Sign in to follow this  
TheOhioState

Historic NCAA Finals losses that were shockers

Schultz Stopping Banach's run at four titles

Gotta admit, at the time I didn't consider this an upset, although MS had a lot of guts to make it a throwing contest with a bigger guy.  Both were champs the prior year, and Mark had already shown he had freakish athletic ability.  And contrary to stories told later on, Mark didn't bump up to challenge Banach; Oklahoma did it to strengthen their lineup.  With each Schultz brother moving up, Oklahoma finished 1-3-4-1-1 in the middle of the lineup.  I'd guess the fourth place in the middle there made the shift worth it, although they didn't have enough in the other weights to come close to the title.

For this topic, glad to see someone remembers ancient times, i.e. before the internet.  Go back a few more years, I'd say Darryl Burley over Mike Land has to rate in the top 10.  Land was a three time finalist riding a long winning streak while Burley was only nine months out of high school.  While he had 'potential', I'm told no one saw the kid getting that good that fast.

Whitmer over Durlacher kinda.  Durlacher had beaten him at Big10s and he had also taken 2 losses to Morgan and 1 to Moore, but beat them consecutively at the NCAAs.  

Moore by tech fall over Lang.  Not so much that Lang lost, just the way he lost, and that Moore hadn't even been an AA before.

The Moore-Lang one was pretty memorable - just total dominance.  Wasn't Lang undefeated along with the #1 seed?  The finals were broadcast live that year - ESPN? One of the others?  In any case, the announcers were droning, Lang is a prohibitive favorite, well he gave up the first takedown but he's just limbering up, well he's taking his time getting in his rhythm...  Meanwhile the score is something like 10-0, Moore is turning him at will and the match is nearly over before the clueless announcers realize, "hey, Lang might be in a little trouble here..."  Even a non-wrestling fan had to wonder, are those blathering fools in the same gym?

The Moore-Lang one was pretty memorable - just total dominance.  Wasn't Lang undefeated along with the #1 seed?  The finals were broadcast live that year - ESPN? One of the others?  In any case, the announcers were droning, Lang is a prohibitive favorite, well he gave up the first takedown but he's just limbering up, well he's taking his time getting in his rhythm...  Meanwhile the score is something like 10-0, Moore is turning him at will and the match is nearly over before the clueless announcers realize, "hey, Lang might be in a little trouble here..."  Even a non-wrestling fan had to wonder, are those blathering fools in the same gym?

It was similar when Metcalf wrestled Caldwell. The commentators kept saying Metcalf is going to turn in on any second now... any second now... any second now...  and then the match was over with Caldwell doing his acrobatics. 

For some reason I remember Lang getting the first TD too.  Maybe that was a different "tech fall in finals" match where the loser actually scored the first points.  Maybe Powell/Ott?

In 1978 Andy Daniels from Ohio U. went in unseeded at the lowest weight class which at the time was still 118lbs. He beats 6 seed Mike DeAugustino from Penn State, beats Gene Mills who is the 2 seed and a future NCAA Champ, then pins 3x D2 champ, 1x future NCAA Champ, and 2x Olympian John Azevedo in about 30 seconds in the final.

1978 118 Finals:  Unseeded Andy Daniels of Ohio U pins #1 John Azevedo of Cal State-Bakersfield in 30 seconds.

Unbelievable. He is so good he got us to post this result simultaneously. I did not see your post.

Edited by TBar1977

Now I have to post another one. I am posting this just to poke fun at a buddy from Lock Haven. The #1 seed at Hwt. in 1985 was Rick Petersen who had a lot of falls that year. He got knocked out of the winners bracket early and the guy that beat him from Michigan ends up facing Bill Hyman from Temple. Hyman won to become NCAA champ from Temple. Bill was inducted into the EIWA Hall of Fame a couple years ago with the same class as Troy Letters and Penn State's Howard Johnston. Troy Nickerson might have been that year as well. 

Sort of. He stopped him from his 3rd title. But doesn't change the main point.

Exactly; my statement wasn't about whether it was Ed's third or fourth at that time, but that he was heavily considered in the "first to four" discussion in that moment.

This was in the era that if your school won Hwt you had to pray they didn't drop the program.

'79 Fred Bohna UCLA- dropped

'80 Howard Harris- Ore St (dropped over the summer and restored)

'81 Lou Banach- Iowa (Do they still have a program?)

'82 Bruce Baumgartner- Ind St- dropped

'83 Lou Banach- Iowa

'84 Tab Thacker- NC State

'85 Bill Hyman- Temple - dropped

Wouldn't Caldwell's win be considered just an upset rather than a shocker? I think he was undefeated that season and had reached the quarterfinals the year before. He'd already beaten Metcalf that year. (I think Metcalf also beat Caldwell that same season but the match didn't count on their records. Never could find a video of that one.)

Wouldn't Caldwell's win be considered just an upset rather than a shocker? I think he was undefeated that season and had reached the quarterfinals the year before. He'd already beaten Metcalf that year. (I think Metcalf also beat Caldwell that same season but the match didn't count on their records. Never could find a video of that one.)

Metcalf won their all star match that year by tech fall. So while it didn’t officially count, it made Metcalf a more overwhelming favorite and caused Caldwell’s win the year before to be viewed as “fluke.” Obviously Caldwell was legit in hindsight but very few at the time probably gave him a shot other than a “fluke” pin as Metcalf had dominated so much that year.

It absolutely was a shocker. Caldwell's win over Metcalf was by pin via spladel. Many viewed that's as a fluke. Some even argued that while he was trapped in the move, he wasnt actually pinned. Metcalf then tech's Caldwell at the season opening all-star meet. During the first period after Caldwell scored his second takedown the announcers mention that it's almost no big deal because the previous years finals was similar as Bubbah Jenkins scored 2 takedowns. They kept eluding to the fact that Metcalf typically comes storming back in the 2nd and thrid period. Even in the thrid period they kept mentioning it. Caldwell seemed to become stronger as the match progressed. Caldwell winning was more than an upset. Very few people saw it coming.

In 1968, Coach Myron Roderick’s sophomore upstart, Dwayne Keller bested Rick Sanders in the NCAA finals and... Oklahoma State won the NCAA team title.

Rick was the tournament’s outstanding wrestler the year before and was the heavy favorite to repeat, until he was upset by Darrel Keller’s younger twin.

"Roderick didn't know there was two of us," Dwayne said. "I kept telling him I had a twin brother. He asked me, "Is he any good?''
The older by 12 minutes, Darrell whipped Washington's Larry Owings in the 1971 NCAA finals; the year after Owings defeated Dan Gable.

Edited by OKnowwhut