NJwrestlingguy

New Jersey 120lb bracket is amazing

Top 4 seeds in 32 man bracket

#1 seed Joe Manchio..41-0...141-4 in career..2016 NJ State Champ

#2 seed Antonio Mininno..36-0...2017 State Champ.. FloNationals Champ

#3 seed Robert Howard..33-1..Currently ranked #1 in USA by Flo

#4 seed Mitchell Polito..35-0..Lehigh recruit..#19 Flo Ranking

Edited by NJwrestlingguy

Mirage. That weight always seems loaded because it’s guys who build up their credentuals beating 9th graders. And there is little depth so they have gaudy records. You will see guys 141-4 at 170 or 182 once a generation.

Mirage. That weight always seems loaded because it’s guys who build up their credentuals beating 9th graders. And there is little depth so they have gaudy records. You will see guys 141-4 at 170 or 182 once a generation.

There are 20 upperclassmen, and one freshman, in the bracket. Clearly you know your stuff.

Oh, and if you think wrestling 170 compares to wrestling 120 in his, you know less than I originally thought.

This from a guy who was a middleweight in HS and college.

I didn’t say they were underclassman. I set they built their career credentials beating younger guys early in the career. The 106 freshman often winds up as a 120 junior senior. It’s not the same as guys like Griffin and O,Malley who have been wrestling men their whole lives while these kids were wrestling boys (and actually some girls )

I didn’t say they were underclassman. I set they built their career credentials beating younger guys early in the career. The 106 freshman often winds up as a 120 junior senior. It’s not the same as guys like Griffin and O,Malley who have been wrestling men their whole lives while these kids were wrestling boys (and actually some girls )

I agree with part, and vehemently denies shares with part.

Absolutely easier than wrack up big career numbers starting out down low. No doubt.

That said, there are far more true wrestlers at 120 than 170-182. From a depth perspective, it’s not remotely close.

The bigger kids have more options (football, baseball, etc) than a 110-130lbs kid.

Wow, what a great idea.  Is this what really came into your mind?

"Today, I have a great idea.... I want to go on a wrestling website and publicly try to put down a kid who has a record of 141-4... oh, yeah, and he is wrestling in NJ!!!"

What a class act.  Just wondering, what was your amazing record? 

Personally, I don't care who he has beaten 141 times.... I wouldn't care if it was in Hawaii or Rhode Island... but you know what, most of those wins came against people from NJ and PA... you know, the real slacker states for wrestling in the US. 

I didn’t put anyone down. I sImply stated that it is easier to build up more impressive win totals if you start at 106 as a freshman as opposed to 152 as a freshman. It’s pretty obvious.

la-di-da Joey boy.

You are right... I guess "And there is little depth so they have gaudy records." is a wonderful compliment. Good job Joey.  What could they do to ever earn your respect, move up 5 weights?

How about this novel idea little Joey... if you don't have anything good to say about any kid, let alone a kid with over a 95% winning percentage... well I don't know, why not just keep your amazing insights to your self.

What a concept.

I am sure no person will every say, "Hey, I wonder what little Joey from Jersey has to say while critiquing amazingly successful high school kids... yeah, those kids who were and are 1000 X's more successful than he was..."

la-di-da

I know you are trolling but look at a guy like Quinn Kinner. He was 106 as a freshman but could only manage a 5th place finish at states that year. As a Junior and Senior he won back to back titles at 132 and 138, doing so at 138 this year in dominating fashion.

Edited by 1032004

How about the 9th seed Cardenas walking thru the 195 lb bracket!  What's his deal, anyone know?  Also where is Janson going?

I can tell you what's going on. Cardenas was their 182 most of the year and the football standout Josh McKenzie and he switched right before the postseason. I'm pretty sure Cardenas would have been the number one seed at 182 and certainly would have been at 195 had he wrestled the whole season there. He's really good. My son wrestled him at the semi-finals of the Doc Buchanan and lost to him by pin @ 182. I must admit Connor was hurt at the time but, before some guy on here has kittens or his head explodes, he wouldn't have beaten him even if he was healthy. He was 170 a year ago so he looks to be growing again. Really good wrestler with a great cheap tilt for a big man

The 120 bracket was nails and that match between Howard and Minnino was something special.

The finals were decent but Saturday night’s blood round and semis is the best night of NJ wrestling.

ConnorsDad,

You’re right about Cardenas and that tilt. Killed with it the entire tournament. Many of the Bergen kids did as well.

Didn’t realize he was a 182 most of the season. Certainly didn’t look undersized. Question is where is he from? He wasn’t at Bergen last year. I’m pretty sure he’s from another state. New York perhaps?

The 120 bracket was nails and that match between Howard and Minnino was something special.

The finals were decent but Saturday night’s blood round and semis is the best night of NJ wrestling.

ConnorsDad,

You’re right about Cardenas and that tilt. Killed with it the entire tournament. Many of the Bergen kids did as well.

Didn’t realize he was a 182 most of the season. Certainly didn’t look undersized. Question is where is he from? He wasn’t at Bergen last year. I’m pretty sure he’s from another state. New York perhaps?

He went to a different school in New Jersey last year but the school closed and that's why he's now at Bergen.

Also Quinn kinner is gonna have a great career at tOSU. Kid is a killer from top and is solid in all 3 positions. If I was a college coach and had to pick one kid from the tournament, QK is my guy.

Yeah I didn’t realize he was going to tOSU at first. Apparently flipped from NC State after it seems his brother left the team for some reason. Maybe it is selective memory but I feel like NJ guys don’t often pan out when they go to NC State.

Edited by 1032004

He went to a different school in New Jersey last year but the school closed and that's why he's now at Bergen.

Are you sure about that? I looked up his prestige points from last year (points you accumulate from previous season advancement) and he had zero points which indicates that he didn’t wrestle in NJ last year or didn’t wrestle varsity. Hard to imagine that’s the case and he wasn’t on Bergen’s roster last year.

Hey did you guys see the match where Glory almost got pinned by the 22 seed.?  That riled the crowd up.  Not sure I like Glory's attitude after the win.  I know he's going to Princeton but didn't like the act.  Also, at first I thought that Minnino and Howard should've been in separate brackets but Minninno did finish 4th so I guess its about right.

Hey did you guys see the match where Glory almost got pinned by the 22 seed.? That riled the crowd up. Not sure I like Glory's attitude after the win. I know he's going to Princeton but didn't like the act. Also, at first I thought that Minnino and Howard should've been in separate brackets but Minninno did finish 4th so I guess its about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my first time posting and I’m not certain I have registered correctly. If so, I wanted to first thank you for your terrific discussions I have followed for quite some time now. For now I would just like to add on this thread that Cardenas went to school last year at Queen of Peace HS., which closed over the summer. That HS is adjacent to Lyndhurst, where Donnie Pritzlaff grew up. I believe Cardenas lives in Kearney, NJ. Also, no one mentioned Colaiocco at 119 from Blair. Ranked number 1 most of the year and mentioned now because he is from N J. Had he not chosen to go to Blair, he too would be in this monster class! Oh man.