Sign in to follow this  
RoadrunnerPride

Can PSU set a record?

I remember a lot of talk after last season about whether or not PSU could set a new record at the 2018 NCAA wrestling tourney

Obviously that was before

Suriano decided to transfer but did not include Lee or Rasheed IIRC

So what would it take?

Nolf being healthy enough to win and some bonus points too

ALL 5 champs repeating and several pins and techs for each

Then let’s assume we see Lee and Rasheed in the finals

So 5 champs and 2 runner ups

Nevils gets 3rd

I realize it’s a long shot but can it happen if all that happens?

I was never on a wrestling team that was any good so I don’t know how all the scoring works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by RoadrunnerPride

I meant for the title to ask “can psu set THE record” not a record but don’t know how to edit the title

With my examples, would that set THE record?

5 champs, 2 runner ups, and 3rd,

Zain two pins and two MD

Nolf 1 pin 1 MD

Joseph 1 pin 1 MD

Hall 2 pins 1 MD

BO 3 pins

Lee 1 MD

Rasheed 1 pin

Would that do it?

I meant for the title to ask “can psu set THE record” not a record but don’t know how to edit the title

Zain two pins and two MD

Nolf 1 pin 1 MD

Joseph 1 pin 1 MD

Hall 2 pins 1 MD

BO 3 pins

Lee 1 MD

Rasheed 1 pin

Would that do it?

The bigger question is who will the team title. Both great teams. Great programs. Will Ohio State wrestling in Ohio make a difference? Will It come down to Snyder beating Coon in the finals for the championship?

Zain two pins and two MD

Nolf 1 pin 1 MD

Joseph 1 pin 1 MD

Hall 2 pins 1 MD

BO 3 pins

Lee 1 MD

Rasheed 1 pin

Would that do it?

To answer your question, yes.  That's 172 points, assuming 0 points out of 133.  

I think 3 champs are a pretty strong possibility (Zain, Nolf, and Nickal...I'd still take a 75% Nolf over the field). 

I think Cenzo and Hall are coin flip, 51/49 type matches assuming they make the finals (which is pretty likely imo).

Nevills is a safe bet for 3rd. 

Lee will likely be a low AA in the 5-8 range. He could also realistically not go that far. 

Keener will win a match or 2 but not much beyond that. 

Rasheed is the wild card. I could see him winning it all with the right draw or I can see him being a low AA. 

If the stars align, they get 6 champs, a 3rd, and a 5th. If the stars don't align, they get 3 champs, 2 runner ups, a 3rd, a 6th, and an 8th. I think the latter is a much more likely possibility than the former. 

To answer your question, yes.  That's 172 points, assuming 0 points out of 133.  

Actually that is 26(Zain)+23(Nolf)+23(Joseph)+25(Hall)+26(Nickal)+17(Lee)+18(Rasheed)=158+13.5(I am assuming he is giving the 3rd to Nevills with no bonus)=171.5

Edited by MSU158

Does everyone think Rasheed still makes it to the finals in the national tournament? Not saying he won’t, but unless he was sick or sumthin the Rasheed I saw doesn’t look to have the horsepower needed against the bigger 97’s.

Does everyone think Rasheed still makes it to the finals in the national tournament? Not saying he won’t, but unless he was sick or sumthin the Rasheed I saw doesn’t look to have the horsepower needed against the bigger 97’s.

This has always been the question. There are some guys that I think can horse him around. If he doesn't pick up some pins in rd. 1 or 2 his pt total might not be enough. 

Well, PSU added potential point scorers in Nick Lee and Shakur Rasheed. So I guess it is possible if they have great tournaments and the others repeat their performances. But...without Suriano I'm highly skeptical of it happening.

PSU should worry more about repeating than setting the record.

Yes agreed.  And leave the fan base to "worry" about the record.   

I don't see a record from the Nittany Lions, but I expect them to push their guys deep into the bracket.  Lee and Rasheed should each do well.   The wild card for me becomes Nolf.    

No. Since the time of that theme:

1. Suriano left

2. Nolf injured

You know Tbar.. this is getting out of hand. Once again you say something claiming that PSU is less than perfect and is not indestructible. I now demand you turn in you PSU fan club membership card! Edited by BigTenFanboy