed at University nationals/ world team trials in greco a couple times, but couldn't ever get through a whole season healthy and ended up blowing out my ankle as a senior. Not sure if I would chose college wrestling again, to be honest; the physical and psychological toll it extracts is really hard to put into words. That said, I'm truly grateful for all the gifts wrestling has given me and wouldn't trade them for less hip pain, except on really damp days.

Thought about pursuing Greco post college over at Ivan Ivanov's training center in Idaho, or head out to the OTC, but decided it was too brutal of a lifestyle for how much I had paid for my education. Coached a couple of years at a private school with our own freestyle and greco club, which was very successful and fun, before starting my career. Recently, I've helped my good friend found a club in upstate NY, named after his college roommate, the late Jake Curby. Mostly work with rehabbing local guys who have been burnt out by wrestling and trying to foster a healthier approach to the sport. I avoid "youth" wrestling and weight cutting like the plague that they are.

What part of upstate are you from?

Wrestled in high school as a way to stay in shape for football. Was a backup on a very good team with several state place-winners. I did win the only tournament I ever entered (just a j.v. tourney as a sophomore).

Never lost interest in the sport, though. When you know firsthand how grueling it is, the high-level matches are especially captivating. Can't even imagine being that good.

...elementary school did not offer wrestling- played 7-8th football-- wrestling and CC in high school-very average- League/Sectional placer-

Education major in college, walked on D1 program, to make me a better Coach. Earned letter senior year, earned Coaches Award, got to wrestle in the Conference tournament ( was 2nd man at 177, 167 had an injury week before Conference tourney- Coach said cut to 67 and your in). Coached year 'round-(greatly enjoyed coaching greco/free at various regional tourneys and in Fargo), went to clinic's to learn, got ref's license to coach better.  Retired after 30+ years... still fascinated by the effort and technique required. The self discipline created by the "reality check"- - - it's YOU alone competing, YOU making your weight, YOU getting prepared, YOU winning/losing..... a virtual playbook to live by...

Finished second in everything- states, southeast states tourney, etc. it’s all Second, second, Second, Second, Second, well you get the idea.

At college level, the wrestling career took Second to the life as the injuries ruined it.

It’s all seconds, man. I’m bit little cracked nut. SECOND!!!

Edited by Buckeyebison

Started wrestling in the family living room when I was 5 years old.  My dad would come home from work with a bag of chocolates and have me and my brother go at it. Every time one of us scored a takedown he would go ahead and pull a chocolate out and put it in our specific pile.  Those are some really great memories, but I didn't start wrestling competitively until 5th grade. I wrestled in every local usaw tourney there was that year, and finished 4th nearly every week.  In 7th grade, I got the crap beat out of me a few times and was at the point where it was time to quit or really commit myself. That summer my dad bought us a wrestling mat, which we kept in our living room (God bless my sweet mom-we put so many holes in those walls) and he would also help with our chores so my brother and I would have time to do extra practices.   In high school my brother and I continued to work hard and became the 2nd and 3rd 4x state placers in our high school's history. I managed to set the record for most wins in a career.  I finished 3,1,2,3 while my brother went 6,1,2,2.  Neither of us went on to wrestle collegiately as life had other plans for us both.  Several of our high school training partners/competitors went on to wrestle for various D1 schools.  

Wrestling has always been a part of my life and will be the only sport I ever care to follow. 

Started wrestling when I was 4. Good not great through high school. Always ranked, but fell short of expectations. A pretty significant health issue ended my college carreer. As a wrestler, the sport did a lot more for me than I ever did for it. I ended up coaching along some really great coaches and kids in high school. Some of those kids got to a pretty high level. Then I coached some smaller college wrestling. I don't know if anyone would say I was the best coach, but I know my passion for the sport is infectious. I have been away from wrestling for awhile, but am still a big fan.

Edited by russelscout

Started wrestling in 9th grade and was a District champ my senior year but became a Region chump the following weekend.  Wrestled all of 2 weeks my first year at a D3 school then moved on to another sport.  The work ethic, mental toughness, discipline, focus and camaraderie learned from wrestling built a foundation for life in everything I aspired to do.  Instilled these attributes/traits in my oldest son who became his high school's first career 100 bout winner.  He wrestled 1 year of D1 before HEW, moving to his passion and is now a successful musician.  Wrestling has readied him too.  I became very successful in that other "sport" winning numerous national and world championships enabling me to travel all over the world, meeting different people, learning different cultures.  Although I was a top-notch conditioned athlete in my prime I truly miss the fitness level that was (can only be?) achieved via wrestling. 

Always a fan - stumbled on this board 14 years ago.

Started wrestling in 9th grade and was a District champ my senior year but became a Region chump the following weekend.  Wrestled all of 2 weeks my first year at a D3 school then moved on to another sport.  The work ethic, mental toughness, discipline, focus and camaraderie learned from wrestling built a foundation for life in everything I aspired to do.  Instilled these attributes/traits in my oldest son who became his high school's first career 100 bout winner.  He wrestled 1 year of D1 before HEW, moving to his passion and is now a successful musician.  Wrestling has readied him too.  I became very successful in that other "sport" winning numerous national and world championships enabling me to travel all over the world, meeting different people, learning different cultures.  Although I was a top-notch conditioned athlete in my prime I truly miss the fitness level that was (can only be?) achieved via wrestling. 

And one thing I can attest to here- VSNEJ could always throw!

Come on now, give it up, what was the other sport?