Frank_Rizzo

Lewis, Massa, and Iowa's corner

Why did Lewis and Massa both get into it with Iowa's corner this past weekend?  Massa with the stare down and flex, Lewis with the yapping hand motion, etc.  Two incidents in one tournament involving a team's coaching staff seems odd to me. 

Watching Lewis say something to Marinelli right after Marinelli's last (and very nicely executed) takedown and then go right at Brands (I assume) has me wondering what lead up to all of that.

Yeah there had to be something. Lewis is a hot head, but Massa is not

Yeah there had to be something. Lewis is a hot head, but Massa is not

Agreed; Massa's reaction really surprised me, too.

I've not ever heard of Tom Brands openly trashing wrestlers from other teams. If he has, I've missed it. Rather, he's a guy who tends to talk up his own guys for what appears to be both support and motivation.

Why did Lewis and Massa both get into it with Iowa's corner this past weekend?  Massa with the stare down and flex, Lewis with the yapping hand motion, etc.  Two incidents in one tournament involving a team's coaching staff seems odd to me. 

You don't think Brands was chirping...busting their "b@ll$ a bit...directly or indirectly?

Brands may have been pumping up Marinelli with little quips like "C'mon Alex, these guys got nothin" which of course Lewis and Massa had absolutely no problem hearing.

Instead of exorting Alex on and taking Lewis/Massa off their game...it backfired.

Edited by PANewbie

Brands may have been pumping up Marinelli with little quips like "C'mon Alex, these guys got nothin" which of course Lewis and Massa had absolutely no problem hearing.

That'll do it and, yes, it certainly backfired.

Add to that these guys know that Marinelli was undefeated going into B10s and had handed both of them losses to that point. Marinelli had a target on his back, so Massa and Lewis had extra motivation to take it to "The Bull." Regardless, I like watching Marinelli roll. That kid is something else.

That'll do it and, yes, it certainly backfired.

I agree, always thought it is dumb of coaches to do say something negative about the opponent. Whenever I heard an opposing coach chirp about me it always motivated me to beat his guy and shut him up.

Edited by TurdFerguson

I would say that the ref should warn Iowa's corner if they are legit talking **** about kids during matches, but it seems like getting beaten and flexed on is a more appropriate remedy.  I would be pretty pissed at my coach if they were antagonizing a surge of energy from my opponent on a regular basis.

I would say that the ref should warn Iowa's corner if they are legit talking **** about kids during matches, but it seems like getting beaten and flexed on is a more appropriate remedy.  I would be pretty pissed at my coach if they were antagonizing a surge of energy from my opponent on a regular basis.

There's so many things the refs have to be ready to warn the Brands about, its gotta be tough to remember em all. :(

....maybe because they are both as immature as the Brands?