Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Gable Steveson says he's trying out for seniors

I would like to see Gable throw his hat in the ring. If he makes it great, if he doesn't, I hope he can get back on the Junior Team, and bring home another Gold. I haven't seen Gable training with the Seniors at any of these camps, so I have no clue how he fares, against the likes of Gwiz, Bradley, and the other top seniors. But I do have to believe that when Gable does compete at the Senior WTT's, he will probably surprise us on how well he performs. However, when it comes to Gwiz, I think Gwiz is just a little bigger than Gable, and possibly a little stronger. Additionally Gwiz is the current reigning Bronze Medalist, so this will be long, but not insurmountable odds for Gable.

I completely agree with treep that the Kerkviler match made him lookerely mortal. It lowers my confidence a bit. That being said, K was the 100kg cadet world champ and is destroyer of worlds at 220 in MN. And Gable was never in danger in the match. Yes K got in on his legs many times but I wasn’t worried he’d convert. And there was Gable’s headgear malfunction.

I saw something on Flo that Gable was training with the seniors and losing to Gwiz but it seems not by much.

He's a rare talent, for sure... But if the match with Kerkvliet is an indication of where he is at, Seniors may pose some difficulties.

Junior World Championships is much, much more of an indication to senior success than one high school dual meet. That's not to say he's a sure thing in '18, just speaking to indications.

The word out of the team USA camp when the junior and senior teams were training together was that Gable was getting beat up a little bit by Snyder, but was able to keep it close with Gwiz in live goes.  I remember hearing something like 4-2 and 3-1 as scores. Obviously I'd caveat that those are rumors, and we don't have video evidence, but it seems believable especially when you listen to Steveson's interview at the time where he hints at those results being the case, but doesn't say anything explicitly.  

1. He should go seniors. Why try and win two Jr Worlds. Snyder should have listened to his dad and not tried for another Jr title. I do agree he would not have beat Varner in 14 though. Gable has a shot. He is the future and may even have a shot at Cael's record in college.

1. He should go seniors. Why try and win two Jr Worlds. Snyder should have listened to his dad and not tried for another Jr title. I do agree he would not have beat Varner in 14 though. Gable has a shot. He is the future and may even have a shot at Cael's record in college.

yeah Snyder really screwed up 

gable may have the best feet in wrestling...

not the best heavy feet... the best feet period...

when he makes the decision to rule USA wrestling all others will be also rans...

hopefully he wont be ruined by learning how not to wrestle in folk...