Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Cuban Wrestling Video from UWW

I enjoyed the video but kept imagining @nom clenching his fists and gnashing his teeth from seeing all the loose mat coverings at the Cuban National Training Center.

I hope in your version he was also making animal noises.

The Cubans are amazing.  Have been fortunate to count Alberto Rodriquez (2x World bronze, World Cup gold, wins over Monday and Schultz) as a friend for over 20 years now; he was my "assistant" for a year, and I put that word in quotation marks because he knows more about technique than I'll ever know.  An isolated island with little resource, Cuba produces some of the most amazing boxers, wrestlers, baseball players, and track athletes in the world.  One small story he told me:  as a kid, he wanted to be a wrestler like his older brother.  They had no mats to train on so he wrestled outside in the grass (he developed his "no knees" stand up style because of that, never shooting to his knees on purpose).  He wanted to train indoors with the national team but the coaches told him he was too skinny and would never be a wrestler.  So he would sneak in after practice was over and wrestle with some of the older guys who still wanted to drill or lose weight and he kept improving and begging the coaches to let him train indoors.  Finally, they had enough and told him if he wanted to train inside he'd have to beat the guy he would replace, who was older and a stud.  So they had a match and Alberto won and he was finally allowed to leave the grass and train indoors the rest of his career.

I enjoyed the video but kept imagining @nom clenching his fists and gnashing his teeth from seeing all the loose mat coverings at the Cuban National Training Center. 😂

You forgot about the hyperventilating. I found a safe space. I’ll be ok, I think. I hate those freakin mats!