vsnej

BIG Tourney at Rutgers 2020

So the B1G Tournament would max out the seating at around 8000.

Seems a bit undersized.

Why not do like the B1Gn just did for basketball,and hold it at The Garden?

I was hoping they would of held it at the Prudential Center in Newark. The RAC is a great place and cozy for a dual meet but not sure it will a be a great place to hold B1G tournament. Also your probably looking at around 6,000 with 4 mats. Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled the B1G tournament is coming to Jersey but it's going to be tight in there.

Edited by NJwrestlingguy

So the B1G Tournament would max out the seating at around 8000.

Seems a bit undersized.

Why not do like the B1Gn just did for basketball,and hold it at The Garden?

RAC seats about 8.300 but no where to walk for food

If at MSG you think the BIG tourney would sell out 20,000 both days?

Would MSG/NYC be too expensive?

Good grief...  Can you imagine being in an arena with 8000+ Rutgers fans screaming "Stalling!" every fifteen seconds.  No thanks. 

I missed that this weekend at Michigan State, Iowa fans did not say TWO!!! ever once.

Good grief...  Can you imagine being in an arena with 8000+ Rutgers fans screaming "Stalling!" every fifteen seconds.  No thanks. 

Whenever you get a good turnout of wrestling fans for one team, it is inevitable the crowd will be going nuts with stalling calls. It happens a lot at Penn State and obviously Iowa. 

attendance at this year's Big Ten tournament in MSU's basketball arena maxed out at 6,319 for the finals so I think the RAC will do just fine holding everyone that wants to go. a packed house sell out would be quite the atmosphere.

the floor space may get a little cramped. MSU was able to fold in floor seats and it was quite spacious around the mats. I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work tho. should be fun. 

attendance at this year's Big Ten tournament in MSU's basketball arena maxed out at 6,319 for the finals so I think the RAC will do just fine holding everyone that wants to go. a packed house sell out would be quite the atmosphere.

the floor space may get a little cramped. MSU was able to fold in floor seats and it was quite spacious around the mats. I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work tho. should be fun. 

No disrespect but there will be many more fans attending/wanting tickets then the 6,300 at Michigan State and you need to look at the RAC layout. It's not an Arena with a bowl that people could walk around. When you put 4 mats down it's going to be packed and you have to lose some seats..Can't compare it to MSU 16,000 seat Breslin Center,

Edited by NJwrestlingguy

No disrespect but there will be many more fans attending/wanting tickets then the 6,300 at Michigan State and you need to look at the RAC layout. It's not an Arena with a bowl that people could walk around. When you put 4 mats down it's going to be packed and you have to lose some seats..Can't compare it to MSU 16,000 seat Breslin Center,

yes I know the facilities are different. thats why I mentioned that the floor would be more cramped. I also mentioned that there will be possibility of a standing room only crowd. I understand all of that and I still think that would create a fantastic atmosphere and don't see a problem with the RAC as a venue.

I've done the computer work at the EiWA's for the last 12 years. I've also been the Competition Manager for the World Championships at the Garden in 2003 and have been part of the organizing committee for the Grapple at the Garden and the 2016 NCAA's there.

This past weekend I floated the idea of having the Garden host both the EIWA and the BiG side by side with Hofstra (host of the 2016 NCAA and this year's EIWA) and Rutgers serving as the respective hosts.  I spoke to the powers that be at Hofstra and they love the idea.  Then I see the Rutgers announcement for 2020.  I sent the proposal to my contact at the Garden who also likes the idea, at least in the abstract.  I've not spoken to anyone at Rutgers.

The biggest hurdle would be to guarantee the host schools that they would not lose the significant revenue from hosting an event that only comes their way once every blue moon.  And it is significant.

But I think the novelty of the idea of the two most prestigious qualifiers in the World's most famous arena should be something the wrestling community would love to see.  It would be great for the sport.

I was hoping they would of held it at the Prudential Center in Newark. The RAC is a great place and cozy for a dual meet but not sure it will a be a great place to hold B1G tournament. Also your probably looking at around 6,000 with 4 mats. Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled the B1G tournament is coming to Jersey but it's going to be tight in there.

I'm not a big fan of the Prudential Center.

Limited,expensive parking.

Not a great neighborhood, with not a lot around it.

Last time I was in the area,there wasn't much in the way of hotels.

I've done the computer work at the EiWA's for the last 12 years. I've also been the Competition Manager for the World Championships at the Garden in 2003 and have been part of the organizing committee for the Grapple at the Garden and the 2016 NCAA's there.

This past weekend I floated the idea of having the Garden host both the EIWA and the BiG side by side with Hofstra (host of the 2016 NCAA and this year's EIWA) and Rutgers serving as the respective hosts.  I spoke to the powers that be at Hofstra and they love the idea.  Then I see the Rutgers announcement for 2020.  I sent the proposal to my contact at the Garden who also likes the idea, at least in the abstract.  I've not spoken to anyone at Rutgers.

The biggest hurdle would be to guarantee the host schools that they would not lose the significant revenue from hosting an event that only comes their way once every blue moon.  And it is significant.

But I think the novelty of the idea of the two most prestigious qualifiers in the World's most famous arena should be something the wrestling community would love to see.  It would be great for the sport.

What exactly do you mean by  "Side by Side" ? 

Side by side = 8 mats/4 each conference.  Each conference uses 4 mats now.  We already know that the Garden can accommodate 8 mats from the NCAA's

I can see that working for the early rounds,but what about the finals ?

When was the last time the Big 10's had 8,000 in attendance?

Thing is,NYC can draw a lot of wrestling fans from the NY/NJ and Pa. areas.

NYC also has a lot to offer,outside of wrestling.

That makes it an attractive getaway,weekend .

Good grief... Can you imagine being in an arena with 8000+ Rutgers fans screaming "Stalling!" every fifteen seconds. No thanks.

Thanks to officials like Ernie Zuberer, Joe Luongo, Vin Russo, and Mark Sherman, NJ wrestlers don’t stall and NJ fans won’t tolerate it! I’m good with the 15 second reminder.

Side by side = 8 mats/4 each conference. Each conference uses 4 mats now. We already know that the Garden can accommodate 8 mats from the NCAA's

Congratulations Bill on your induction into the USA Wrestling Hall of Fame, New York Chapter.

I've done the computer work at the EiWA's for the last 12 years. I've also been the Competition Manager for the World Championships at the Garden in 2003 and have been part of the organizing committee for the Grapple at the Garden and the 2016 NCAA's there.

This past weekend I floated the idea of having the Garden host both the EIWA and the BiG side by side with Hofstra (host of the 2016 NCAA and this year's EIWA) and Rutgers serving as the respective hosts. I spoke to the powers that be at Hofstra and they love the idea. Then I see the Rutgers announcement for 2020. I sent the proposal to my contact at the Garden who also likes the idea, at least in the abstract. I've not spoken to anyone at Rutgers.

The biggest hurdle would be to guarantee the host schools that they would not lose the significant revenue from hosting an event that only comes their way once every blue moon. And it is significant.

But I think the novelty of the idea of the two most prestigious qualifiers in the World's most famous arena should be something the wrestling community would love to see. It would be great for the sport.

Good idea. Better let Gimp know.

I can see that working for the early rounds,but what about the finals ?

Thing is,NYC can draw a lot of wrestling fans from the NY/NJ and Pa. areas.

NYC also has a lot to offer,outside of wrestling.

That makes it an attractive getaway,weekend .

Same weekend as PA and NJ state championships, there are only so many wrestling fans.