teach

Wisconsin

Copied from the Wi wrestling forum 

xx.gif

« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:17:37 AM »

Parents,

I am reaching out to you today to notify you that I am resigning as Head Coach of the University of Wisconsin Wrestling program following the NCAA Championships next week.  After meeting with Coach Alvarez, we have felt it is time to make a change in leadership of the program.  It has been a wonderful 26 years at Wisconsin, I leave with nothing but fond memories from my time here. I am grateful for the opportunity to coach your sons and all the young men that came before them.  And as I move into the next chapter of my career, I look forward to new challenges, new opportunities and to spend time with my family. As we always say “Once a Badger, Always a Badger” and Coach Brandvold, Coach Ruschell, Coach Eppert and myself will always be here for your sons long after we leave the wrestling room.  Coach Brandvold and Coach Ruschell will be on staff till the end of the semester to ensure a smooth transition and we are all available to you as needed.  I have the utmost confidence in Coach Alvarez and the administration to bring in someone that will continue to build on this great program and do things the Wisconsin Way.
As I told your sons this morning in our meeting, we have one day to process this decision and then it is time to focus on the task at hand.  Our jobs here are not done until the last match of the NCAA Championships and so my focus continues to be in making them the best wrestlers possible in the time we have left to prepare.
I am open for questions and calls for the next 24 hours, but once we hit the mat on Tuesday for practice, I ask that you please wait until the Championships are over to reach out, so I can focus, prepare and finish the job at hand.
My Sport Administrator, Doug Tiedt, has also offered to field questions or comments.  He can be reached at 608-516-2300 or dat@athletics.wisc.edu
Thank you all for all of your support of your sons and of this program.  We have the best student-athletes, families and fans in the country and it has been my honor to lead the program all of these years.

On Wisconsin,
Coach Davis

xx.gif

Edited by whyme25

It seems like kind of odd timing for that sort of announcement, unless the thinking is that it'll be more of a motivating "let's do it for coach" factor going into NCAAs rather than a distracting one.

Barry is usually in the tunnel at ncaas so this shouldn’t be too distracting for the wrestlers. Lol

Askren has a sharpe wrestling mind, high level of energy, and a passion for development.

I think he would be a terrible choice. He doesn't have the ability to stay focussed for more than 30 seconds. I've got to believe the head coach of a D1 program can't get distracted by squirrels playing in the trees. Maybe it isn't necessary, but it seems like it should be.

I'm not super familiar with Wisconsin athletics. Will Alvarez try to make a big hire here or just fill the position?

He's never hired a head wrestling coach so I have no idea how much interest he will put into it. He was very loyal to Davis, may have been the Iowa connection.

Askren has a sharpe wrestling mind, high level of energy, and a passion for development.

I think he would be a terrible choice. He doesn't have the ability to stay focussed for more than 30 seconds. I've got to believe the head coach of a D1 program can't get distracted by squirrels playing in the trees. Maybe it isn't necessary, but it seems like it should be.

Hopefully he doesnt put that on his resume.  

Im thinking Alvarez will pick someone with some college coaching, recruiting and admin experience.