bob_meadows_167

Will Jimmy Lawson (PSU HWT) have impact?

I was watching Lawson's recent interview, and he was comparing himself to Telford & McMullen, his peers in HS.

Even if you take him at his word -- that he's in the same league as those guys -- both those guys had bumpy roads last year, even though both became All Americans.

McMullen, in particular, although really talented, was in tough, back and forth match after match during the season.

So I would expect the same for Lawson, best-case scenario.

^^^Looks like PSU will have three good hwts available this coming season - Jon Gingrich, Nick Ruggear and Jimmy Lawson. All three have three years of NCAA wrestling eligibility remaining to use in the next three years. I would think it might take Lawson some time to get back into wrestling condition, so would expect him to be markedly better second semester than early season. We shall see.

Mr. Brown as youins know there is a tournament the PSU "Train" host that could be, not only interesting, but help solidify what we see in March!!!

^^^Looks like PSU will have three good hwts available this coming season - Jon Gingrich, Nick Ruggear and Jimmy Lawson. All three have three years of NCAA wrestling eligibility remaining to use in the next three years. I would think it might take Lawson some time to get back into wrestling condition, so would expect him to be markedly better second semester than early season. We shall see.

I don't see Lawson having a season like McMullan/Telford. Even if his talent level was on par with theirs coming into college, MM and BT have been in Big 10 rooms for 2 years with 2 years of D1 experience under their belt. If Lawson winds up starting I think he could qualify and maybe win a match, but I don't expect him to be on their level.

I don't see Lawson having a season like McMullan/Telford. Even if his talent level was on par with theirs coming into college, MM and BT have been in Big 10 rooms for 2 years with 2 years of D1 experience under their belt. If Lawson winds up starting I think he could qualify and maybe win a match, but I don't expect him to be on their level.
Not knocking Jimmy Lawson But I have asked this :?: many Times while He was in HS {How many Ranked Wrestlers Did Jimmy Wrestle in HS} no one was ever able to answer that. I think the Highest Ranked Wrestler in the Wt when He won the Sr Nationals was Johnson from NY Ranked around 12th, that does not put U on Par with Wrestlers that Have Won IronMan, Beast & any other Tough tournaments they Entered & they entered them all {In & Out of Season} the smartest thing Jimmy could do is Keep a Low Profile & wait & see what happens before saying to much {JMHO}

I don't disagree, but didn't he really pound Billy Smith as well? I don't pay that much attention to heavies.
Could be wrong but didn't Billy Smith only Wrestle HWT His Sr Yr. I Hope Lawton has a Great Three Yrs But there are some in NJ who are talking like He will Be a Three time Champ, Lets wait & see if He can make the Line-Up first. NJ Die-hard Fans have a way of Over Rating there Wrestlers, I think Many got there Eyes Opened to D1 Wrestling when Goodall took over RU.

It's hard to speculate on how a kid will do but I do think he seems to have a nice upside. I don't think his high school was a wrestling powerhouse by any means and all he really did was beat everyone he wrestled. Gwiz had a nice year this year as a freshman and by all accounts, I think Lawson is probably a similar type recruit coming out of high school. I do agree he will have to work out the kinks but he is in the right room to do that and he is wrestling heavyweight!

I don't disagree, but didn't he really pound Billy Smith as well? I don't pay that much attention to heavies.
Could be wrong but didn't Billy Smith only Wrestle HWT His Sr Yr. I Hope Lawton has a Great Three Yrs But there are some in NJ who are talking like He will Be a Three time Champ, Lets wait & see if He can make the Line-Up first. NJ Die-hard Fans have a way of Over Rating there Wrestlers, I think Many got there Eyes Opened to D1 Wrestling when Goodall took over RU.

Yeah, JR Billy Smith wrestled 215 Lawson's senior year. I agree with you that NJ fans should not believe Jimmy will just ride roughshod over D1 guys like he did his HS senior year. Saw him wrestle a lot of matches his last year including at VA beach and I never saw a more athletic heavy in HS - he reminded me of Ryan Flores.

It's hard to speculate on how a kid will do but I do think he seems to have a nice upside. I don't think his high school was a wrestling powerhouse by any means and all he really did was beat everyone he wrestled. Gwiz had a nice year this year as a freshman and by all accounts, I think Lawson is probably a similar type recruit coming out of high school. I do agree he will have to work out the kinks but he is in the right room to do that and he is wrestling heavyweight!
I Agree PR, could not be in a Better Room But IMO HWT will be one of the Toughest Wts to Place at next yr. It will be Loaded

Not knocking Jimmy Lawson But I have asked this :?: many Times while He was in HS {How many Ranked Wrestlers Did Jimmy Wrestle in HS} no one was ever able to answer that. I think the Highest Ranked Wrestler in the Wt when He won the Sr Nationals was Johnson from NY Ranked around 12th, that does not put U on Par with Wrestlers that Have Won IronMan, Beast & any other Tough tournaments they Entered & they entered them all {In & Out of Season} the smartest thing Jimmy could do is Keep a Low Profile & wait & see what happens before saying to much {JMHO}

Moore was the NYer he beat. However, he wrestled for Johnson City, so you definitely deserve partial credit :-).

As far as the comparison to GWiz, it is important to remember that in addition to his NHSCA National title, Nick also had multiple bronze medal efforts in Fargo on the junior level. Therefore, taking nothing away from Lawson, but I think Gwiz may have been a bit more credentialed nationally entering the collegiate scene.

Returning at HWT next yr

#1 Tony Nelson, Jr

#3 Mike McMullan, So

#5 Bobby Telford, So

#7 Jermery Johnson {no idea}

#8 Nick Gwia, So

R12 Levi Cooper, Sr

& then Throw Howard Tice & Dom Bradley in there & U have One Hell of Tough WT

I really hate to be negative and I don't know a ton about him but 'my hunch' is he will be closer to Tom Curl than say Big Bruce at NCAA level.

note-way back when as an amateur NFL prospect evaluater I thought Earl Campbell would be a flop in the NFL.

Or is this going to be a rude awakening for the NFL hopeful?
NFL Hopeful? :roll: I guess my 10 year old nephew is a NFL hopeful too? I mean, he thinks it would be cool to play in the NFL.

Upside is he may be more excited about wrestling after being away/ still be in one piece. Cael must have rolled with him to feel him out before giving him the full-ride he's advertising on the internet.

It is a violation for D1 coaches to workout with recruits, they can't even watch them workout while on campus during their visit.

When talking about heavyweight next year, don't forget the Russian at Okie St who manhandled national champion Tony Nelson. If healthy and can stay healthy, this weight could be his. Either way, this seasons heavyweight could be the toughest heavyweight class we've seen in a very long time. Who woulda thought, heavyweight as the deepest weight in the country!

As for Lawson, keep in mind we are talking about heavyweight. Big, fast, strong, athletic kid can do well at that weight. Throw in great upper weight coaches and workout partners and I'd say aching is possible. Depending on his work ethic or whatever else, plus given the nature of the weight class, nothing would surprise me, I could see 2 and screw at NCAA 's or AA finish, or something in between.

I'm a bit skeptical of Lawson's impact. For starters he's not real tall is he? I'm not saying you have to be real tall but it can be a disadvantage. Also what I remember of Lawson was that he dominated with legs and a power half. I'm not sure how effective that will be at the next level. The plus is the room he is in compared to Manchester HS. Obviously a world apart. That might turn a possibility into a reality. I hope he finds great success but I wouldn't bet on it at this point.

On 7/25/2012 at 12:21 PM, bob_meadows_167 said:

Or is this going to be a rude awakening for the NFL hopeful?

I'd like to put this one to bed. Jimmy "Legs" Lawson had no impact at PSU or on the college wrestling scene. Carry on. I know we've all been wondering.