Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Gable Steveson @ NCAAs THIS SEASON

I think this year behind Nevellis too, just bc in this hypothetical I am assuming Gable isn't in a college room and just showed up at ncaas. He wins next year.

I watched his state finals match and he pins his kid in like 10 seconds before doing an impressive series of flips. The kid he wrestled looked petrified to wrestle him and wanted no parts of the match. I have to think many guys that wrestled him were content with getting pinned in a few seconds and were not even trying...

who was the last true freshman HWT AA?

The year before Gwiz... Spencer Myers from Maryland was a true frosh AA in 2011, placing 6th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

He doesn't place right this second.  He still needs to adjust.  Snyder mauls him.  Coon beats him easily.  

I think you're way off.  He's already competitive with Gwiz (not saying he beats him, but it's by no means a mauling).  

He could walk into the tournament tomorrow and place top 5.  

I think you're way off.  He's already competitive with Gwiz (not saying he beats him, but it's by no means a mauling).  

He could walk into the tournament tomorrow and place top 5.

Highly doubt that. I can think of half dozen guys he'd probably struggle to beat, lose to 2 early & no AA. Didn't a hs jr bump up from 220 to wrestle him and give a pretty tough match. How many 7 minute matches has he had this season. Historically its been very difficult for a fr hwt to jump into lineup & have success early as a lot of adjustment to wrestling experienced 7 min hwts. To think one could go straight from hs to NCAA tourney with no 7 min experience and no training & prep for specific wrestlers style (eg look at Synder v Coon) is a bit absurd.

In a purely hypothetical situation, where Stevenson hadn't wrestled 30 or so matches against other 250+ pound grown men and was fresh as a daisy, having been transported right from his high school gym, I think he would place at NCAAs right now, likely in the 5-8 range. 

However, you never know with absolute certainty how a guy will do after being away from home, taking care of himself, making the grade, and avoiding distractions.  We'll find out next year.  Should be interesting!   

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

In a purely hypothetical situation, where Stevenson hadn't wrestled 30 or so matches against other 250+ pound grown men and was fresh as a daisy, having been transported right from his high school gym, I think he would place at NCAAs right now, likely in the 5-8 range.

However, you never know how a guy will do after being away from home, taking care of himself, making the grade, and avoiding distractions. We'll find out next year. Should be interesting!

He won’t be that far from home, but otherwise your point stands.

Highly doubt that. I can think of half dozen guys he'd probably struggle to beat, lose to 2 early & no AA. Didn't a hs jr bump up from 220 to wrestle him and give a pretty tough match. How many 7 minute matches has he had this season. Historically its been very difficult for a fr hwt to jump into lineup & have success early as a lot of adjustment to wrestling experienced 7 min hwts. To think one could go straight from hs to NCAA tourney with no 7 min experience and no training & prep for specific wrestlers style (eg look at Synder v Coon) is a bit absurd.

Well that HS Junior is the #1 ranked 220lber in the country and a cadet world champion in his own right. So not exactly a slouch that he faced there.

Kerkvliet gave him a good match, sure. 

I just believe that Steveson is a generational talent.  The best prospect at heavyweight since Mocco.  Conventional wisdom doesn't apply to him, and the talent pool at heavyweight at the moment is fairly weak IMO.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie

Kerkvliet gave him a good match, sure. 

I just believe that Steveson is a generational talent.  The best prospect at heavyweight since Mocco.  Conventional wisdom doesn't apply to him, and the talent pool at heavyweight at the moment is fairly weak IMO.  

I have no doubt that he is better than Mocco. He's entering seniors this year, and it is not out of the question that he wins it. 

Also, remember that Gable dominated a college open tournament this year. He pinned 13-4 Brandon Metz in 30 seconds, pinned Nebraska’s David Jensen, and beat Rylee Streifel by 7. For comparison, Streifel lost by 2 to Nevills and had a 5 point match with Coon.

I think this year behind Nevellis too, just bc in this hypothetical I am assuming Gable isn't in a college room and just showed up at ncaas. He wins next year.

You could always ask Tony Nelson (7th, 1st, 1st 2nd) how he thinks Steveson would do against Nevills (DNP, 5th).

Also, remember that Gable dominated a college open tournament this year. He pinned 13-4 Brandon Metz in 30 seconds, pinned Nebraska’s David Jensen, and beat Rylee Streifel by 7. For comparison, Streifel lost by 2 to Nevills and had a 5 point match with Coon.

For comparison, Streifel lost by 7 to Streck and 11 to Conan Jennings.