Sign in to follow this  
takedownartist

Mark Hall Trend

Seems like more than a few people think Hall looks under sized lfor his weight class. Of course that was proven not to matter.Mark is the first recent NCAA champ not to look huge for given weight.

Who else currently competing in college wrestling seems small for their weight or does not seem to believe in excessive weight cuts?

Is this more common now in college or at least starting to be the case in HS?

If you have a HS kid that wrestles, how much are you okay with them cutting to make weight.

I have seen table workers double check they have the right kids because noticeable size difference at same weight among MS and HS kid tournaments.

I imagine some kids don’t cut any weight and still compete well. Much better than the dark ages of weight cutting of 80’s and 90’s.

Ironically, the medium size HS heavyweights may end up cutting some of the most weight to make 197 for college.

Edited by takedownartist

It’s in the best interest of the team for Mark to wrestle 174. This isn’t middle school where the athlete/dad gets to decide what weight you wrestle.

And what weight would you suggest he wrestle? National Champs in the weights up and down, I think he’s holding his own lol. Plus he’s said he doesn’t like the cut to 74 kg and that is around the 165 weight class

There is no true answer. It is different for everyone. Some guys are so good and naturally lean enough that cutting isn't necessary. Some guys need to cut to get to their optimum potential even if they are only at 90% at a weight class. 90% at 157 may be more productive than 100 at 165.

Finally, some guys have to cut hard to have a chance to make the line up. Sit the bench or cut hard and wrestle varsity, which one do you think most would choose?

Edited by MSU158

And what weight would you suggest he wrestle? National Champs in the weights up and down, I think he’s holding his own lol. Plus he’s said he doesn’t like the cut to 74 kg and that is around the 165 weight class

Yes 174. Thank you for proving my point.

For high school kids that want to do well it the state tournament I began suggesting the following about 5 years ago and it has worked very well.  Lift 4 days per week during the off season and 3 days per week during the season on a special program that we developed with the help of an NFL strength coach.  Eat very healthy during the season but during the offseason eat mostly what you enjoy.  After the high school season practice begins weigh yourself 3X per day (Morning before you eat, before practice and after practice) and begin to eat HEALTHY DIET.  Lower your carbs, no refined sugars and no soda.  After 3-4 weeks of hard practice and a healthy diet you may cut 5-10 pounds. What I have observed is that it is a long season and high school kids that cut large amounts of weight do very well at the beginning of the season but they seem to fade the last two or three weeks of the season.  With college kids that cut large amounts of weight I have noticed they have trouble staying healthy and they fight injuries and sickness during the season unless they take some time off during the season.  The college season is such a grind that I like to see the kids enter the conference tournament with having competed in about 25 matches.  If I were a college coach I would probably give each starter 2 weeks off sometime during the season where they were not allowed in the wrestling room.  They would lift and take some long runs but when they return the mind would be fresh.

... Mark is the first recent NCAA champ not to look huge for given weight.

Umm, Kyle Snyder?

For what it’s worth... when my dad was in HS, he cut hard to make 127 as a Soph. Decided to not cut as a JR and went at 145. When he weighed in for the day of his PA state final, the weigh master told him he was 1/2 pound overweight. He had to remind the weigh master that he was not a 138 pounder, but was at 145. Dad capped an undefeated JR season by winning a PA state and not cutting a pound all season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Umm, Kyle Snyder?

For what it’s worth... when my dad was in HS, he cut hard to make 127 as a Soph. Decided to not cut as a JR and went at 145. When he weighed in for the day of his PA state final, the weigh master told him he was 1/2 pound overweight. He had to remind the weigh master that he was not a 138 pounder, but was at 145. Dad capped an undefeated JR season by winning a PA state and not cutting a pound all season.

I like your Dad...stud

Umm, Kyle Snyder?

Love the story and all, but that is a product of being that good vs. not cutting weight.  Wouldn't you think he could have wrestled 138 with relative ease and still done as well?

Love the story and all, but that is a product of being that good vs. not cutting weight. Wouldn't you think he could have wrestled 138 with relative ease and still done as well?

Keep in mind that 138 weight in March was 142.

Jan: +2

Feb: +1

Mar: +1

His natural weight class at the start of the season was 145, and he stayed there all year.  By the way, he did win with relative ease.  His bout scores were 12-6 and 5-0.

http://live.pa-wrestling.com/pdfs/1964_PIAA_State_results.pdf

Edited by lu_alum

Umm, Kyle Snyder?

What did Dad do his senior year? Also, he cut hard to make 127, but walked around at 138.5 a year later. He didn't grow at all?

What did Dad do his senior year? Also, he cut hard to make 127, but walked around at 138.5 a year later. He didn't grow at all?

He walked around in the low 140s.  Note that the weight at states for 138 was 142, with weight allowance.  So he weighed 142.5.

He went at 154 as a senior.  Was undefeated going into Christmas holidays.  Went to a party and got turned into the HS admin for drinking.  Mind you not on school grounds, but was drinking nonetheless.  He and his best friend (who was a 12-time letter winner & eventual state runner-up in the pole vault) were suspended from their winter sports teams.  Times were different back then.  

He walked around in the low 140s. Note that the weight at states for 138 was 142, with weight allowance. So he weighed 142.5.

He went at 154 as a senior. Was undefeated going into Christmas holidays. Went to a party and got turned into the HS admin for drinking. Mind you not on school grounds, but was drinking nonetheless. He and his best friend (who was a 12-time letter winner & eventual state runner-up in the pole vault) were suspended from their winter sports teams. Times were different back then.

Wow that sucks! At least he had that magic junior year!

Mark Hall looks small for 174 but he isn't, plain and simple.  He was miserable cutting to 74kilos with DAY BEFORE weighins and said he'll never do it again.  If you can barely make 74 kilos with night before you are probably in the 180s.  He isn't small for 174, period...

Mark Hall looks small for 174 but he isn't, plain and simple. He was miserable cutting to 74kilos with DAY BEFORE weighins and said he'll never do it again. If you can barely make 74 kilos with night before you are probably in the 180s. He isn't small for 174, period...

he will do well at 174.