rcoates1

What is everyone’s wrestling experience?

Same here, but I do wish I had my old man grip strength back in the day

So true. We used to have some former college wrestlers from Clarion come to our practices in HS and it was just deflating. They seemed old to me, but were probably in their late 20's, early 30's. I just remember them grabbing a wrist and thinking, " I can't even move my arm".

Old man strength is real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad was a football and wrestling coach for a perennial power in both sports in our state, and because my mom worked the 3-11 shift as a nurse, I spent a lot of time from a very early age attending practices watching really good wrestlers (and footballers) grind (and wrestling the other coach’s kid in the corner). Entered and won my first “tournament” at age three and wrestled the other coach’s three-yr.-old son and a five-year-old. My dad stopped coaching me at age five when I got up off an opponent and yelled at him from the mat “I got this, stop yelling” during a match. I respect that he backed off, and it was because he did that I sought his advice and coaching later. 

Was “called up” to high school varsity in the 7th grade to wrestle 135 due to several injuries on the high school team. I won a couple matches but lost many more before being on the end of headlock that resulted in a spiral fracture to my humerus bone. It hurt and ended my season.

In eighth grade, I was called up again and beat a senior to wrestle 145. I won a few and lost many more before I pulled out the growth plate in my hip, it became infected, and I spent two weeks in the hospital nearly dying a couple times. It hurt and ended my season.

In high school, I started all four years at 160 and 171, placed in three state tournaments, and only had one more season-ending injury—a broken wrist that I wrestled with for a month before it was too painful (the bone actually ended up “dying,” had to be surgically replaced, and I was in a cast and/or brace for a year). That’s the year I want back, as I was favored to win the state, but if I’m honest, I also was pretty burned out, too.

In college, I tried to be Bo Jackson/Deion Sanders, playing both baseball and football, but it was too much after two years. I finished my football career as a two-time lower-division AA who had workouts with three NFL teams (also in school’s hall of fame). I credit my college football success to the many hours grinding in a hot, smelly wrestling room. I also credit wrestling with my ability to work hard to get good grades enough to get in and complete a Ph.D. at a top-rated program. Quite frankly, I wasn't more talented than many of my teammates or grad school colleagues, but there wasn't anyone who could outwork me...and that's because of wrestling. And, when my college cross-country running girlfriend told me that I couldn’t run a marathon (at 250 lbs.), I proved her wrong by completing one before she did. 

Wrestling is the only sport I continue to follow. I certainly love the action, but I love the wrestling community and mental toughness it gave me even more. At 40 and as someone who doesn’t coach, I wish there were more opportunities to wrestle (not competitively) other old guys for fitness and fun. Wrestling is the oldest and greatest sport!

Unbelievable men who happened to be my coaches have changed my life forever.

3X Oklahoma State Champ.  

Wrestled on scholly at OSU for 2 years.  (Left with neck injury and loved the program too much to stay on scholarship)

After rehab, found I could wrestle and went to CSU, now UCO.

Team mate with Jimmy Jackson, Darryl Monasmith, Doug Duell, John Azevedo, Charles Sheldon, Jim Clark, Mark Brown, Steve Barrett, Paul Martin, Billy Martin, LeeRoy Smith, and at CSU David and Ronnie James, John Finn, Johnnie Powell, Tod Osborn, Steve Dunlap Mike Peck, Ed Evey, man a hell of a lot of great guys.

I was an extreme disappointment in college.  The only explanation I have for myself is that I cut too much and did it the worst way possible, but it's all I got.  This beautiful sport has brought me to my knees on more than one occasion.  I'm retired after coaching for 29 years.  11 State Champs in Oklahoma and Colorado.  State Runner-up team in both states...it was my life, like some of you for many years.

Tenth year coaching, first year head HS coach in Indiana. I've been in a wrestling room for all 34 of my years growing up as a coach's kid, wrestler, and tenth year coach.

I've read these boards since high school and posted sporadically. 

I teach English, 9th and 12th, so I've been trying to work some DF anthologies into course material. I did an anti-anti-heroic high school run of 2, 2, 1, which was a lot more fun to experience, but not near of good as a read as my favorite poster DF. 

Edit: wrestled at Purdue. It looks like Ersland is doing some nice things this season. 

Edited by jcjcjc

My wrestling experience was limited to sophomore year in high school, gym class.  Our normal gym teacher was out with a bad back, so a science teacher filled in for our hour.  He had been a college wrestler, and even wrestled professionally against Dick the Bruiser and the Sheik.  Since that was about the only sport he knew, that is what he taught us.

I started following high school wrestling when my eldest son joined the team.

I started following college wrestling when teammates of my youngest son made college lineups :  Julia Salata, two-time national champion for King College; Corey Phillips and Anthony Abro, both team captains at Eastern Michigan; and Kevin Beazley and Alec Pantaleo, both all-americans at Michigan.

I started wrestling the last week of wrestling season in 1974 (4th grade) @ 84 pounds and wrestled my last match in 1994 at HWT. Placed at state a couple times. (blah blah blah blah).

Was 1994 an open tournament or were you 30 in college?

I begin wrestling in 7th grade...

Fresh (160) DNP...

Soph (171) 2nd at state

State Champ as Jr and Sr at 171...

I also won 3 SE Regional Championship and placed at a few HS National tournaments. I wrestled two years in college but had an underwhelming career. I did start for D1 conference championship team but had enough wrestling after that.

Won sectionals placed states

Started college D111

Disaster college career I will take responsibilty, tired sucking weight, hurt,politics, ECT.

Could compete but not winning at top level D1 AA always lost few pts.

Was not good enough for next level beat lot D1 guys but no AA guys. They where a bit better then,me.

Senior got hurt 2 weeks before end of year done, beat 1 kid in quarters of d1 that year he lost , lost 5-2 guy took 4th nationals d 1 , third michigan state tourney.( about level I was).

Frank C

Edited by cangemi

Won sectionals placed states

Started college D111

Disaster college career I will take responsibilty, tired sucking weight, hurt,politics, ECT.

Could compete but not winning at top level D1 AA always lost few pts.

Was not good enough for next level beat lot D1 guys but no AA guys. They where a bit better then,me.

Senior got hurt 2 weeks before end of year done, beat 1 kid in quarters of d1 that year he lost , lost 5-2 guy took 4th nationals d 1 , third michigan state tourney.( about level I was).

Frank C

Is D111, Division 3?

Yes d111 is D3

we where d3 nationals champs 2 years in a row , also back then could go d1 nationals.one of my teammates made Olympic team in Greco he was D1 AA as well.

We wrestled in Colgate open, michigan state open, dual Oklahoma, michigan U, Army. Syracuae and Buffalo every year.

I wrestle in summer so would wrestle D1 kids there as well.

The one year Syracuse was ranked 10 th we beat them in dual. They where not happy. That was unique we usually lost.

From that team 8 guys eventually

Qualified d1 nationals. 2 became AA.Was special D-3 team.

Big difference D 3 is not a grind like D1. We had share of weak dual and breaks.

Times have changed

Edited by cangemi

I did track, dance, and gymnastics growing up. Competed in track at Central Michigan University.

My dad was a wrestler through college and coached after, but I discovered my love for the sport on my own. I went to a meet my senior year of high school with a friend to watch her boyfriend. We both got really into it and declared afterwards that we would be official "Superfans". The two of us didn't miss a meet - home, away, tournament... we were there for everything in our homemade Superfan shirts, in tow with banners, streamers, signs, and treats for the boys. My love and appreciation for the sport continued to grow at CMU (Fire Up Chips!).

The relationship my dad and I had was incredibly special, and wrestling made it even more amazing. He passed away in 2012, and talking wrestling with him is one of the things I miss the most.

I did track, dance, and gymnastics growing up. Competed in track at Central Michigan University.

My dad was a wrestler through college and coached after, but I discovered my love for the sport on my own. I went to a meet my senior year of high school with a friend to watch her boyfriend. We both got really into it and declared afterwards that we would be official "Superfans". The two of us didn't miss a meet - home, away, tournament... we were there for everything in our homemade Superfan shirts, in tow with banners, streamers, signs, and treats for the boys. My love and appreciation for the sport continued to grow at CMU (Fire Up Chips!).

The relationship my dad and I had was incredibly special, and wrestling made it even more amazing. He passed away in 2012, and talking wrestling with him is one of the things I miss the most.

Thanks for sharing that story.

best post on this thread

I hope my son & daughter someday speaks of me in similar regard.