Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

If Zain Retherford redshirted...

That 2015 149 competition at the end was pretty good. Habat got that one really good shot to take the lead on Tsirtsis and then Jason took like 5 shots in the 3rd period and couldn't score. Houdashelt rode the piss out of Villalonga to win his semi. Then Houdashelt beat Habat on a quick counter in OT. 

Wowdashelt.

Obviously

If Zain redshirted his true freshman year instead of going right away, he really would’ve had a good shot to have been the next 4 time champ and undefeated.

Good point - he most certainly would have. And obviously, that's why Cael started him as a true freshman, i.e., to protect his status as the only 4x undefeated D-1 champ.  That legacy is one of the main reasons he's been able to land the top recruits and win all those NCAA team titles.  Just another example of the strategic thinking the Professor uses to stay at the top of the food train.  Brilliant!

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

Obviously

Good point - he most certainly would have. And obviously, that's why Cael started him as a true freshman, i.e., to protect his status as the only 4x undefeated D-1 champ.  That legacy is one of the main reasons he's been able to land the top recruits and win all those NCAA team titles.  Just another example of the strategic thinking the Professor uses to stay at the too of the food train.  Brilliant!

I tried to steer this thread in a different direction. I thought I had an effective strategy too. 

Sounds nice, But...

Probably not.

How many 4x NCAA champions are there at any level with perfect records? Only one at the top level.

How many 4x NCAA champions are there at the top level with perfect records  - when Freshmen were not allowed to compete?

Remember on these and other boards when Cael was going into his second season - the discussion about him being a 4 times started picking up. Really got hot and heavy by the end of that season and was nuts before the third tournament.

Illness, injury, off day, whatever. The odds against it were big.

Hardest was the problem with anointing him a 4 timer before he had won his Third. Banach/Schultz, anyone?

Maybe Retherford could have done it. We will never know. Yep, would have been nice to see. And no, Cael protecting his legacy/record doesn't even come into the discussion. He is all about what is best for the team, the title chase and the individual wrestlers. From what I can see he is comfortable and if one of his guys or someone else matches or somehow beats what he did he will show the same class Dan Gable did. Congratulate the wrestler on his performance and get back to work coaching.

Sounds nice, But...

Probably not.

How many 4x NCAA champions are there at any level with perfect records? Only one at the top level.

How many 4x NCAA champions are there at the top level with perfect records  - when Freshmen were not allowed to compete?

Remember on these and other boards when Cael was going into his second season - the discussion about him being a 4 times started picking up. Really got hot and heavy by the end of that season and was nuts before the third tournament.

Illness, injury, off day, whatever. The odds against it were big.

Hardest was the problem with anointing him a 4 timer before he had won his Third. Banach/Schultz, anyone?

Maybe Retherford could have done it. We will never know. Yep, would have been nice to see. And no, Cael protecting his legacy/record doesn't even come into the discussion. He is all about what is best for the team, the title chase and the individual wrestlers. From what I can see he is comfortable and if one of his guys or someone else matches or somehow beats what he did he will show the same class Dan Gable did. Congratulate the wrestler on his performance and get back to work coaching.

Agreed. Cael is considered by many as the greatest NCAA wrestler of all time. Currently he is trying to become the greatest NCAA Wrestling Coach of all time. Producing an undefeated 4timer will help add to his legacy, not take away from it.

Obviously

Good point - he most certainly would have. And obviously, that's why Cael started him as a true freshman, i.e., to protect his status as the only 4x undefeated D-1 champ.  That legacy is one of the main reasons he's been able to land the top recruits and win all those NCAA team titles.  Just another example of the strategic thinking the Professor uses to stay at the top of the food train.  Brilliant!

And why he pulled Mark Hall's redshirt

As Christian Pyles put in on FRL, "You're craaaazzzzyy if you think Zain couldn't beat Pico in folkstyle..."

Although I hate to agree, Pyles is in no way, an authority, an expert, or anything so please don't quote him. He is a gasbag like every pundit you see on TV who make 6 figures and are wrong at everything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Although I hate to agree, Pyles is in no way, an authority, an expert, or anything so please don't quote him. He is a gasbag like every pundit you see on TV who make 6 figures and are wrong at everything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If he says something I agree with I will quote it.

If he says something I disagree with I won't quote it.

So please don't tell me who to and who not to quote.

Pico has proven he is a better wrestler than Zain. He would beat him in any style.

It's been 3 years since Zain and Pico have wrestled.

Zain biggest accomplishments have all taken place AFTER they last wrestled.

Pico proved in 2015 he was a better wrestler.

2018 is a different year and nothing between the two has been proven.

It's been 3 years since Zain and Pico have wrestled.

Zain biggest accomplishments have all taken place AFTER they last wrestled.

Pico proved in 2015 he was a better wrestler.

2018 is a different year and nothing between the two has been proven.

Everyone had an opinion. Mine is that Pico is too physical for the Zain train.

Everyone had an opinion. Mine is that Pico is too physical for the Zain train.

That's perfectly fine. What I'm saying is Zain has made his biggest improvements and strides in the sport since wrestling Pico, so theres nothing definitive saying one way or the other. The two probably wouldn't be in the same colligate weight class either.