Sign in to follow this  
airmail

HS 98/103/106 to Collegiate HWT

John Llewellyn did it with success.   I'm sure it is done more than one realizes, but with limited success. 

Dalton Robertson of UNC won state in CO as a freshman at 106, then won his third state title at 182 as a senior.  He took some major lumps as a true freshman last year at 174, and is redshirting this year to bulk up to HWT. 

I only posted this topic so that in two or three years when he's contending for a national championship I can come back and reference this post....

John Llewellyn did it with success.   I'm sure it is done more than one realizes, but with limited success. 

Dalton Robertson of UNC won state in CO as a freshman at 106, then won his third state title at 182 as a senior.  He took some major lumps as a true freshman last year at 174, and is redshirting this year to bulk up to HWT. 

I only posted this topic so that in two or three years when he's contending for a national championship I can come back and reference this post....

David Taylor was a HS 103 and he did OK.

Zahied Valencia was a HS 106 and while he has yet to win a title I believe it is fair to say he's doing OK in college. 

David Taylor was a HS 103 and he did OK.

Zahied Valencia was a HS 106 and while he has yet to win a title I believe it is fair to say he's doing OK in college. 

I was mainly referencing the guys who wrestled in college at HWT who started out high school at the lightest class.  

Llewellyn wrestled 98 as a hs frosh, then beat Kurt Angle for the Nat. Title at HWT.  

Then I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about HS lightest weights getting big and being successful at the NCAA level in a general sense.

Most athletic guys that light at 14 don't gain 60-70 pounds. 30-ish sure but 60-70 is a ton, figuratively speaking of course.  

STP - Didn't Thomusseit wrestle 184/197 as an underclassman?

New York native, Pete Capone, went from 98 in hs to college heavy at Ohio State. In 8th or 9th grade Capone wrestled future Buckeye and teammate Ian Padock at 98 pounds at state. Ian ended up a college 133/141 while Pete was a 184/197/285 in Columbus. Pete's dad, Peter, was a 2x AA at Hofstra in the eighties at 167.  I think Pete wrestled 174 at Navy prep before transferring to Ohio State.

Edited by KSchlosser

STP - Didn't Thomusseit wrestle 184/197 as an underclassman?

I believe you are thinking of his younger brother Max.  

From the Pitt website about Zac- 

2012-13: Finished with a 29-4 record and earned All-America honors with a fifth place finish at heavyweight...won matches over Levi Cooper (Arizona State), Mike McClure (Michigan State), Jeremy Johnson (Ohio), Odie Delaney (Citadel) and Jarod Trice (Central Michigan) at the NCAA championships