Sign in to follow this  
Ogalthorpe Haywood

DeSanto’s Vision Quest

Great video ...

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6126148-austin-desantos-vision-quest

What's so interesting to me is that when DeSanto won he seemed to me to be a very good high school wrestler who was actually nowhere near Lee's level but who benefitted from Lee's torn ACL and lack of training. It never occurred to me that as a true freshman at 133 he would be a serious AA contender and long-shot title contender. 

Great video ...

What's so interesting to me is that when DeSanto won he seemed to me to be a very good high school wrestler who was actually nowhere near Lee's level but who benefitted from Lee's torn ACL and lack of training. It never occurred to me that as a true freshman at 133 he would be a serious AA contender and long-shot title contender. 

People seem to forget or don't realize that he was ranked 4th in the country BEFORE beating Spencer Lee and becoming a household name... 

Great video ...

http://www.pa-wrestling.com/hs/teams/exeter/athlete_stats.htm?id=29310

He was an elite high school wrestler before he beat Lee. 

Other than maybe conditioning, I really didn't see Lee's knee affect the way he wrestled.  He scored on an inside trip and almost scored on another attempt.  To go at the pace that DeSanto goes, its tough to keep up with.  Great piece and kudos to Drexel for keeping him home.

Other than maybe conditioning, I really didn't see Lee's knee affect the way he wrestled. He scored on an inside trip and almost scored on another attempt. To go at the pace that DeSanto goes, its tough to keep up with. Great piece and kudos to Drexel for keeping him home.

Not to be an apologist but Lee’s attack rate paled in comparison to what it was without the bum knee. Definitely impacted the outcome. I’d never seen Lee so tentative in HS. Huge props to Desanto for the win though. Not his fault Lee was injured, and what he attempted alone deserves special recognition, with or without the good outcome.

http://www.pa-wrestling.com/hs/teams/exeter/athlete_stats.htm?id=29310

He was an elite high school wrestler before he beat Lee.

Define elite. He was an excellent high school wrestler who had never even won a state title. A year earlier, he had been teched by Lee in the finals. I think most people would have agreed that he was "nowhere near Lee's level." And if the guy who was ranked fourth at his weight class was "elite," what word would you use to describe the guy who was #1 pound for pound in the country and thought to be one of the greatest high school wrestlers ever?

Define elite. He was an excellent high school wrestler who had never even won a state title. A year earlier, he had been teched by Lee in the finals. I think most people would have agreed that he was "nowhere near Lee's level." And if the guy who was ranked fourth at his weight class was "elite," what word would you use to describe the guy who was #1 pound for pound in the country and thought to be one of the greatest high school wrestlers ever?

You wouldn't consider a kid ranked 4th in the country at his weight class as elite? Man... tough critic! His junior year he lost in the state finals to Spencer Lee. Most other years he would have been a state champ.

If 4th in the country isn’t elite then I’d bet wrestlingnerd odds that you sucked.

you answered it yourself-I'd describe him (Lee) as one of the greatest HS wrestlers ever. 

Maybe there’s a better word but what I meant by elite was someone at the level of the handful of number one ranked guys who we think are capable of making a big impact out of the gate such as Mark Hall, Daton Fix, Gable Steveson, Yianni. Guys like that usually have international credentials and have won some of the big events like PowerAde or Super 32 etc.

Well let's be honest. 133 stinks this year.

What?

Are you referring to depth? Micic and Gross would be title contenders every year, Pletcher was close to AAing in a stacked 141 weight class where he was tiny as a true freshman, Mueller is excellent and likely 4 time AA, Kaid Brock is a crazy talent who would be in title contention most years...what are you talking about?

What?

Are you referring to depth? Micic and Gross would be title contenders every year, Pletcher was close to AAing in a stacked 141 weight class where he was tiny as a true freshman, Mueller is excellent and likely 4 time AA, Kaid Brock is a crazy talent who would be in title contention most years...what are you talking about?

You're biased because Sherman has a losing record