Sign in to follow this  
Peso

Which Conference is 2nd Toughest?

The Big 12 predecessor, the Big 8 and Big 6 Conference etc, was the toughest conference in the country for about 5 decades.  There is absolutely no doubt that the Big 10 is in a class by themselves at this time.  With that said, who is tougher than this year's Big 12?  I also believe ISU and OU and Fresno St will all surge.  Northern Iowa and South Dakota State aren't going away.  When you get down to the 4th best team, how does that compare with number 4 in the other conferences?  Well, other than the Super Conference.

The Big 12 predecessor, the Big 8 and Big 6 Conference etc, was the toughest conference in the country for about 5 decades.  There is absolutely no doubt that the Big 10 is in a class by themselves at this time.  With that said, who is tougher than this year's Big 12?  I also believe ISU and OU and Fresno St will all surge.  Northern Iowa and South Dakota State aren't going away.  When you get down to the 4th best team, how does that compare with number 4 in the other conferences?  Well, other than the Super Conference.

Pac, EWL, and SoCon are out before you start. ACCs, EIWAs, or MAC are really the only other ones close and the MAC took a big hit from UNI leaving. I think it is the Big 12 right now but some years EIWAs or ACCs are tougher. 

Sounds about right. Big 12 is probably 2nd best at this point.

I am going to vote ACC. I know the Big 12 is good also but the top 2 teams in the ACC (33.3% of the teams) are very good. The rest are pretty good as well. Pitt and UVA are a little down from normal but still good teams. The thing that hurts them is the low number of teams.

ACC and Big 12 are the only choices for second best in my opinion this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The MAC is terrible right now outside Mizzou.  Big 12's rising thanks to Bono, Branch, and Schwab.  ACC has two excellent teams but then there's a gap.  EIWA has Cornell and Lehigh but then there's a big drop.  I'm going Big 12.  

Memo to Mizzou--get into the BT or at least the ACC.  You're too good a program and will always underachieve at NCAA's without harder regular season comp.  

The MAC is terrible right now outside Mizzou.  Big 12's rising thanks to Bono, Branch, and Schwab.  ACC has two excellent teams but then there's a gap.  EIWA has Cornell and Lehigh but then there's a big drop.  I'm going Big 12.  

Memo to Mizzou--get into the BT or at least the ACC.  You're too good a program and will always underachieve at NCAA's without harder regular season comp.  

Mizzou regularly wrestles VT, NCSt, UNC, UVA, Cornell, and OkSt.  Are you saying they'd benefit from wrestling the likes of Duke?  Short of the Big Two, Mizzou wrestles the toughest schedule they can.  We used to wrestle tOSU, but they got tired of us beating them, so they stopped.  The same is true for the B1G teams (other than Illinois), they don't want any part of a non-conference dual against Mizzou.  Iowa has refused to schedule us for years.  There's no upside for them.  This was the first year of the dual tourney in Fla, and when other coaches hear how great it was over the summer, more top teams will want to attend (that's my official prediction).  3 guaranteed matches against quality opponents beats Vegas, Midlands, Scuffle, where you might get a patsy first round, then go 0-2. 

Whether this schedule is adequate prep for the post-season remains to be seen, but even if it isn't, Mizzou doesn't have a lot of other options.

Are you saying the bottom half of the big ten is better than the ACC or Big 12?  I definitely don't agree with that.

Absolutely, the ACC is 2nd best, but the schedule and beat down that the lower Big Ten gets prepares them to be near top in ACC.

The teams that did the best OOC scheduling this year comparable to the Big Ten was Arizona State, Lehigh and a few of the ACC Schools, and Okie State, 

The Big Ten does have the advantage of proximity to their match locations. 

North Carolina - 

Lost to, 6-31 to Purdue ,

beat No. 12 Nebraska 22-14 

beat Minnesota W, 26-15

Lost to Rugers L, 17-18 

beat Michigan State W, 30-6

Pitt

Lost to Wisconsin L, 6-26

Lehigh -

* Beat Michigan, W, 27-8

* lost ot penn state 19-23

NC State

* Beat Nebraska W 29-3

* Lost to osu L 6-29

vIRGINA -

* lOST TO rUTGERS L, 9-21

Mizzou regularly wrestles VT, NCSt, UNC, UVA, Cornell, and OkSt.  Are you saying they'd benefit from wrestling the likes of Duke?  Short of the Big Two, Mizzou wrestles the toughest schedule they can.  We used to wrestle tOSU, but they got tired of us beating them, so they stopped.  The same is true for the B1G teams (other than Illinois), they don't want any part of a non-conference dual against Mizzou.  Iowa has refused to schedule us for years.  There's no upside for them.  This was the first year of the dual tourney in Fla, and when other coaches hear how great it was over the summer, more top teams will want to attend (that's my official prediction).  3 guaranteed matches against quality opponents beats Vegas, Midlands, Scuffle, where you might get a patsy first round, then go 0-2. 

Whether this schedule is adequate prep for the post-season remains to be seen, but even if it isn't, Mizzou doesn't have a lot of other options.

Yeah, gotta give Mizzou credit for wrestling a real schedule.