teach

Wisconsin

Askren is actually an excellent technician. He doesn't force everyone to wrestle his style, but he does break down scramble situations to a science. That's something very few coaches do. He has some qualities that could make him an excellent coach, but others that make you nervous about hiring him. He could either be an outstanding coach or a complete flop, but I don't think there is a middle ground with him. Definitely a risky hire. Not sure if it would be worth the risk but my gut says it would pay off.

Pop or Cunningham would be the best choices you could make but not sure if they are going anywhere. I think Pritzlaff would be great too but not sure of the situation there...others have mentioned he didn't leave on good terms.

Point being he has done nothing to improve his coaching resume in years.   He could be all of those things but he has shown no evidence of it.  

It's 100% all about him.  That's only going to go so far as a DI HC and leader of men.

If Askren is really tweeting about school

shootings being false flag operations, he's unhireable. Even if he is hired, one e-mail to the school paper would get him canned. The people saying Wisc is a red state have never been to Madison, and being a conspiracy nut has nothing to do red/blue. Even if he isn't tweeting that, he should probably be back as an assistant for a bit before taking over a HC job.

JRob is also unhireable. Can't believe someone brought him up. Notwithstanding the fact that he is retired, he allegedly (or admittedly) didn't report a drug ring on his team through the proper channels. That's a multi million dollar liability.

Somebody else brought up Chertow...really???

The list who they can get depends on what they are willing to spend. I'm assuming Pop and Bono are not feasible hires. Same for Tervel, Cunningham, and Hahn.

How about Hrovat, Herbert, Metcalf, Perry, Zaddick, or Varner?

Dude- Kenny Chertow brought Queens College from nothing to what it is today in a very short period of time.  He is a serious contender

I guess we'll see...Robie will be able to ride Dressers build for a couple years but VT will never be as good without Dresser..JMO

Robie ran the show while Dresser was there. Dresser was a mouth piece and a great recruiter that's all.

I try to stay away from that stuff.  I've had to unfriend several people in the wrestling community who spout racist and slanted crap constantly.  Have your opinions it's fine, but don't believe and share stories that come from real "fake news" places that aren't verified and have nobody checking the authenticity.  One old retired coach I was friends on Facebook would share the craziest stuff about how dangerous and evil Obama was, he had coached from the 60's on, and finally he admitted that he didn't like Obama because he wasn't a white guy.  People like that need to be excised.

Yeah, bad news to get overtly political online if a person has a public job, like a head coach at a college. Just keep personal opinions to yourself in that type situation. It's hard to do and requires a lot more discipline than I have, for sure. 

Is Pop the heir apparent to John Smith at Okie State?  I cannot see Smith being around much longer.  But just my opinion. 

John will be around as long as he wants. I've heard rumors that he's considering retirement, but just rumors. When John goes I want either Mark Branch or Chris Perry to take over. Yes, I said Chris Perry. 

He's an alright guy. I unfollowed him because he was starting to repost some pretty slanted stuff. Looked like a pattern so I just unsubscribed to save myself the annoyance.

Is it me or in the last few weeks or so, it seems like Askren has toned down his political stuff on twitter.  I wonder if that is just because of the time of the year (more wrestling stuff to talk about) or whether he is cleaning up his act for a potential job opportunity. 

Is it me or in the last few weeks or so, it seems like Askren has toned down his political stuff on twitter.  I wonder if that is just because of the time of the year (more wrestling stuff to talk about) or whether he is cleaning up his act for a potential job opportunity. 

He may have. I don't follow him anymore so if I see one of his tweets it's something that's been reposted by another wrestler. I hope Askren has turned the politics down, will be better for his bottom line. 

How about Jake Herbert for coach at Wisconsin? Nobody is mentioning him. Guy was a great college wrestler, 2 X National Champion, and a really cool guy. Herbert is one of the most relentlessly upbeat guys ever. He's very smart and I think he'd be a good organizer, too. Herbert has Big 10 roots and young kids will like having a young, enthusiastic coach. Herbert is friends with Askren, but I'd never seen any overtly political things on Jake's twitter. He was stoked about Bitcoin for awhile, lol. 

He may have. I don't follow him anymore so if I see one of his tweets it's something that's been reposted by another wrestler. I hope Askren has turned the politics down, will be better for his bottom line. 

How about Jake Herbert for coach at Wisconsin? Nobody is mentioning him. Guy was a great college wrestler, 2 X National Champion, and a really cool guy. Herbert is one of the most relentlessly upbeat guys ever. He's very smart and I think he'd be a good organizer, too. Herbert has Big 10 roots and young kids will like having a young, enthusiastic coach. Herbert is friends with Askren, but I'd never seen any overtly political things on Jake's twitter. He was stoked about Bitcoin for awhile, lol. 

Lots of guys never coach in college, sell houses and then move directly to one of the top 15 head coaching jobs in the nation.  Because , you know, enthusiasm is all it takes

He is an awful human being.

At the time I was living someplace pretty remote when he asked for my address, and honestly I didn't even know what it was, so I sort of tried to describe it to him. I also asked him if he was prepared to spend that much (over$3k) to hire a process serve to come out to me, and that I wasn't really sure that any legal process would have any bearing in an overseas possession of another country that has a different legal system.  If he hadn't blocked me on Facebook for calling him out, I would have kept needling him about his supposed lawsuit against me.  The really funny part was him saying that he knew every big name in wrestling so it didn't matter what he thought personally or said, and name dropped Gable, John Smith, etc. 

Lots of guys never coach in college, sell houses and then move directly to one of the top 15 head coaching jobs in the nation.  Because , you know, enthusiasm is all it takes

I thought he WAS coaching, albeit not on a "college level". Pretty sure Herbert does clinics and such. Anyway he's certainly not as bad a choice as Askren, who in addition to not coaching also has "twitter baggage".

Point being he has done nothing to improve his coaching resume in years.   He could be all of those things but he has shown no evidence of it.  

It's 100% all about him.  That's only going to go so far as a DI HC and leader of men.

That is a fair assessment.

Dude- Kenny Chertow brought Queens College from nothing to what it is today in a very short period of time.  He is a serious contender

I disagree with this though. Chertow started building the program and then just left it. Presumably because it wasn't as financially lucrative as he first thought. Why would you want someone like that to lead your program?