TBar1977

What it takes for Penn St to close the gap at NCAA's

PSU wins if their big five are all finalists again.  But Zain, Hall and Nickal are the only ones who look likely to do it.  I don't know how Nolf holds up.  Lee is not a shoo in to place.  Joseph had a great season but was a bit off of late.  Imar handled him.  Wanzek headlocked him.  Massa was very close as well.  And we know Marinelli win continue to be a pain for all concerned.  

Buckeyes most likely finalist is Snyder.  Then they've got 8 guys that can place high but there's no guarantee that any of them wrestle for a title.  They have the most upside but PSU has more sure things.  

Michigan has three possible finalists in Micic, Pantaleo (depending on Kem and Nolf) and Coon.  Abounader, Amine and Massa can finish top five as well.  They have a great "6 pack" but the injury to Beasley means there's no one else who will score.   They'd have to be perfect (5-6 finalists and a 3rd) with some slippage from PSU and tOSU to get it done.

Mizzou has a terrific squad but they just aren't as prepared due to the weakness of the MAC (esp. this season).  I think that hurts.  

PSU wins if their big five are all finalists again.  But Zain, Hall and Nickal are the only ones who look likely to do it.  I don't know how Nolf holds up.  Lee is not a shoo in to place.  Joseph had a great season but was a bit off of late.  Imar handled him.  Wanzek headlocked him.  Massa was very close as well.  And we know Marinelli win continue to be a pain for all concerned.  

Buckeyes most likely finalist is Snyder.  Then they've got 8 guys that can place high but there's no guarantee that any of them wrestle for a title.  They have the most upside but PSU has more sure things.  

Michigan has three possible finalists in Micic, Pantaleo (depending on Kem and Nolf) and Coon.  Abounader, Amine and Massa can finish top five as well.  They have a great "6 pack" but the injury to Beasley means there's no one else who will score.   They'd have to be perfect (5-6 finalists and a 3rd) with some slippage from PSU and tOSU to get it done.

Mizzou has a terrific squad but they just aren't as prepared due to the weakness of the MAC (esp. this season).  I think that hurts.  

Perhaps, but Brian Smith isn't a bad coach, and he's happy with their prep.  They are also very confident (the mental game at this level is HUGE), and healthy.  They don't have the numbers to challenge for 1/2, but beating Michigan/Iowa/Lehigh for 3rd is a real possibility.  Plus, they'll benefit from good seeds, unless the RPI factor screws them royally.  I've said since we went to this formula that the RPI calculus was flawed and gave an advantage to weaker conferences like the ACC (years past, not this year).  As for quality wins, you can only wrestle who's put in front of you, so I think that is overrated as well.  A better indicator is a bad loss, imo.