ScarletKnight

Barry Davis quit

Maybe this was what Pritzlaff was promised years ago?????

Wisconsin wrestling coach Barry Davis resigned on Monday, ending his 25-year tenure as the Badgers' head coach. Davis will coach the Badgers through the NCAA Championships on March 15-17.

"I want to thank Barry for all he's done for Wisconsin wrestling throughout his time here," Wisconsin Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez said. "I've known Barry for a long time, back to my days as an assistant coach at Iowa and he is one of the most genuine people I've ever met. He has left an indelible mark on Wisconsin wrestling."

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Wisconsin," Davis said. "I've worked with lots of great people and many tremendous student-athletes. This University will always hold a special place in my heart."

Davis, a member of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame, coached 26 All-Americans, eight Big Ten champions, and three NCAA champions while at Wisconsin. He was named NWCA National Coach of the Year in 2010 after leading UW to a fourth-place finish at the NCAA championships.

Davis is Wisconsin's all-time winningest coach and led the Badgers to 15 top 20 finishes at the NCAA championships.

Prior to being named the head coach at Wisconsin, Davis spent seven years as an assistant coach at his alma mater, Iowa. While a student at Iowa, Davis won four Big Ten titles, earned All-America honors all four years and won three NCAA Championships. A two-time Olympian, he won a silver medal at the 1984 Games in Los Angeles.

— UW Athletics press release

Maybe he did it so other coaches would be talking about it at NCAA leading to more potential applicants. I am excited about the prospect of a Taylor or Perry to shake things up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Barry was an old school coach. Do some recruiting but spend most of your time working in the room characterized Davis’ work day. Rob Koll has set the new standard for college coaches. He spends 90% of his time developing relationships. Texting, emailing, phoning, is what he does most of the time. Anyone that can connect him with a recruit or make a donation to the Cornell program will be on his short list of people to contact. The “New Era” of coaching forced Davis out.

Barry was an old school coach. Do some recruiting but spend most of your time working in the room characterized Davis’ work day. Rob Koll has set the new standard for college coaches. He spends 90% of his time developing relationships. Texting, emailing, phoning, is what he does most of the time. Anyone that can connect him with a recruit or make a donation to the Cornell program will be on his short list of people to contact. The “New Era” of coaching forced Davis out.

You don't think Koll is in the room? You think he's in the call center phoning alumni all day? I'm pretty sure what you describe isn't how he spends most of his day/time.

You don't think Koll is in the room? You think he's in the call center phoning alumni all day? I'm pretty sure what you describe isn't how he spends most of his day/time.

Those are his words. He was a speaker at the NWCA Convention the last 2 years and I sat in on his presentation. He acknowledged that by having two highly competent assistant coaches allows him to run his program this way. He is the CEO of Cornell Wrestling.

‘

Edited by gowrestle

I don't think there is any D1 program and other divisions who don't allow the assistants to do all of the trench work with practices. On it's face, the assistants are the only ones physically capable of building better wrestlers.

Congratulations to both Barry Davis and his family.  He get's to retire after 25 years of doing what he loved and he will draw a pension from the State Of Wisconsin for the rest of his life.  Very few people today will receive a defined pension plan and they are so much better than any 401K, IRA, Roth IRA, etc...

I was a little surprised at his lack of achievements at Wisconsin though: no Big 10 championships, not many All Americans (26) for 25 years. On the other hand Wisconsin has always been in the Big 10, which is ludicrously over the top in wrestling. I suppose middle of the pack was about the best Wisconsin could hope for against the great teams Iowa, PSU, OSU, Minnesota have put out over those years. 

Rutgers better put a very heavy ball and chain around Donnie’s ankle right about now.

Rutgers is a better job than Wisconsin if you are trying to win championships.  The number of good recruits in New Jersey is so much higher than Wisconsin.  

Edited by cbg

Rutgers is a better job than Wisconsin if you are trying to win championships.  The number of good recruits in New Jersey is so much higher than Wisconsin.  

While possibly true, this doesn't mean that all NJ recruits only want Rutgers or something within driving distance from their homes. My guess is that Donny's successes at both Michigan and Rutgers, after leaving Wiscy), would endear him to this home  state crowd and make recruiting there much, much easier, especially to a prestigious B10 university.

Rutgers is a better job than Wisconsin if you are trying to win championships. The number of good recruits in New Jersey is so much higher than Wisconsin.

Head coach at B1G versus assistant. Very, very few candidates would opt for the latter unless it is at PSU or Iowa and maybe tOSU.