teach

Wisconsin

Assistants' names are thrown around regularly. Damion Hahn being a prime example of this. That said, how many jobs has Hahn applied for and been passed over for someone else?

Here's my list:

1. Cunningham

2. Hahn

3. Tom Brands (he might need a new job with a lot less expectation for success, so his teams' results look really good... ;) )

4. Mark Perry - 'cuz, why not?

5. Lee Kemp

I think they should lure Mitch Hull out of retirement from USA wrestling - wasn't he head coach at Purdue in the 90's? 

Sweet of you to think of me, and I'm sure that you'll be sorry you asked!

First of all, good luck to Barry, and thanks for 25 years of bringing in and working with a great bunch of young men. A quarter of a century running a squeaky clean, problem free program is a testament to his good-will and care for the boys.

Now, to your query...

I think that, if J Rob were available and interested, he would merit serious consideration. He knows HOW to build a championship team out of a non-Iowa program.

Realize that ADs around the Midwest may think he is a "no-touch" entity, but J has always had winning teams. And I guess winning is the name of the game. Also, J would keep the boys employed all summer with this camps.

I think that Lee Kemp would do a great job if he were so inclined. His children are grown now, so he may be available. Lee is still regarded as a Giant of the wrestling community by the folks that know anything about wrestling, and he would be a proponent of free and greco too, which is a huge draw in itself.

I think that Kyle Ruschell, coming out of several years of retirement, answering the call of duty and going up a weight class to kick tail at the Pan Ams  should stay on as he is an inspiration to us all.

I'd like to see that Nazar would be a "during practice" training partner, as he is definitely a draw. Don't know if he gets to do that or not.

It would be great to get Tyler Graff back to work with the lightweights.

I think that regional sponsorship, like the American Milk Producers Inc and send wrestlers to do clinics up to the utmost corners of the state is important and should be a big push to reclaim  ( we gave out stocking caps with the AMPI logo!).  Drumming up new corp sponsorship would be something a coach would need to do, of course all legal per the NCAA rules. I don't know the rules on that, however.

I think that the Badgers could wrestle exhibition duals at various high schools like they used to- More marketing!

I'd like to see more diverse set-ups to take-downs. Diving- in is sort of crazy in my book, but then again, we didn't ankle-dive back in the day, because most of us KNELT HARD on the diver's head when he tried it.  It is effective for alot of guys, I know.  Scoring will increase with more variety of set-ups, just my opinion. Good old fashioned head-snaps and arm-drags added to the repertoire are plenty to keep those Dake-ish low-squatters a little more honest.

Just my humble opinion. What do I know- I've never been a D-1 University head coach.

Interesting on Kemp, being an Ohio guy, we all looked up to him.  I just wonder if he would be interested and if so would he be able to recruit?  His legend is probably lost on this generation.  After all, Kemp is 5 years older than Barry Davis.   However, unlike Davis, Kemp is top 10 in the Pantheon of American wrestling.  

Edited by jeffr_ideal

Sweet of you to think of me, and I'm sure that you'll be sorry you asked!

First of all, good luck to Barry, and thanks for 25 years of bringing in and working with a great bunch of young men. A quarter of a century running a squeaky clean, problem free program is a testament to his good-will and care for the boys.

Not too squeaky clean, a couple years ago a current assistant coach got into some trouble for trying to recruit a lower division kid. I know the NCAA was involved in at least a reprimand.

Not too squeaky clean, a couple years ago a current assistant coach got into some trouble for trying to recruit a lower division kid. I know the NCAA was involved in at least a reprimand.

Now thats really some dirty laundy!   Lol...      If you aint cheatin you aint tryin

Askren is too much of a loose cannon.  Too right wing, as well.  Bryan Snyder.

Wisconsin went red in 2016 after going blue the previous 7 elections. 

Hoping they wake up after a long slumber on the wrestling front, too.

The best thing that could happen to Wisconsin wrestling is to chose Ben Askren as the next head coach for Wisconsin.

I don't use twitter, so that's disappointing to hear because Ben seems like a bright guy.  Guess it's probably good he isn't in Tempe anymore because they're doing a big Marine Corps training exercise in Phoenix and conspiracy theories are flying around about how martial law is coming and hide your guns and blaming Obama or Clinton for it.  

He's an alright guy. I unfollowed him because he was starting to repost some pretty slanted stuff. Looked like a pattern so I just unsubscribed to save myself the annoyance.

Wisconsin went red in 2016 after going blue the previous 7 elections. 

Hoping they wake up after a long slumber on the wrestling front, too.

The best thing that could happen to Wisconsin wrestling is to chose Ben Askren as the next head coach for Wisconsin.

Not a slam on him, but what Ben Askren did on the mat was natural. You can't teach that kind of stuff, you just either have it or you don't.  You aren't gonna hire Ben Askren and have a team full of guys wrestling just like Ben Askren in a few years. In fact if they learn their technique from him you'll probably have the ****tiest team in the conference.

Edited by TobusRex

He's an alright guy. I unfollowed him because he was starting to repost some pretty slanted stuff. Looked like a pattern so I just unsubscribed to save myself the annoyance.

I try to stay away from that stuff.  I've had to unfriend several people in the wrestling community who spout racist and slanted crap constantly.  Have your opinions it's fine, but don't believe and share stories that come from real "fake news" places that aren't verified and have nobody checking the authenticity.  One old retired coach I was friends on Facebook would share the craziest stuff about how dangerous and evil Obama was, he had coached from the 60's on, and finally he admitted that he didn't like Obama because he wasn't a white guy.  People like that need to be excised.

Askren waivers on the idea that the shootings in Sandy Hook might have been some kind of government scheme, conspiracy, etc...  If one entertains that sort of nonsense he probably does not need to leading anything at a respected public university.  Heck, if he is willing to open that door in public, there is a solid chance what he keeps to himself and closets friends could be pretty awful.

Askren waivers on the idea that the shootings in Sandy Hook might have been some kind of government scheme, conspiracy, etc...  If one entertains that sort of nonsense he probably does not need to leading anything at a respected public university.  Heck, if he is willing to open that door in public, there is a solid chance what he keeps to himself and closets friends could be pretty awful.

So does a kid's coach in Michigan named Mike Krause.  Seriously that guy is a lunatic. He threatened to sue me actually lol.

How about a brother combination to counter what goes on a little South and West.?  Jim and Jeff Jordan

Maybe Jimmy on his own would do it, only considering the dumpster fire going on in DC at his current job.  Maybe he finally gets out of politics.

Jeff wouldn't do it simply because (#1) doesn't want the drastic pay cut (#2) the primadonna HS kids/parents are easier to deal with.  

Edited by stp

Askren waivers on the idea that the shootings in Sandy Hook might have been some kind of government scheme, conspiracy, etc... If one entertains that sort of nonsense he probably does not need to leading anything at a respected public university. Heck, if he is willing to open that door in public, there is a solid chance what he keeps to himself and closets friends could be pretty awful.

Tom Ryan and his anti-vaccine, etc views does okay at the OSU.

If Askren is really tweeting about school

shootings being false flag operations, he's unhireable. Even if he is hired, one e-mail to the school paper would get him canned. The people saying Wisc is a red state have never been to Madison, and being a conspiracy nut has nothing to do red/blue. Even if he isn't tweeting that, he should probably be back as an assistant for a bit before taking over a HC job.

JRob is also unhireable. Can't believe someone brought him up. Notwithstanding the fact that he is retired, he allegedly (or admittedly) didn't report a drug ring on his team through the proper channels. That's a multi million dollar liability.

Somebody else brought up Chertow...really???

The list who they can get depends on what they are willing to spend. I'm assuming Pop and Bono are not feasible hires. Same for Tervel, Cunningham, and Hahn.

How about Hrovat, Herbert, Metcalf, Perry, Zaddick, or Varner?

Not a slam on him, but what Ben Askren did on the mat was natural. You can't teach that kind of stuff, you just either have it or you don't.  You aren't gonna hire Ben Askren and have a team full of guys wrestling just like Ben Askren in a few years. In fact if they learn their technique from him you'll probably have the ****tiest team in the conference.

Askren is actually an excellent technician. He doesn't force everyone to wrestle his style, but he does break down scramble situations to a science. That's something very few coaches do. He has some qualities that could make him an excellent coach, but others that make you nervous about hiring him. He could either be an outstanding coach or a complete flop, but I don't think there is a middle ground with him. Definitely a risky hire. Not sure if it would be worth the risk but my gut says it would pay off.

Pop or Cunningham would be the best choices you could make but not sure if they are going anywhere. I think Pritzlaff would be great too but not sure of the situation there...others have mentioned he didn't leave on good terms.

If Askren is really tweeting about school

shootings being false flag operations, he's unhireable. Even if he is hired, one e-mail to the school paper would get him canned. The people saying Wisc is a red state have never been to Madison, and being a conspiracy nut has nothing to do red/blue. Even if he isn't tweeting that, he should probably be back as an assistant for a bit before taking over a HC job.

JRob is also unhireable. Can't believe someone brought him up. Notwithstanding the fact that he is retired, he allegedly (or admittedly) didn't report a drug ring on his team through the proper channels. That's a multi million dollar liability.

Somebody else brought up Chertow...really???

The list who they can get depends on what they are willing to spend. I'm assuming Pop and Bono are not feasible hires. Same for Tervel, Cunningham, and Hahn.

How about Hrovat, Herbert, Metcalf, Perry, Zaddick, or Varner?

I brought J up because he did the "impossible" at Minny.  Isn't that what everyone is screaming about wanting? Everyone else you just mentioned (Chertow, Hrovat, Herbert, Metcalf, Perry, Zadick, Varner) don't have that "it" factor, as far as I can tell.  Not to say that they couldn't do the job, just that I'm not seeing any of them get the job done, as J would. And by the way, J wasn't penalized by any court of law.

Heck's bells, they let Brian Kelly stay at Notre Dame after he sent up a kid in a scissor jack during high gales and killed him.

J is the kind of guy who looks out for his boys, and was willing to take the axe to give them a future without a felony charge. I know old Hawkeyes who would run through a wall for him.

Lee Kemp carries himself with dignity unparalleled. He would be a great coach as well. He was one of my coaches and believe me, when Kemp was in your corner, you WANTED to come through and did what you could to get it done ( even if I didn't all of the time).  He has spent a lot of energy and time marketing to the masses- he is well suited to the job.

Lennie Zalesky knows how to build a program from scratch. He may not have the name that so many of you have brought up, but he has achieved great success in California, yet he's from the Midwest. Few nomad coaches have left their sphere of influence and achieved like that.  

If you want what everyone is harping for, who is going to give you Smith/Sanderson/Gable-esque results, you need someone who has been there. Or someone like Tom Ryan who apparently has the "it" factor. Obviously, very few have it.

"It" factor would be a 4 timer.  I wonder if Logan Stieber or Kyle Dake would get any consideration?  I know Logan doesn't have a ton of experience in the college coaching ranks (but spends a ton of time coaching tOSU guys).  I cannot remember, but didn't Cael only coach for a year or two before he was put at the helm of ISU? 

Edited by jeffr_ideal