Sign in to follow this  
Rocep

All-time Favorite Wrestler

Got into a heated argument with a friend about favorite wrestler. I say Mark Ironside, he says DT. He says every Iowa wrestler from '78-'97 might as well be Ironside. Says DT was an artist. I think a guy like Ironside is the essence of the sport. Not flashy, just relentless in conditioning and attacks. Shows what doing the basics well gets you. I think they both dismantled opponents, DT like a surgeon and Ironside like a wrecking ball.

My favorite from those Iowa years was McIlravy. I would argue that he was more diverse in attacks than most of his time. Very fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite from those Iowa years was McIlravy. I would argue that he was more diverse in attacks than most of his time. Very fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I practiced forever so I could boot scoot like Lincoln Mcilravy.

Edited by Rocep

The guy was unbelievably creative at a time when wrestling could be more boring than entertaining.

check out the scores of NCAA finals matches around that time.

And I'll throw out ........... Larry Owings

Edited by AKHUNTER

guy looked like he was 12 years old but was a killer on the mat, 4 x AA 1 x champ, great grades and became a doctor....Jim Martin

(if I have to pick one, right this second....)

Edited by KTG119

Well I never really had a true favorite wrestler, but because of the likes of Dan Gable, Wayne Wells, the Peterson Bros., they were the guys that got me to follow International Wrestling. Over the decades since, we have been blessed by so many greats, such as Dave Schultz, Andre Metzger, Leeroy Kemp, Bruce Baumgartner, Lincoln Mcllravy, Cary Kolat, both Brands Bros., John Smith, Cael Sanderson, Jake Varner, Jordan Burroughs, and now the SnyderMan. (I know I missed quite a few).

But I have to say I don't ever remember a time since I started following wrestling that I have felt that we have such an absolute wealth of talent in our various levels Men's and Women's Freestyle programs. I do think we are getting closer with Greco. We seem to be doing well in the Cadet and Junior levels, and hopefully that translates to success on the Senior level.

I like and want all our wrestlers to succeed, so it makes me feel bad that guys like Brent Metcalf, or Chris Bono, could never get over the hump on the World stage.