Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

More Bad Wrestling News

To some extent I don't think there is an answer to this.  You can't tell guys who want to separate themselves and be elite not to practice year round.  And you can't convince a critical mass of kids who aren't interested in year round competition that they'll have fun even though they have no chance at being competitive against that first group of people no matter how hard they work over the course of a season.  

You can if you don;t overload the average HS kids with events where they go 0-2 or 1-2 and are done after 8 hours in a gym. I have come to the opinion that line bracketed double elimination tournaments in HS are generally bad for the sport. I think no more than 1 per year to get a feel of how they work plus the post season is more than enough. 

If you get them 40 matches per year only wrestling relatively short days a few times per year most average kids HS will stick around since they will get so many more matches against average kids. 

If you see the post I made earlier you'll get where I'm going.  

Can also blame it on pay to play.  Pretty darn expensive for mom and dad to dish out hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for extracurricular activities.  

Most districts cap it an amount per family or per athlete if they participate in multiple sports. Regardless of what this thread is about they do still exist. 

The scholastic stuff was WWWWAAAAYYYY less expensive than the off-season stuff. I've paid more for entrance fee and a coach's pass for a single event than the school fee were. Factor in hotel for 3-4 days, meals, travel, etc. and it really adds up. 

Quite honestly I'd prefer if school wrestling was governed as a 9 month sport with match limits (say 100), travel restrictions (only border states), occasional workouts with neighboring school districts, no unsanctioned private events in season, etc. It would be so much more friendly on the wallet even if I had to pay 3X the school fee.  

Edited by Zebra

To some extent I don't think there is an answer to this.  You can't tell guys who want to separate themselves and be elite not to practice year round.  And you can't convince a critical mass of kids who aren't interested in year round competition that they'll have fun even though they have no chance at being competitive against that first group of people no matter how hard they work over the course of a season.  

The problem is that these kids are choosing not to compete at all, when they would be competitive at a local level. The idea that only state championships matter needs to go away. There are plenty of kids that can and will be competitive at a local level. You don't need to be a year round wrestler to be a section/district champion. These are the kids that we are losing and need to get back in order to grow the sport.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

The problem is that these kids are choosing not to compete at all, when they would be competitive at a local level. The idea that only state championships matter needs to go away. There are plenty of kids that can and will be competitive at a local level. You don't need to be a year round wrestler to be a section/district champion. These are the kids that we are losing and need to get back in order to grow the sport.

The genie is already out of the bottle. Kids are not coming back to be a local town champ. 

Perhaps wrestling should not be categorized by weight classes. 

* Maybe kids could be split into groups by singlet types - 70's tight nylon, 90's low cut, shirt/short, Dave Shultz, etc.

* Gender and weight fluid...you wrestle whatever gender or weight you feel like that day. 

* Shoes - Anywhere from your $200 pair to your kid who couldn't afford shoes so he either wore socks or old basketball shoes. 

* SAT scores - in 100 point increments 

* FAFSA income reports- All the rich kids against each other - middle class - poor class. This would also work at the state level rather than the old boring numbers and letters - who needs 1A when you have Poor Class

*Facial hair - We all know we were intimated by the kid who had a mustache - this is now a form of psychological bullying - so put all your mustaches in one bracket - all the kind of mustaches in another - you know the hispanic or even dark haired kid who had the natural thin mustache - then the no mustache group. 

* Hottest mom - surprisingly this group would probably be the weakest. The mom's with  mullets carrying the 64 oz Pepsi refillable mug are the kids who are tough. Just post a picture of mom examples of Hot to Horrendous. Find the picture that best represents your mom and that's your bracket.