Sign in to follow this  
Witherman

125 NCAA Seeding

Was thinking about this today and wanted to see how the board sees this shaking out.

I think Cruz is the #1 based on returning champ and no official losses.

After that my mind goes to suriano but then I think to myself, what has he really done to earn that #2 spot? He hasn’t wrestled Lee (but outplaced him at midlands) and he hasn’t wrestled nato (who outplaced him at B1Gs)

Lee and nato are 1-1 so I think nato gets the nod there based on winning B1Gs

I guess I could see it either

1 cruz

2 nato

3 Lee

4 suriano

OR

1 Cruz

2 suriano

3 nato

4 Lee

Personally, I’m on the punish seed due to MFF bandwagon, but I’d also be lying if I said I wanted Lee and nato on the same side given my hawkeye bias.

Thoughts?

Was thinking about this today and wanted to see how the board sees this shaking out.

I think Cruz is the #1 based on returning champ and no official losses.

After that my mind goes to suriano but then I think to myself, what has he really done to earn that #2 spot? He hasn’t wrestled Lee (but outplaced him at midlands) and he hasn’t wrestled nato (who outplaced him at B1Gs)

Lee and nato are 1-1 so I think nato gets the nod there based on winning B1Gs

I guess I could see it either

1 cruz

2 nato

3 Lee

4 suriano

OR

1 Cruz

2 suriano

3 nato

4 Lee

Personally, I’m on the punish seed due to MFF bandwagon, but I’d also be lying if I said I wanted Lee and nato on the same side given my hawkeye bias.

Thoughts?

I get that Cruz has not wrestled the schedule of Nato, Lee, and Suriano but he's undefeated, so I would tend toward your second ranking.  Suriano beat Bresser who beat Lee, and Nato has the last win against Lee.  But those dang Med Fors at B-10.  So I might go:

1. Cruz

2. Nato

3. Suriano

4. Lee

Let the lambasting begin.

If this is the criteria:

● Head-to-head competition — 25 percent
● Quality wins — 20 percent
● Coaches ranking — 15 percent
● Results against common opponents — 10 percent
● RPI — 10 percent
● Qualifying event placement — 10 percent
● Win percentage — 10 percent

Then:

- Cruz was #1 in the last coaches ranking, and no reason to expect he would drop - so he has that 15% on everyone

and

- No one beats him on head-to-head.

- No one beats him on results against common opponents

- no one beats him on qualifying event placement

- no one beats him on win %

Presumably others could possibly top him on quality wins and RPI, but if they did, that's a max. 30 % - in that case, the competitor would have to match him on at least 3 of the above criterion as well.  I'm not gonna do the  math, but I'd say Cruz has it locked up.

Edited by redblades

If this is the criteria:

● Head-to-head competition — 25 percent

● Quality wins — 20 percent

● Coaches ranking — 15 percent

● Results against common opponents — 10 percent

● RPI — 10 percent

● Qualifying event placement — 10 percent

● Win percentage — 10 percent

Then:

- Cruz was #1 in the last coaches ranking, and no reason to expect he would drop - so he has that 15% on everyone

and

- No one beats him on head-to-head.

- No one beats him on results against common opponents

- no one beats him on qualifying event placement

- no one beats him on win %

Presumably others could possibly top him on quality wins and RPI, but if they did, that's a max. 30 % - in that case, the competitor would have to match him on at least 3 of the above criterion as well.  I'm not gonna do the  math, but I'd say Cruz has it locked up.

I see Cruz as the obvious #1 see.  An interesting note... taking an MFF to 6th should know Sorryano & Nolf down.  But... while in past years the seed criteria has been listed the the NCAA Pre-Championships Manual, it is not in this year's edition.   This year's edition simply states that a committee will seed the participants.

Edited by lu_alum

I get that Cruz has not wrestled the schedule of Nato, Lee, and Suriano but he's undefeated, so I would tend toward your second ranking.  Suriano beat Bresser who beat Lee, and Nato has the last win against Lee.  But those dang Med Fors at B-10.  So I might go:

1. Cruz

2. Nato

3. Suriano

4. Lee

Let the lambasting begin.

I see that as likely but really hoping they drop Suriano a bit for the MFF, think it should be more like

1 Cruz

2 Nato

3 Fausz

4 Bresser

5 Lee

6 Picc

7 Suriano

but it really gets messing once past the first 2

I think Piccininni is being disrespected. He's had a strong year, despite a couple head scratching losses (neither was dominant).  I think Picc sneaks into the top 4 and I wouldn't be shocked if he made the finals. 

Who would you drop out of the top 5 and seed Picc over? I don't think he's being disrespected at all. I can see him being seeded 5-6. Now if hes looking at a 7-10 seeding maybe hes being disrespected a little, but top 4? no...

Who would you drop out of the top 5 and seed Picc over? I don't think he's being disrespected at all. I can see him being seeded 5-6. Now if hes looking at a 7-10 seeding maybe hes being disrespected a little, but top 4? no...

Bresser, maybe, from your list. 6th seed isn't out of line on Picc's seed, but it just seems that he's being disregarded as not really a challenger for the title. His ranking is #7 or #8, which seems ridiculously low for a guy who is 24-3 with 14 bonus point decisions. He had a razor thin loss to Lizak after taking a huge first period lead on him,  and lost 2 others to Lee and Fausz.   I see Picc as, more or less, a top 4/5 guy. Granted I probably can't justify it in light of Lee's rise and Tomasello's return to 125. 

Bresser, maybe, from your list. 6th seed isn't out of line on Picc's seed, but it just seems that he's being disregarded as not really a challenger for the title. His ranking is #7 or #8, which seems ridiculously low for a guy who is 24-3 with 14 bonus point decisions. He had a razor thin loss to Lizak after taking a huge first period lead on him,  and lost 2 others to Lee and Fausz.   I see Picc as, more or less, a top 4/5 guy. Granted I probably can't justify it in light of Lee's rise and Tomasello's return to 125. 

No doubt. I agree he is a title contender, albeit an outside shot... but still hes a legitimate title contender.

1. Cruz

2. Tomasello

3. Suriano

4. Lee

5. Fausz

6. Pic

7. Lizak

8/9. Rivera/Bresser or Bresser/Rivera

I like this one the best so far. Definitely agree with the top 4 seeds. Suriano shouldn’t take that big a hit if he’s the only undefeated guy. I see him above Lee, who has two losses and didn’t make the finals of B1G either.

I think Piccininni is being disrespected. He's had a strong year, despite a couple head scratching losses (neither was dominant).  I think Picc sneaks into the top 4 and I wouldn't be shocked if he made the finals. 

I'd agree that Picc is better than he is ranked or than where he will be seeded.  He was beating Lizak easily and almost reversed him to his back, then didn't get out, he could've just hung out on  bottom for the win, don't think Smith would've been happy with that.  Smith is always going to put his guys on bottom early in season so they can learn and just in case the other guy chooses top in post season.  Believe Picc took Lee down twice in 3rd.  At NCAA there's no way he will choose bottom against Lizak or Lee, but think he learned enough to get away if either choose top.  Third loss against Fausz was the Italy match, Fausz is tough and long body.  But he has the 3 losses and will probably be in the 5-7 seed range.

Suriano shouldn’t take that big a hit if he’s the only undefeated guy.

Not the only undefeated. However he did place 6th at B1G, which is an element of the seeding criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which is an element of the seeding criteria.

An important one in this case given he didn't have the quality opponents the others did. I could very easily see him falling to a 4 or 5 given that and also given who the others have faced. 

I see it very plausibly shaping up as Cruz, Toma, Lee, Suriano (could flip Lee/Suriano of course). Technically speaking he (Suriano) really hasn't done much so I wouldn't be surprised if they docked him for that. 

Edited by cm_111

Not the only undefeated. However he did place 6th at B1G, which is an element of the seeding criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, how does that hurt him that much (yes, I get 4 is quite possibly better than 2 or 3 since Cruz is a lock for 1, just arguing purely based on higher seed is better)? Lee placed 3rd. It's better, but not that much better and he has two losses, one to a guy Suriano beat. I don't see a case for Lee over Suriano, who, despite 6th, has enough of a body of work to be top 4 at worst by the weightings of the criteria in which he should get favorable marks. Qualifing placement had 10% weight last year. Same as win %, which for Suriano is 100%.

Edited by wrestlingnerd